Gransnet forums

News & politics

People blocking Lifeboat Stations.

(208 Posts)
felice Wed 01-Dec-21 12:26:21

I saw in a news article that some anti-migrant protestors have blocked a Lifeboat station stopping the Lifeboat from launching.
I have close family who are Fishermen, I am shocked that this is allowed to happen.
Surely they are endangering lives and should be charged as such ??

BlueBelle Wed 01-Dec-21 15:19:57

Really jackiest I have no intention of giving over what a disgrace some people are and if you don’t think that I feel sorry for you
I expected nothing different from you JenniferEccles have you seen how people are treated in the French camps besides that they may have family here and speak the language U.K. has been looked on as being humanitarian so that’s what they see
No one wins the jackpot coming here they often are stuck in detention centres for months or more in nit good conditions
Open your eyes and open your hearts it could be you one day knocking on someone’s door let’s hope they shut it in your face
Let’s swap some refugees for some of our work shy individuals we can throw some home grown murderers and child abusers in if you want

JenniferEccles Wed 01-Dec-21 15:28:15

But they are only in those camps because they turn up in their hundreds and congregate close to the beaches where the people smugglers launch their boats.
If they applied for asylum through the normal channels there would be no need to camp out in Calais.

Riverwalk Wed 01-Dec-21 15:28:39

JenniferEccles

I don’t know how many times this has to be repeated but these
‘poor helpless migrants’ deliberately put themselves in danger in crossing the Channel when they have left a perfectly safe France!

‘How desperate must they be?’someone asked. Maybe that’s the question.
Why are they so desperate to get here after having travelled through umpteen safe European countries?
Is it because they feel they have won the jackpot by getting to the UK?
They know that there is a virtually zero chance of them being sent home even if their asylum application is turned down. Umpteen appeals by the ever eager Human Rights lawyers will ensure that even the criminals amongst them will still be here year after year.
How can that be right?

I don’t agree with what the protesters are doing but something has to be done to stop this illegal trafficking.

It doesn't matter if they've put themselves in danger but if they get into trouble and the boat is sinking they have to be rescued surely.

And what about the children on board?

The RNLI, as with other rescue services, don't pick and choose who is deserving, thank goodness.

The rights and wrongs and solutions are for the politicians to sort out, not the volunteers.

Be thankful that it's not your children or grandchildren bobbing around in leaky inflatables.

Forsythia Wed 01-Dec-21 15:29:19

Lucca

Forsythia

Lucca

Oh dear. Plus ça change….

Oh dear, patronising.

Not at all. The same sentiments trotted out again, that’s all.

As it happens the story seems a bit exaggerated I read this :

There you go. More exaggerated lies and the real story comes out later once the damage has been done.

Bodach Wed 01-Dec-21 15:54:24

Absolutely right, Forsythia. "A lie travels halfway around the world and back while the truth is still getting its boots on".

Alegrias1 Wed 01-Dec-21 16:02:09

So the IB people gluing themselves to motorways and digging up lawns are the lowest of the low, need to have special laws brought in to keep them in order and are being a real inconvenience to all us law abiding people.

But some daft fisherman standing in front of a lifeboat in his hi-vis and trying to prevent it launching just needs to be moved on by the police and anyway the people in the water probably brought in on themselves.

What double standards. Its mind-blowing.

Lucca Wed 01-Dec-21 16:07:52

JenniferEccles

But they are only in those camps because they turn up in their hundreds and congregate close to the beaches where the people smugglers launch their boats.
If they applied for asylum through the normal channels there would be no need to camp out in Calais.

If you mean asylum here, you can’t apply for asylum until you are in this country.

Lucca Wed 01-Dec-21 16:09:20

Forsythia

Lucca

Forsythia

Lucca

Oh dear, patronising.

There you go. More exaggerated lies and the real story comes out later once the damage has been done.

Yes it happens a lot on GN like the story about drivers wearing Christmas jumpers being fined……

labazsisslowlygoingmad Wed 01-Dec-21 16:12:54

that is disgusting I have always found it bad enough the Government do not fund this amazing service but this is a step too far

GagaJo Wed 01-Dec-21 16:18:34

The belief that parents (loving, caring parents just like you and me) put their children in a precarious dingy and risk their lives just to get to what some of you see as the mythical streets paved with gold in the UK, is beyond idiotic. People that do that are desperate.

