Gransnet forums

News & politics

Strikes in France as retirement age raised to ... 64!

(44 Posts)
Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 11:28:31

Feels strange- as most of us in UK and Europe have got used to 65 for such a long time.

Then 66, and now 68 planned!!!

halfpint1 Mon 30-Jan-23 11:41:01

Yes I feel the same way.

NorthFace Mon 30-Jan-23 11:46:29

The ‘Centre for Social Justice’ (CSJ) founded by Iain Duncan Smith, the former work & pensions secretary, has proposed far steeper increases.

It suggests changing the state pension age to 70 by 2028 and to 75 by 2035. The CSJ said, ‘The ageing population and the increasing Old Age Dependency Ratio (OADR) is raising serious concerns about long term fiscal sustainability in the UK. If we expect [the state pension] to continue in the future along with the full functioning of public services … the UK’s fiscal balance must be corrected.’

The OADR measures the ratio between the population of elderly people (65 or over) and those of working age.

At present there are just over 28 people over 65 for every 100 people between the ages of 15 and 64. However, the OADR is predicted to hit 48 by 2050.

The CSJ says that its proposals are justified because people are living longer, pointing out that average life expectancy was around 50 when the state pension was introduced, but is now 81.

Source -

www.unbiased.co.uk/news/financial-adviser/increase-state-pension-age-to-75-proposes-think-tank

sodapop Mon 30-Jan-23 12:33:20

There have been many protests here over Macron's retirement plans Fleuerpepper more planned for tomorrow. There are a lot of inequalities within the French system which need to be addressed.

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 12:48:02

Of course, lots of inequalities in the UK system too. And yet everyone seems to grumble but do absolutely nothing about the retirement age beint raise to 66 and planned for 68

Joseanne Mon 30-Jan-23 13:27:52

If only. Should have stayed in France!

Casdon Mon 30-Jan-23 13:32:09

NorthFace

The ‘Centre for Social Justice’ (CSJ) founded by Iain Duncan Smith, the former work & pensions secretary, has proposed far steeper increases.

It suggests changing the state pension age to 70 by 2028 and to 75 by 2035. The CSJ said, ‘The ageing population and the increasing Old Age Dependency Ratio (OADR) is raising serious concerns about long term fiscal sustainability in the UK. If we expect [the state pension] to continue in the future along with the full functioning of public services … the UK’s fiscal balance must be corrected.’

The OADR measures the ratio between the population of elderly people (65 or over) and those of working age.

At present there are just over 28 people over 65 for every 100 people between the ages of 15 and 64. However, the OADR is predicted to hit 48 by 2050.

The CSJ says that its proposals are justified because people are living longer, pointing out that average life expectancy was around 50 when the state pension was introduced, but is now 81.

Source -

www.unbiased.co.uk/news/financial-adviser/increase-state-pension-age-to-75-proposes-think-tank

It’s like Logan’s Run. The aim is for people to work until they die, that’s what small state means.

paddyann54 Mon 30-Jan-23 13:38:55

Life expectency in large parts of Scotland is still mid to late 50's for men ,is this yet another way of making us pay more than our share to the treasury? Women of course cant claim on their husbands pensions,state pensions so this appears ill thought out for a portion of the Scottish public as their contributions go back in the pot

grandtanteJE65 Mon 30-Jan-23 13:45:06

Fleurpepper

Feels strange- as most of us in UK and Europe have got used to 65 for such a long time.

Then 66, and now 68 planned!!!

Where do you live?

I was born in 1951 and so was able to retire at 67. My husband was born in 1956 and, unless they change the law again, will be able to retire this year, after his birthday in July. Those born in the 1960s can retire at 68 and 69. Anyone born in or after 1970 will not qualify for a pension before they are 70. These are the Danish figures.

Germany is raising retirement age from 65 til 67 in the course of the next few years. In the Netherlands you can retire at 66 and 10 months this year, but will have to wait until you are 67 next year.

