Gransnet forums

News & politics

People blocking Lifeboat Stations.

(207 Posts)
felice Wed 01-Dec-21 12:26:21

I saw in a news article that some anti-migrant protestors have blocked a Lifeboat station stopping the Lifeboat from launching.
I have close family who are Fishermen, I am shocked that this is allowed to happen.
Surely they are endangering lives and should be charged as such ??

GagaJo Wed 01-Dec-21 12:29:46

The utter selfishness of the anti-immigrant brigade. Not caring about anyone other than themselves.

Deedaa Wed 01-Dec-21 12:32:32

The version I read said that some of the protestors were fishermen. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

felice Wed 01-Dec-21 12:35:25

I was so shocked, a friend has also put it on FB and I hope other people complain. surely something can be done about such stupid people.

Lincslass Wed 01-Dec-21 12:55:07

Can’t understand why this didn’t hit the news on the day it happened. My family told me about it on Saturday. They were so disgusted went down to the lifeboat station that day, donated and brought some gifts. My ex Merchant Navy brother also furious, it’s Maritime Law to help people at sea. Let’s hope these awful people are brought to book and fined very heavily. Wonder if the local fishermen involved will get their tickets withdrawn.

felice Wed 01-Dec-21 13:13:56

Just as an aside, Belgian Flemish lunch time news has just shown the details of this. Commenting that ships in the Channels are being put at risk by the English.
No more details but really does not look good.

grannyrebel7 Wed 01-Dec-21 13:29:53

How can anyone be so heartless! Those migrants are human beings and just how desperate can they be to risk their lives on flimsy little dinghies to cross the Channel in these freezing conditions. My heart goes out to them.

trisher Wed 01-Dec-21 14:20:01

Let's admit that this attitude has been fostered and encouraged by this right wing government and its policies about immigrants. In particular Priti Patel's upcoming Immigration Bill which breeches UN human rights and other International laws www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/12/priti-patel-borders-bill-breaches-law-human-rights
"No-one puts their children in a boat unless the water is safer than the land" A graphic poem about refugees www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/no-one-puts-their-children-in-a-boat-unless-the-wa/

lemongrove Wed 01-Dec-21 14:25:59

Can’t agree at all trisher
In any case the ‘nobody puts their child in the water unless the water is safer than the land’ scenario doesn’t apply here, unless you think that France isn’t a safe place to be.An emotive poem it may be, but silly in this context.

BlueBelle Wed 01-Dec-21 14:25:59

Hideous hideous people I cried with anger and sadness when I read this at the weekend I hope these hideously unkind people get some karma
How can anyone be so so heartless, sometimes I really despair at this country and what it’s become under this right wing government

lemongrove Wed 01-Dec-21 14:28:41

Oh give over BlueBelle it’s a few stupid protesters that’s all.

Jackiest Wed 01-Dec-21 14:32:51

lemongrove

If it was the stupid protesters that are likely to be drowned then I would not mind.

Dinahmo Wed 01-Dec-21 14:36:51

Lincslass

Can’t understand why this didn’t hit the news on the day it happened. My family told me about it on Saturday. They were so disgusted went down to the lifeboat station that day, donated and brought some gifts. My ex Merchant Navy brother also furious, it’s Maritime Law to help people at sea. Let’s hope these awful people are brought to book and fined very heavily. Wonder if the local fishermen involved will get their tickets withdrawn.