Anyone that belives anything different needs to reassess their moral compass.

Forsythia Wed 01-Dec-21 16:20:29

Lucca

Forsythia

Lucca

Forsythia

Lucca

Oh dear, patronising.

Yes it happens a lot on GN like the story about drivers wearing Christmas jumpers being fined……

Never heard that one! News to me.

Lucca Wed 01-Dec-21 16:24:43

UG (I think)posted it the other day.

Forsythia Wed 01-Dec-21 16:29:04

You know, I think we all need to chill on this. Unless you were there, none of us really know what happened. As Lucca has said above, according to The Observer it’s all been exaggerated. I guess for lorry drivers,if it were them involved, they get fined and put in prison for bringing illegal migrants in. It must gall them immensely to see the lifeboats doing the exact same thing, classed as legitimately.

Kali2 Wed 01-Dec-21 16:32:07

And today at the Blackwall Tunnel:

A group of white supremacists with longstanding links to the British far right were chased from the Blackwall tunnel by police last night after unfurling an anti-refugee banner.

About a dozen activists gathered on an overpass above the southern approach to the tunnel that runs beneath the Thames in east London and waved Union and St George’s flags.

They put up a banner that read “Exit the 1951 UN Refugee Convention now. It’s OK to preserve white nations”.

The thought of being welcome by such banners at Dover or Dartford, just makes me feel ill.

Maudi Wed 01-Dec-21 16:32:19

13:13felice

Just as an aside, Belgian Flemish lunch time news has just shown the details of this. Commenting that ships in the Channels are being put at risk by the English.
No more details but really does not look good.

Does it look good that the French police are waving them off on flimsy dinghies and are not trying to stop them, as photos in UK newspapers show, supposedly little children and babies

growstuff Wed 01-Dec-21 16:34:15

It is legitimate. The RNLI are rescuing the people from British waters, not bringing them from a different country.

Lucca Wed 01-Dec-21 16:37:40

“ They put up a banner that read “Exit the 1951 UN Refugee Convention now. It’s OK to preserve white nations”.”

That is utterly hideous.

growstuff Wed 01-Dec-21 16:37:42

labazsisslowlygoingmad

that is disgusting I have always found it bad enough the Government do not fund this amazing service but this is a step too far

The RNLI prefers not to be funded by the government, as it would then be liable for cuts whenever the government decided to cut public services.

Maudi Wed 01-Dec-21 16:40:35

15:19BlueBelle Let's swap some refugees for some of our work shy individuals we can throw some home grown murderers and child abusers in if you want

How do you know if these undocumented so called asylum seekers aren't murderers and child Abusers or worse.

Forsythia Wed 01-Dec-21 16:40:45

growstuff

It is legitimate. The RNLI are rescuing the people from British waters, not bringing them from a different country.

The end result is the same: legitimately by the lifeboats or illegitimately by lorry drivers. They get here just the same. The lorry drivers lose their jobs, their licences, they’re fined and are in some cases put in prison. Why is that deemed as fair when the lifeboats are doing the same? Who can blame these lorry drivers, if it was them, for kicking off. To them, its the in fairness of it all. As they see it.
Before anyone chips in, I’m not a lorry driver nor do I know of any.

Kali2 Wed 01-Dec-21 16:41:33

Well, it was only a few guys, and the police disbanded them and took the banners down quickly, thank goodness.

But they were very large, and expensive, professional looking banners, and loads of Union Jacks and St George's flags. No wonder those flags are in disrepute.

growstuff Wed 01-Dec-21 16:43:09

No, it's not the same at all.

The RNLI has a duty to rescue people in difficulty at sea. Lorry drivers are bringing them from another country.

growstuff Wed 01-Dec-21 16:44:08

Maudi

15:19BlueBelle Let's swap some refugees for some of our work shy individuals we can throw some home grown murderers and child abusers in if you want

How do you know if these undocumented so called asylum seekers aren't murderers and child Abusers or worse.

Why are they so called asylum seekers? They are asylum seekers.

Dinahmo Wed 01-Dec-21 16:50:47

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/nov/30/hastings-small-boat-arrivals-tensions-east-sussex-town

an article in the Guardian about the events in Hastings

eazybee Wed 01-Dec-21 16:53:47

They are 'so-called asylum seekers' because some are economic migrants.
To be given refugee status you have to prove that you were forced to leave your country of origin.
What evidence is required I do not know.