Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sunak wealth

(34 Posts)
H1954 Fri 20-May-22 15:07:26

So Mr & Mrs Sunak rank in the top 250 wealthiest people in the U.K.??
How can we possibly take him seriously when he claims to understand people's concerns over inflation, energy prices and the cost of living?
I bet they don't have to choose between heat and eat!

Sago Fri 20-May-22 15:14:15

My male GP has no idea of what it’s like to go through the menopause, however he’s offered great advice and it’s helped enormously.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 20-May-22 15:16:03

Ditto Sago

Charleygirl5 Fri 20-May-22 15:16:34

He spends £13,000 a year heating one outdoor swimming pool and that is just for one of his houses. I think he may have 3 but I am not sure.

Apparently his children each eat different types of bread for breakfast and I doubt if it is toasted the next day. That is not exactly how the rest of us live.

Pantglas2 Fri 20-May-22 15:19:12

So men can’t be gynaecologists?

Sago Fri 20-May-22 15:25:59

Pantglas2 ?

Pantglas2 Fri 20-May-22 15:29:12

Is that not the argument being made in the OP? What am I missing?

Riverwalk Fri 20-May-22 15:37:28

Pantglas2

So men can’t be gynaecologists?

A male gynaecologist would have trained for many years in the anatomy of women and so be knowledgeable of his chosen speciality.

I have no idea of the Sunak's social background other than the wife is very wealthy. Mr Sunak is making decisions that affect us all, particularly the poorest.

If he has a history of charity work/knowledge of the life of the poor/philanthropic activity, etc then I'll put him on a par with a male gynaecologist.

rosie1959 Fri 20-May-22 15:39:08

I often wonder why he bothered to make this career choice he certainly didn’t have to he could earn far more in the private sector without half the grief he gets from it. But as this has been his choice does that mean he can’t do he chosen career because his wife happens to be extremely wealthy

Sago Fri 20-May-22 15:40:24

Pantglas2 I am saying that Mr Sunak maybe wealthy but it does not mean to say he cannot empathise, advise and help people who are struggling.
My GP is a male and will never know what it’s like to be menopausal but he has given me great help and prescribed what I needed.
I am saying male doctors can be great at understanding a woman’s problems and a rich man can help a poor man.

volver Fri 20-May-22 15:40:45

Honest to goodness, is that meant to be an argument? Gynaecologists? confused

Dunfermline's just been made a city. Carnegie was from Dunfermline. Gave all his money away, nearly, I bet if he was alive today he wouldn't be saying he can't help out because the computers won't let him.

Charleygirl5 Fri 20-May-22 15:42:43

rosie1959 it is not a case of not being able to carry out his chosen career- he does not understand how Joe/Josephine Public lives or the cost of food in a supermarket.

MayBee70 Fri 20-May-22 15:51:05

No problem with him being rich. Just have a problem about him doing nothing to help the poor in this country.

Pantglas2 Fri 20-May-22 15:54:00

? = question mark
Normally placed at the end of a question ...which is something that is asked by someone who needs some clarification/information.

Are we really at the point in politics where all MPs etc have to have come from a council house with jobless parents, attended the local primary/secondary, not gone to Uni or achieved any qualifications and are in low paid jobs before entering parliament?

Where did Blair come on that measure or did he redeem himself by marrying a woman from a single parent family? Was Thatcher better, even though she married well?

aonk Fri 20-May-22 15:56:40

So the only people allowed to become involved in politics must be from a deprived background so they can understand the difficulties encountered by so many of their voters? That won’t work very well. A knowledge of advanced economics and an understanding of national and global issues is far more useful.

Calendargirl Fri 20-May-22 16:00:13

Margaret Thatcher was a grocer’s daughter, as we are constantly told.

Humble beginnings.

MayBee70 Fri 20-May-22 16:04:50

aonk

So the only people allowed to become involved in politics must be from a deprived background so they can understand the difficulties encountered by so many of their voters? That won’t work very well. A knowledge of advanced economics and an understanding of national and global issues is far more useful.

Maybe a knowledge of global economics should result in a government that can handle the economy is such a way that we don’t have people unable to pay their fuel bills or having to rely on food banks. I think bankers just know how to help people that have money…I don’t think they have experience of people that don’t have any.

Pantglas2 Fri 20-May-22 16:10:49

But none of them were born bankers were they?

They all had different experiences of privilege growing up - the suggestion that having money in later life makes you forget others struggles isn’t necessarily so.

MaizieD Fri 20-May-22 16:23:58

The problem with Sunak is that, although he knows about banking and making money he knows nothing about political economy.

It is beyond me why he went into politics in the first place. It's becoming clear that he's not much interested in the wellbeing of UK citizens. I can only think that his 'vision' was to try to ensure that the country is run for the benefit of the wealthy.

Adam Smith, one of the 'fathers of economics' (whose ideas have been much misinterpreted over the years) had this to say about legislative proposals from those who 'lived by profit':

The proposal of any new law or regulation of commerce which comes from this order ought always to be listened to with great precaution, and ought never to be adopted till after having been long and carefully examined, not only with the most scrupulous, but with the most suspicious attention. It comes from an order of men, whose interest is never exactly the same with that of the publick, who have generally an interest to deceive and even to oppress the publick, and who accordingly have, upon many occasions, both deceived and oppressed it.”

dboucoyannis.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/9/3/13938365/smith_paper_oct_2013.pdf

AGAA4 Fri 20-May-22 16:32:48

I don't care about Sunak's personal financial situation. What I do care about is the people who can't afford to eat and heat their homes while he sits on the fence doing what appears to be nothing.

MayBee70 Fri 20-May-22 16:55:09

And votes against any policies that might help them. Along with most of the other MP’s from his party.

paddyann54 Fri 20-May-22 19:09:28

Is he in politics to increase his wealth ata much faster pace than he would without his connections? His FIL is apparently in reciept of hundreds of millions from the public purse for the Rwanda fiasco...he owns the land the proposed detention centres wer to be built,his wife had her hand in the till for furlough for companies that went bust after she's taken the
money
.Coincidence ?
I dont think so,he looked like a good guy until these things surfaced and no doubt there will be more.Toxic and Tories ,in this case it is ALL about the money .For them and their like ,let the rest of us go without ,save them pensions or healthcare when thousands of poor folk die next winter !

timetogo2016 Fri 20-May-22 19:25:11

The haves and the have nots are on different planets.
How can the haves know anything about struggling to pay bills etc.
And yet they sit there running and ruining lives on a day to day basis, and having the nerve to tell people to buy the cheapest supermarket food.
Were not bluddy stupid robots.

Sago Fri 20-May-22 20:13:45

He is not there to increase his wealth, he would have earned a lot more had he continued to work for the hedge fund.

MaizieD Fri 20-May-22 20:29:44

Sago

He is not there to increase his wealth, he would have earned a lot more had he continued to work for the hedge fund.

No, he's there to serve the interests of the already wealthy.