✓ Ikea
✓ Octopus Energy
✓ Ovo Energy
✓ Indeed
✓ Vodafone
✓ Specsavers
✓ LV
✓ Bosch

This is a list of companies who have withdrawn their advertising from the anti-woke channel known as GB News, but doesn’t actually seem to give any actual news.

There is footage of one of the female presenter giving someone the finger on air! And myriad errors and technical failures.

It is so heartening to know that there has been sufficient pressure from people who are appalled at the divisive character of the station.

Populism isn’t so popular after all.

Jaxjacky Thu 17-Jun-21 14:18:26

??

Ilovecheese Thu 17-Jun-21 14:19:40

This could make them feel even more "ignored".
I think it will fail by itself.

Polarbear2 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:21:37

????

M0nica Fri 18-Jun-21 10:06:37

No, shame on them. We are a country that believes in free speech and having small interest groups intimidate companies from supporting another company whose views they disagree with is oppressive an an abrogation of the freedoms we have.

I haven't watched GB News and from what I have heard I am likely to disagree profoundly with its views, but I will defend to the death their right to express those views and for companies choosing to advertise on their site to make their decision freely without being bullied and intimidated by a small and unrepresentative interest group.

growstuff Fri 18-Jun-21 10:10:01

Which small and unrepresentative interest group is bullying these companies? They have every right not to be associated with a medium, with which they disagree. The decisions will have been made for commercial reasons because they think their target audiences would be put off.

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:10:57

Shame on them? For not wanting to be associated with a right wing media organisation?

The didn't choose to advertise there, it was part of deals that they didn't know the details of. Life is rarely as straightforward as we think. All discussed in detail on another thread.

www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jun/15/brands-pull-ads-from-gb-news-tv-channel-over-content-concerns

growstuff Fri 18-Jun-21 10:12:20

I'm sure there are plenty of advertisers of stairlifts, funeral schemes and cruises, which will appeal to the target audiences.

Deedaa Fri 18-Jun-21 10:12:22

But have the advertisers been bullied and intimidated MOnica or do they just feel GB News doesn't sit well with their company policies? It seems that most of these companies were unaware that their advertisments were going to appear on this channel.

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 10:12:43

Monica those companies equally have the right not to want to be associated with a particular channel, surely ?

M0nica Fri 18-Jun-21 10:14:00

of course they do, that is what I said, but they should not be intimidated into pulling their advertising and that is clearly what has happened and is to be deplored.

Lucca Fri 18-Jun-21 10:19:35

Sorry I’m being dense but how have they been intimidated ?

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 10:23:04

Politics completely aside - it was just a bloody awful, down-market, amateurish pile of poop ?

I wouldn't want my brand (whatever that may be) associated with such dross

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:24:01

FannyCornforth

Politics completely aside - it was just a bloody awful, down-market, amateurish pile of poop ?

I wouldn't want my brand (whatever that may be) associated with such dross

?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:24:48

M0nica

of course they do, that is what I said, but they should not be intimidated into pulling their advertising and that is clearly what has happened and is to be deplored.

Honestly monica you can’t be serious ??

growstuff Fri 18-Jun-21 10:27:21

M0nica

Who's intimidated them?

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 10:29:05

M0nica - honestly, watch it. Take a deep breath, hold your nose and watch it.
Trust me, you will be disappointed

Lin52 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:33:17

growstuff

I'm sure there are plenty of advertisers of stairlifts, funeral schemes and cruises, which will appeal to the target audiences.

You mean there are no young watchers of ITV and the rest, whose adverts are full of cremation, funeral plans life insurance, walk in baths , stanza chair lifts etc.

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:33:54

M0nica

No M0nica, that's not what happened at all.

They didn't know their advertising had been sold to this channel. Advertising sales are aggregated by Sky Media on behalf of a number of different channels, including GB News. When these advertisers found out GB News had been included in their package, they asked for the ads to be pulled.

M0nica Fri 18-Jun-21 10:34:08

boycottgbnews.org/

quote from site.
If companies you buy from advertise on GB News, then you are funding the channel! Write to advertisers to tell them that is not acceptable and you will no longer use their product unless they stop. Use the Twitter hashtag #DontFundGBNews to get updates on which companies are advertising.

Most advertising was withdrawn after this campaign started and was in response to it.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:37:24

That’s not intimidation? that’s the companies reaction to loss of sales. People voting with their purse.

Happens a lot.

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:38:45

Comments from the companies in question:

Bosch works with its selected media agencies on a global scale to ensure advertising isn't shown on political channels.

This advert for Grolsch ran on the GB News channel completely without our knowledge or consent

IKEA has not knowingly advertised on GB News, and we have safeguards in place to prevent our advertising from appearing on platforms that are not in line with our humanistic values and vision to side with the many people.

We want to make it clear to everyone that our ad ran on this channel without our knowledge or consent. (Kopparberg)

We’ve not planned or purchased advertising with GB News and are investigating why this has happened. (Open University)

GrannyGravy13 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:46:35

We still have freedom of speech in the U.K. as far as I know.

There has been a left wing led #boycottGBNews campaign on Twitter and other social media platforms before it even went to air. Slightly ironic that it was assumed that GBnews was/is going to be anti cancel culture by the left whilst they in turn attempt to shut it down before it had even started?

I have dipped in a couple of times, not seen enough to form an opinion though, as I am cutting down all news viewing for a while.

growstuff Fri 18-Jun-21 10:50:47

We also have freedom for advertisers to place their ads where they want to generate the highest returns.

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:52:58

Quote from Stop Funding Hate: Brands have every right to choose where they do and don't spend their money. Voltaire never said "I'll defend to the death your right to get advertising revenue"

??