Gransnet forums

Chat

Nominate a local hero for the Churchill Awards

(3 Posts)
GeraldineGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 27-Mar-13 17:39:41

We're teaming up with The Telegraph and Churchill Retirement Living to celebrate people who are doing great things after the age of 65 by supporting the brand new Churchill Awards. As well as a series of categories chosen by a panel of judges, there's a special Community Award for local heroes (/heroines), people who put themselves out for others and give a lot to their local communities, which will be based on nominations from gransnetters.

If you know someone who deserves to be publicly recognised, nominate them here or by emailing us at [email protected], telling us in no more than 100 words why they deserve to win the award.

Nominations close on 9 April.

lacwhedy Thu 28-Mar-13 16:05:14

Nomination for the Churchill award for Alice Anson (aged 88)
After over 40 years of volunteering with Charities, founder of some and founder member of Gingerbread Harrow, Rape Crisis, Womens Aid, Chatteltruck and Harrow Women's Centre, Alice is now partly retired but still an active Trustee of Harrow Women's Centre where she organises and runs the "Older Women's Group" and participates in many events.
She still collects and delivers small furniture to needy families and gives lifts as and when required and crochets large blankets which she auctions for the Women's Centre.
She is still happily married after 61 years.

nannylynn Fri 05-Apr-13 16:42:44

I would like to nominate Sheila Bringeman. She lives in Peterborough. She is 70+ and runs 3 art groups in the local community. She is a great art teacher and gives of her knowledge and experience for. She loves jazz and is an inspiration to all of us. I hope I can as enthusiastic and have a zeal for life when I'm her age! I would love it if she was successful in this nomination.