So no, Europe is no longer used to 65 as retirement age.

halfpint1 Mon 30-Jan-23 13:51:59

I've listened to alot of 'pension talk'this last week on the French media and not once have I heard the comparison to other countries mentioned. The media seem only intent on whipping up opposition against change.

Joseanne Mon 30-Jan-23 14:11:56

Interesting halfpint but is that because France is feeling a bit smug?

halfpint1 Mon 30-Jan-23 14:21:27

I feel the French are being shielded from the reality of other countries

Mamie Mon 30-Jan-23 14:21:39

No I think it is French miserablism at work Joseanne. "Everything in France is terrible we have to work longer" "Isn't it worse in other countries?" "Oh yes we wouldn't want to be there". 😂
On a personal note I am wondering how early I have to set off for my dental appointment tomorrow. No public transport - fewer people at work? Schools closed - fewer cars? "Escargot" on the ring road? Hmm better allow an extra hour. 🤔

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 14:34:37

GrandeTante, I was also born in 1951, BD coming up very soon.

But my point is that in most countries it is 65, and being raised above. And yet France is striking en masse for a raise to 64- which is what most countries would dream of.

1987H2001M2002Inanny Mon 30-Jan-23 14:37:57

Are the government only interested in us if we're paying tax and not costing them anything? I guess we're surpus to requirement when we retire.

Joseanne Mon 30-Jan-23 14:44:38

Mamie

No I think it is French miserablism at work Joseanne. "Everything in France is terrible we have to work longer" "Isn't it worse in other countries?" "Oh yes we wouldn't want to be there". 😂
On a personal note I am wondering how early I have to set off for my dental appointment tomorrow. No public transport - fewer people at work? Schools closed - fewer cars? "Escargot" on the ring road? Hmm better allow an extra hour. 🤔

You name me smile. Wasn't it Schopenhauer (German), who said something along the lines of, "Other parts of the world have their monkeys, in Europe, we have French people. It evens out".
Totally egocentric and self absorbed.
Good luck getting to the dentist!

Joseanne Mon 30-Jan-23 14:45:52

Oops, in case anyone doesn't know me, I love the French! 🇫🇷

sodapop Mon 30-Jan-23 15:28:32

I have a meeting tomorrow as well Mamie I will take the back roads and set off much earlier than usual. Good luck with your dental appointment.

Mamie Mon 30-Jan-23 15:50:19

sodapop

I have a meeting tomorrow as well Mamie I will take the back roads and set off much earlier than usual. Good luck with your dental appointment.

Last time we took the back roads to the dentist to avoid a strike we got hit by a wild boar galloping across the road. It was a very expensive trip. 😂

Fleurpepper Mon 30-Jan-23 15:55:23

poor wild boar, what happened to him? Hope killed outright and not escaped badly injured.

Mamie Mon 30-Jan-23 16:00:26

Charged off again so who knows? There is some weird law about not claiming on the insurance, but suing the local hunt. We just paid for the repairs.

Callistemon21 Mon 30-Jan-23 16:05:59

Fleurpepper

poor wild boar, what happened to him? Hope killed outright and not escaped badly injured.

If he was the motorist coming along afterwards could pick him up and make sausages.
Or is that only the law in the UK?

We're often in danger of hitting wild boar here, and sheep. And deer. They think the roads were built for them.

Callistemon21 Mon 30-Jan-23 16:06:48

Mamie

Charged off again so who knows? There is some weird law about not claiming on the insurance, but suing the local hunt. We just paid for the repairs.

Oh, relief! The adult ones are quite tough!

Grantanow Mon 30-Jan-23 16:07:34

Another planet!

Joseanne Mon 30-Jan-23 16:24:12

There's a gruesone bit in Raymond Blanc's book about him and his brother hunting a wild boar for Christmas lunch. The creature spears one of the hunting dogs in the stonach with his tusk, luckily the vet saves the dog's life. So take care!
Anyway, in typical French fashion Raymond goes on to say French wild boar has a redder flesh, the colour of blackcurrant and it smells wonderful. The wild boar in Britain he says is whitefish like pig. 🐗 v 🐖