It takes some time for incidents to filter through to the news. At first the blocking of the lifeboat station wasn't believed 100% until someone who'd taken pictures disseminated the information.

lemongrove Wed 01-Dec-21 14:36:58

I expect they were moved on by the police after a short while.

flump Wed 01-Dec-21 14:42:24

There are some obnoxious b......ds about. A recent example of selfishness/heartlessness is someone who complained about the air ambulance waking them up at 4am when flying to the local hospital. This person also said they would no longer donate!!! The air ambulance apologised and pointed out they were trying to save someone's life. Both these groups are run on a charitable basis and we're damn lucky to have such caring people.

grannydarkhair Wed 01-Dec-21 14:48:52

I read a truly horrific article in the New Yorker yesterday. It was written by the founder of Outlaw Ocean Project, and it’s title was The Secretive Prisons That Keep Migrants Out Of Europe. It’s quite a long read, and heart-breaking.

eazybee Wed 01-Dec-21 14:52:17

According to the footage on twitter it was one protester who shouted, 'don't you bring back no more; that's why I have cancelled my donation to the lifeboat service.' His protest did not appear to impede the launch of the lifeboat, but others may have different information.

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Dec-21 14:58:08

I don’t know how many times this has to be repeated but these
‘poor helpless migrants’ deliberately put themselves in danger in crossing the Channel when they have left a perfectly safe France!

‘How desperate must they be?’someone asked. Maybe that’s the question.
Why are they so desperate to get here after having travelled through umpteen safe European countries?
Is it because they feel they have won the jackpot by getting to the UK?
They know that there is a virtually zero chance of them being sent home even if their asylum application is turned down. Umpteen appeals by the ever eager Human Rights lawyers will ensure that even the criminals amongst them will still be here year after year.
How can that be right?

I don’t agree with what the protesters are doing but something has to be done to stop this illegal trafficking.

Forsythia Wed 01-Dec-21 15:03:02

JenniferEccles

I don’t know how many times this has to be repeated but these
‘poor helpless migrants’ deliberately put themselves in danger in crossing the Channel when they have left a perfectly safe France!

‘How desperate must they be?’someone asked. Maybe that’s the question.
Why are they so desperate to get here after having travelled through umpteen safe European countries?
Is it because they feel they have won the jackpot by getting to the UK?
They know that there is a virtually zero chance of them being sent home even if their asylum application is turned down. Umpteen appeals by the ever eager Human Rights lawyers will ensure that even the criminals amongst them will still be here year after year.
How can that be right?

I don’t agree with what the protesters are doing but something has to be done to stop this illegal trafficking.

Quite right. Easy to be keyboard warriors on here any sympathise with these people coming over. Perhaps this protestor feels that his town, which I believe is a poor town anyway, needs to spend the money on their own first. Perhaps being in the firing line and living on the coastline he sees at first hand what we do not. There is always another point of view, no less valid than those who post on here who are not living in these coastal areas.

Lucca Wed 01-Dec-21 15:04:20

Oh dear. Plus ça change….

DiamondLily Wed 01-Dec-21 15:06:13

They need to give their heads a wobble. Lifeboats protect everyone who needs help and don’t judge who is “worthy” or not.

Rightly.

Forsythia Wed 01-Dec-21 15:08:08

Lucca

Oh dear, patronising.

Lincslass Wed 01-Dec-21 15:10:33

Jackiest

lemongrove

If it was the stupid protesters that are likely to be drowned then I would not mind.

Two wrongs do not a right make. That’s despicable.

trisher Wed 01-Dec-21 15:14:36

lemongrove

Can’t agree at all trisher
In any case the ‘nobody puts their child in the water unless the water is safer than the land’ scenario doesn’t apply here, unless you think that France isn’t a safe place to be.An emotive poem it may be, but silly in this context.

So what exactly don't you agree with lemon the fact that this government are demonising refugees? the fact that they are in breech of International law? the fact that the UK will be in breech of UN agreements?
As for describing a poem as "emotive", well fleeing your country for any reason is pretty emotive without a poem. As for "silly". Did you read it? There's nothing "silly" about it. Shocking yes, disturbing yes. But I can understand why you wouldn't want to read it.

Lucca Wed 01-Dec-21 15:15:52

Forsythia

Lucca

Oh dear, patronising.

Not at all. The same sentiments trotted out again, that’s all.

As it happens the story seems a bit exaggerated I read this :