Gransnet forums

Chat

My Birthday and I don't like any fuss.

(111 Posts)
JonesKpj000 Sun 30-Jun-19 15:56:14

It's my birthday today. and I just hate celebrating it. I have had texts and cards and been for a lovely walk with my husband and dog. I walk most days and am happy just having a normal day. Am I being miserable or does anyone else feel like this on their special day?

Razzy Mon 01-Jul-19 00:02:51

I've always had disappointing birthdays, from when I was a kid, so I came to really dislike birthdays. It is right after Christmas and no one ever wants to do anything then, they haven't got any money, and they just don't want to help me celebrate. So I've given up. I treat like any normal day, but will probably plan something nice to do if not at work, maybe buy a nice ready made dinner, or have lunch out on my own. I've come to not rely on others, despite having a family!
My OH is like a 5 year old when it comes to HIS birthday. We all have to bow down and he has to have the perfect day or he'll be throwing tantrums left right and centre.
It really irks me because only his birthday is sacred, he makes zero effort for anyone else's.
So - it's not that I don't want to celebrate its just that my expectations have reached new depths over the years!

JonesKpj000 Mon 01-Jul-19 04:26:18

Thank you all for your comments. Some very funny and some sad. Happy birthday Bellasnana for today. I'm sorry about your sister. I too lost mine at 67 on Valentines Day this year from a catastrophic stroke. She lasted 2 years and it was just heartbreaking. All her family went out of their way for me yesterday as they do not live locally. I thought about her lots yesterday. This was my first time posting on here yesterday and it won't be my last, so thank you all again for your kind and thoughtful words, and I really did enjoy my day.

downtoearth Mon 01-Jul-19 06:14:08

Razzy Its the pits having your birthday just after christmas mine is the 29th and I feel exactly as you do.
I vowed I would have summer babies and managed it,and always gave parties for them and a fuss on their birthday,from one dissapointed capricorn to anotherflowers

BradfordLass72 Mon 01-Jul-19 08:20:35

Blimey, I LOVE a fuss grin on my birthday

I like the full, all-out happy bash with food, drink (non-alcoholic in honour of those whose medication will make them drop dead if they sip sherry)...even music for the guests.

For my 70th I had green hair and the musician sang, 'Silver threads amongst the green.'

Here's a picture of me on one of my birthdays grin

PamelaJ1 Mon 01-Jul-19 09:51:19

I’m going to spend the night at a lovely hotel on the coast tonight to celebrate mine with my husband.
My daughter in Australia will ring me up later in the week on my real birthday to sing happy birthday accompanied by her DH and bird. It sings too!
Then on Saturday we’re out to lunch with DD and family who live near us.
So 3 birthdays in one week. How good can it get?
Well actually on my actual birthday I am going to a funeral, a good friend, so the day itself won’t be very joyful.
So, I do like birthdays but couldn’t care if I get cards or pressies.
I always make sure the lady across the road gets one though, it’s very important to her. She got 26 this year!

NfkDumpling Mon 01-Jul-19 10:26:01

For me a ‘Big Birthday” is an excuse for a bit of a do. I don’t particularly want presents. Just cards and company. Other birthdays went out the window when I had our first born 45 years ago on my birthday eve and I never got them back. I can’t say I particularly missed them, but I do like a bit of a do occasionally.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 01-Jul-19 10:27:32

You sound like me - perhaps you don't enjoy being the centre of attention? Have a nice birthday and I hope it goes as you wish.

Lazigirl Mon 01-Jul-19 10:36:08

Sorry I'm late to the "party" JonesK. Many happy returns for yesterday from another cancerian ??. I think you can divide the world into those who like to celebrate birthdays, and those that don't. I'm one of the latter and prefer to go away for special occasions. Perhaps it stems from childhood memories, happy or otherwise?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 01-Jul-19 10:39:34

Yippee my birthday month has just begun ??????

GabriellaG54 Mon 01-Jul-19 10:41:51

BradfordLass72
Wow!! What an uplifting picture.
You sure know how to celebrate.

