Gransnet forums

News & politics

*”Boris is a w*nker”* chant at the cricket.

(54 Posts)
Esspee Tue 05-Jul-22 11:40:50

Somehow it didn’t make the BBC news bulletins but videos are widely available online.
Can we look forward to chanting at other public events being transmitted live? Tennis anyone?
The mood of the country needs to be expressed publicly as the government is pretending not to notice and discontent is building towards a summer of action.

Casdon Tue 05-Jul-22 11:51:59

I’ve just seen it - it comes to something when a cricket crowd chants something like that, politics isn’t usually on the agenda, they are well behaved.

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Jul-22 11:59:31

I do hope the Wimbledon crowd don't wreck the tennis with shouting like that.
It's bad enough with Kyrgios and his obscenities.

Some places are appropriate for protests, others not.

Smileless2012 Tue 05-Jul-22 12:00:44

I agree Callistemon there's a time and a place and IMO Wimbledon is neither.

Chewbacca Tue 05-Jul-22 12:04:36

It was bad enough that Cliff Richard stood up and warbled at Wimbledon.

Jaxjacky Tue 05-Jul-22 12:05:23

If Wimbledon isn’t, the cricket isn’t either.

Smileless2012 Tue 05-Jul-22 12:06:17

Oh Chewbacca I thought he was rather good.

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Jul-22 12:34:34

Jaxjacky

If Wimbledon isn’t, the cricket isn’t either.

It's just not cricket, is it JaxJacky!

annodomini Tue 05-Jul-22 13:17:15

Cliff is himself a Centre Court tradition. He never fails to attend and I remember that, on one rainy day, he took it on himself to entertain the crowd. So it wasn't inappropriate that he took part in the centenary of the Centre Court. 'Summer Holiday' took me right back to the 50s and 60s.
I've been 'converted' by my family to enjoying test cricket and was delighted to get back home this morning to see the winning runs scored at Edgbaston.

Jaxjacky Tue 05-Jul-22 13:20:04

Indeed not Callistemon
Good wasn’t it annodomini Bairstow is a machine.

mokryna Tue 05-Jul-22 13:29:10

Will the new public order bill be enforced because it was ‘too noisy’?

Mamardoit Tue 05-Jul-22 13:49:09

Pity we couldn't all watch/listen. The home test matches should be free to view. I can never understand why we have the tennis but very little other live sport on the BBC.

Ilovecheese Tue 05-Jul-22 13:49:32

Terribly course language in the chant. Almost as bad as saying something was "spaffed up the wall".

GagaJo Tue 05-Jul-22 13:54:45

Coarse language for a coarse man. Not for nothing are his initials BJ.

He's an embarrassment to the country. We're a laughing stock with him in the same way the US was a laughing stock with Trump.

One a leader with the initials of a sexual act that he'll go down (sorry!) in history for being known for, the other with the name of a fart.

GagaJo Tue 05-Jul-22 13:56:39

Link

www.youtube.com/shorts/ignk_PHLFWs

FannyCornforth Tue 05-Jul-22 13:59:56

The awful thing about Cliff was that I think that the audience were supposed to join in, and no one did.
The miserable so and so’s.
I felt really sorry for him.

FannyCornforth Tue 05-Jul-22 14:01:16

Ilovecheese

Terribly course language in the chant. Almost as bad as saying something was "spaffed up the wall".

And in relation to the historic sex abuse enquiries too.
Vile specimen

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 05-Jul-22 14:02:35

I was chatting to my brother in Australia today. He wondered whether it was time for us to get the pitchforks out and march on Parliament.

Iam64 Tue 05-Jul-22 14:06:30

Ilovecheese

???

GagaJo Tue 05-Jul-22 14:06:58

Ladyleftfieldlover

I was chatting to my brother in Australia today. He wondered whether it was time for us to get the pitchforks out and march on Parliament.

I couldn't agree more! We're way past the point of hoping they'll sort themselves out.

timetogo2016 Tue 05-Jul-22 14:12:37

I have just spat my pork pie out with laughter Chewbacca.
LOL,thank you.

Teacheranne Tue 05-Jul-22 14:13:19

Casdon

I’ve just seen it - it comes to something when a cricket crowd chants something like that, politics isn’t usually on the agenda, they are well behaved.

I’m not so sure that cricket fans were well behaved. My son and daughter were at the first day of the test match this week and said that there were some awful racist chants heard when the Indian team came out. My children were upset that so called fans would behave like that.

Esspee Tue 05-Jul-22 14:13:24

Everyone I know is furious that the country is being headed by a man who has shown himself, time and time again to be a lying, immoral fool. The Conservative party is too spineless to act which will condemn them to oblivion in the next general election. It is inevitable that the population will rise up to make their voices heard.
Anyone else want to join the chant “Get Boris out!”?

Glorianny Tue 05-Jul-22 14:17:32

There's a great N East performance poet called Harry Gallagher who does a poem called Boris just Lies. It's basically a list of things with "Boris just lies" as a repeating line which the audience always joins in with enthusiastically. It's written here northeastbylines.co.uk/boris-just-lies/
But seeing it performed is best.

Doodledog Tue 05-Jul-22 14:33:35

GagaJo

Link

www.youtube.com/shorts/ignk_PHLFWs

Thank you. I had tried googling to find it but failed.

I wouldn't want to see/hear regular politics at sporting events, but a spontaneous outburst seems fair enough, and you can't argue with the sentiment.