Gransnet forums

News & politics

People blocking Lifeboat Stations.

(208 Posts)
felice Wed 01-Dec-21 12:26:21

I saw in a news article that some anti-migrant protestors have blocked a Lifeboat station stopping the Lifeboat from launching.
I have close family who are Fishermen, I am shocked that this is allowed to happen.
Surely they are endangering lives and should be charged as such ??

MaizieD Sat 04-Dec-21 10:48:04

Apparently Britain First is now organising a hate campaign against the RNLI.

Britain First has launched a campaign to bombard the RNLI with complaints over English Channel crossings

It says it wants "to pressure them to abandon their support for illegal immigrant and people trafficking and focus instead on saving British lives"

twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1466700740068528133

railman Sat 04-Dec-21 11:38:34

In one of your posts Rosina you made this observation:

....the UK has always had a welcoming attitude apart from a few lunatics of the sort that prompted the original post.

Now whilst I may have taken this phrase out of context, what I found difficult to accept was the word "always" - I think most of us are of an age when we remember the "No blacks, No Irish, No Dogs" notices in B&B and guest house windows.

That was the 1950s, when many of us were at school, and it also included the dreadful Notting Hill Race Riots, and whilst that era may have passed, the recent issues at Yorkshire Cricket Club does not seem to suggest that "always" welcoming is a UK characteristic.

The challenge for the UK seems to be that the unconscious antipathy to foreigners is particularly hard to pin down and education may well be a key.

But, judging by what appears to be an upsurge in recent years, we still have some way to go.

trisher Sat 04-Dec-21 12:21:14

MaizieD

Britain First has launched a campaign to bombard the RNLI with complaints over English Channel crossings

It says it wants "to pressure them to abandon their support for illegal immigrant and people trafficking and focus instead on saving British lives"

What do they expect them to do? Just stand by and watch while people drown? Or ask for a British passport before they fish someone out of the sea? Honestly it isn't just racist it's ridiculous!

growstuff Sat 04-Dec-21 15:25:51

MaizieD

It's not either/or. The RNLI still rescues British lives.

In the days when our shores had more shipping, many of the people saved were foreign crews anyway.

GillT57 Sat 04-Dec-21 16:13:42

Britain First are a busted flush, desperate to try and stay in the public eye. Racists one and all.

GillT57 Sat 04-Dec-21 16:15:16

What do they expect them to do? Just stand by and watch while people drown? Or ask for a British passport before they fish someone out of the sea? Honestly it isn't just racist it's ridiculous. No, they will just look at the colour of their skin, but nobody is being honest enough to say that

Dickens Sat 04-Dec-21 17:11:07

"I urge you to cease these treacherous activities"

... was one of the messages sent to the RNLI.

treacherous?

Dangerous talk from dangerous people. Fortunately, I think their numbers are small.