Minshy Mon 01-Jul-19 10:42:06

Have a happy day x

Shalene777 Mon 01-Jul-19 10:45:14

I am exactly the same. I tell everyone not to buy cards for me as they are such a waste of money. If people want to text or say Happy Birthday I can cope with that. I usually end up with 3 or 4 cards and then we get a takeaway for tea and that is just fine by me. I'm not bothered by the age increase I just don't see the fuss.

jaylucy Mon 01-Jul-19 10:45:35

I think you get to a point when you think "been there, done that" and don't want to be reminded of the years slipping by!
My last 2 big birthdays were horrendous ! 50th, my son sent me off to be pampered - varnish on toe nails wouldn't dry so was an hour late getting home to "SURPRISE" family all in the house (no friends!) they stayed long enough for the cake to be cut and then all left!
60th, son again arranged a surprise party - this time in local village hall - just family again, no friends. We all sat round in a circle looking at each other, no music or anything, new heating system in hall not working so we all had our coats on.
This year I had absolutely nothing - birthday a week after Christmas so cards etc given then, no visitors and son was in bed with the flu, no card or present from him at all.
So after that, I won't be bothering either and joining the What Birthday? Club!!

theretheredear Mon 01-Jul-19 10:49:52

Mine this weeksmile
Mums today, she would have been 76 & i miss her so much.
Happy birthday to all the cancerians out there.. ?

Saggi Mon 01-Jul-19 10:49:55

No Jones...you’re not alone. I don’t care for birthdays either ...they’re for kids and grandkids to enjoy. And before anyone says I’m miserable I’m not. It’s not the age thing either, I’ve never cared about them since about 25. It’s just another day to me. I’m 68 and reasonable fit and active ....I personally thinks it’s the mother who should get the fuss on our birthdays....I always brought and sent my mum a bouquet on my birthday. It seems more apt to me!

luckyme2b Mon 01-Jul-19 10:50:51

Have a good day doing what pleases you most BUT don’t be too selfish, allow those who love you to show that they love you.
Consider those who are alone and would love to have someone to share their day. Think how lucky you are.

Tillybelle Mon 01-Jul-19 10:51:54

JonesKpj000. Me too. I hope it's still ok to say Happy Birthday though! I don't like people making a fuss, like you. I have a big one with a 0 coming up and luckily it looks as if the children have arranged something which just means I will be with them and the Grandchildren for the day.

You aren't alone in this, there are loads of us! Starting with my Dad, the first I came across, then I realised when I was about 8 I really didn't want a party, then as I grew older I met so many more people just like us.

Have a lovely, simple, normal day with your dear husband! ???

Tillybelle Mon 01-Jul-19 10:53:17

theretheredear. Happy Birthday for this week. So sorry about your Dear Mum. ??

driverann Mon 01-Jul-19 10:55:03

On my birthday I like to go to our fantastic naturist club and have a wonderful swim in my birthday suit. We go many other times in the year as well but always on my birthday.
Happy birthday to you.

00mam00 Mon 01-Jul-19 10:56:20

It’s my birthday today, we always celebrate with family lunch, presents and cards. I do like being the centre of attention and make it last. Yesterday took family out to lunch then today they will drop by with cards and presents when they finish work, that reminds me, maybe I had better make a cake! ????

Quizzer Mon 01-Jul-19 10:57:36

I dread my birthdays. Not cos I'm another year older, but because of the awful gifts i have received from DH. These include a camera that HE wanted and tickets for a show that we had already bought earlier. confused

whywhywhy Mon 01-Jul-19 10:57:39

Sorry but I love plenty of fuss! It's my birthday and everyone had better not forget it! Only joking but I do like to see my kids and grand kids on or around the day and I have a lovely day out with hubby. x

Sheilasue Mon 01-Jul-19 10:58:47

If your doing the things you want to do on your birthday then that’s your choice,
Mine is next week, I we be celebrating with dh, dd,gd. We go for a meal when it’s our birthdays. So I am looking forward to that.
Happy birthday ?

Tillybelle Mon 01-Jul-19 10:59:16

To all of you having a Birthday this week Happy Birthday!! ?????????

GrandmaJan Mon 01-Jul-19 10:59:34

It was my birthday last week and I spent the day at home with DH then we went to the local pub for something to eat. That’s not unusual as we’re both retired. I don’t like any fuss and as it’s your day just do what you feel comfortable doing. Happy birthday flowers