✓ Ikea
✓ Octopus Energy
✓ Ovo Energy
✓ Indeed
✓ Vodafone
✓ Specsavers
✓ LV
✓ Bosch

This is a list of companies who have withdrawn their advertising from the anti-woke channel known as GB News, but doesn’t actually seem to give any actual news.

There is footage of one of the female presenter giving someone the finger on air! And myriad errors and technical failures.

It is so heartening to know that there has been sufficient pressure from people who are appalled at the divisive character of the station.

Populism isn’t so popular after all.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:54:52

growstuff

We also have freedom for advertisers to place their ads where they want to generate the highest returns.

Absolutely, and as this new station is still getting higher viewing figures than other news channels no doubt they will be not be short of other willing advertisers.

Galaxy Fri 18-Jun-21 10:56:12

I hope they have withdrawn because of quality, which is dire, but those who think advertisers cant be intimidated and pressured are naive beyond belief.

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 11:01:25

They have withdrawn Galaxy because the brand values of the new channel are at odds with their own, or because this is a new channel and they don't have enough evidence of whether an association with this channel will enhance their own brand.

Not associating your brand with other brands that your audience doesn't support is good business, not intimidation.

(Previous advertiser, not naïve in the slightest)

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 11:02:00

Galaxy

I hope they have withdrawn because of quality, which is dire, but those who think advertisers cant be intimidated and pressured are naive beyond belief.

Of course they can be pressured. But to say that they are intimidated is a step too far.

M0nica Fri 18-Jun-21 11:04:30

In which case, why does this group exist?

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 11:06:29

To encourage the boycotting of biased news stations?

Free speech and all that - even if you don't agree with them.

M0nica Fri 18-Jun-21 11:39:26

Why should they be boycotted because they are biassed? They are doing nothing illega;l.

Can you name a single news channel that has not been accused of bias?

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 11:44:55

People will vote with their feet. Most of they brands have said that they withdrew their advertising because they didn't know that their ads were being shown on this channel. For a brand like OVO, Ikea, whatever, they are not going to want to be associated with another brand that their customers think is anti their own beliefs and standards. That's just simple business.

So, other brands will no doubt choose to be associated with the new channel. I haven't watched it long enough to see any ads, but I am sure that there are brands whose brand values match very strongly with the GB News ethos. Or who don't care.

Framilode Fri 18-Jun-21 11:48:55

It's market forces isn't it. Something that Andrew Neil for one has always supported.

Talullah Fri 18-Jun-21 11:53:47

Apparently IKEA and Moneysupermarket are back advertising. If the channel succeeds I'm sure there will be more.

inews.co.uk/news/media/moneysupermarket-and-ikea-resume-advertising-on-gb-news-following-boycott-by-major-brands-1058288

Galaxy Fri 18-Jun-21 11:54:03

Yes alegrias I have heard all that before in terms of MN advertisers being pressured to stop women talking.

Dinahmo Fri 18-Jun-21 12:10:13

Whitewavemark2

That’s not intimidation? that’s the companies reaction to loss of sales. People voting with their purse.

Happens a lot.

I remember the campaigns against Nestles baby milk and how they changed the formula as a result.

vegansrock Fri 18-Jun-21 12:16:37

How could a big company be “intimidated” by a few Tweets? I’m sure there will be companies like Wetherspoons and Dysons who will be happy to advertise on said channel despite Tweets urging them not to, although if no ones watching they won’t - it’s market forces innit?

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 12:18:25

Dinahmo I thought that all the hoo hah about baby milk was to do with it being promoted in developing countries? I thought that they were advertising it with dubious claims?

Not that I'm disagreeing with you - I'm just musing...

Dinahmo Fri 18-Jun-21 12:19:17

It's hardly surprising that GBN's viewing figures were high on its opening night because people would want to see Andrew Neil. Whether he is of sufficient interest to maintain those figures is debatable. Obviously the viewing figures for BBC and Sky News will have dropped as a result.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 12:24:56

I do wonder who exactly is watching it and why.
You may aswell listen to the radio, Talk Radio in particular.
There is very little to actually watch.
It really was very poorly thought through

Chestnut Fri 18-Jun-21 12:41:09

This channel hasn't even been going a week and already has the left tearing their hair out. It must be seen as a real threat if all this venom is anything to go by.

So once again they do what they always do, try and close down anything they don't agree with to stop people listening to it.

As usual free speech is alien concept to the left. If you don't agree with them you must be shut down.

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 12:46:36

Chestnut I don't really know where to start with your last post...

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 12:52:03

Sorry Chestnut, that wasn't very constructive of me.
Who exactly is 'tearing their hair out'?
It makes me want to poke myself in the eyes with a stick, but that's a different issue

nanna8 Fri 18-Jun-21 12:56:43

Interesting. I have never heard of Ovo, Kopparberg,Grolsh,Octopus,Indeed or LV. But then I have never heard of GB news,either. Does GB stand for Great Britain or perhaps Garbage Bags ?

FannyCornforth Fri 18-Jun-21 12:59:13

nanna8 Kopparberg make the most delicious cider. I'm surprised that you don't get it over there - it would be very popular I'm sure

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 13:00:30

Talullah

Apparently IKEA and Moneysupermarket are back advertising. If the channel succeeds I'm sure there will be more.

inews.co.uk/news/media/moneysupermarket-and-ikea-resume-advertising-on-gb-news-following-boycott-by-major-brands-1058288

They're not back advertising. They are just saying that not advertising on it doesn't mean they are boycotting it.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 18-Jun-21 13:10:01

???GB News have declared the entire constituency of Amersham “woke” according to reports on twitter.

Oh I do hope it is true????

Talullah Fri 18-Jun-21 13:15:51

Alegrias1

Talullah

They're not back advertising. They are just saying that not advertising on it doesn't mean they are boycotting it.

Well it does say they resume advertising in the headline. But who am I to doubt you!

nanna8 Fri 18-Jun-21 13:19:28

Sounds good, I will look for it. We have quite a few local ciders here in the Yarra Valley so probably they don’t want any competition!