Gransnet forums

Chat

Points system for immigrants from next year

(248 Posts)
Dottynan Wed 19-Feb-20 07:04:34

Government are proposing to bring in a points based system from next year. Immigrants will need a job offer, earn at least £25600 and speak English. A good thing or not

Greymar Fri 21-Feb-20 16:35:34

Hey there pinkquartz, I want to be crystal clear, I know, because I have done care work! I rather naively thought I could perhaps be helpful and meet a few people and so on. What I discovered about the industry was horryfying.

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 16:42:50

The next general election will sort out the wheat from the chaff.

I'm very excited to be able to hold my MP's feet to the fire, finally.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 21-Feb-20 17:06:54

It really does look like deliberate destruction of the care service. Is that the plan for care Johnson said he had?

As he hasn't been seen recently I expect he and his little friend are working on the budget. Perhaps he is working out a way to tell us that in his world there is no need for care. Miraculously, all will be well. Who knows.

Greymar Fri 21-Feb-20 18:25:25

His dad, I believe is about to sell one of their homes for 2.5 million? Tough old life

Barmeyoldbat Fri 21-Feb-20 20:28:49

The crop pickers from the EU are usually provided with accommodation to live in on the farm so they come over for the season live in and then go back home. I expect that this is the reason many of our own people don't want to do the job, either you have to take a bus which is a joke or run a car which is expensive. You live in London and you need to go the Kent to pick the crops how do you do it without living in.

As for the care workers, well I have jut come back from a 3 day stay with my daughter while the house is being decorating and I can't praise the care staff enough. The manager even did a shift of 1 hours today.

Also there are nurses claiming tax credits, mu own gd, a caseworker claims, even the staff at the job centre or whatever they call it claim tax credits. So something is wrong somewhere and I don't think we can blame it on seasonal workers.

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 20:45:05

Crop pickers were locals up until 2004.
Fact.

Big business getting us to subsidize their profits with working tax credits etc.

Good times!

paddyanne Fri 21-Feb-20 21:50:46

Crop pickers haven't been "local" in decades here ,The population around the berry growing area is tiny.The workforce just isn't available.Our berries are renowned world wide and they will rot on the bushes without the EU workers who come in at the start of the season and go home at the end of it .Johnston and the WM government will be happy to see Scottish produce die .They're doing to us what they did to colonies ,only we're supposed to be a partner not a colony

ananimous Fri 21-Feb-20 21:53:10

Honestly, I do not see our crops rotting at all, anywhere in the UK.

Yehbutnobut Sat 22-Feb-20 09:22:53

And you have been out and about, up and down the country, checking this out for yourself ananimous? ???

Yehbutnobut Sat 22-Feb-20 09:26:01

I lived in a rural crop-growing area for 20 years. The farmers employed foreign nationals, mainly Spaniards, over the picking season. Plus a handful of local students.

The farmers relied on them and still do.

Firecracker123 Sat 22-Feb-20 09:33:00

Don't worry after Storm Ciara and Storm Dennis there won't be any crops to pick.

Greta Sat 22-Feb-20 10:26:02

Oh well, Firecracker123, if there won't be any crops that would be rather disastrous. But then we might qualify for aid under the EU Solidarity Fund scheme. This is the scheme that gives support to disaster-stricken regions in Europe. But no – we prefer to manage our own affairs. After all, that's what we voted for, no more interference from the EU.

ananimous Sat 22-Feb-20 12:16:40

Getting "some" of our own cash back...seems legit.

ananimous Sat 22-Feb-20 12:21:10

What will we miss about the EU? Cheap flow of drones? I think they have that covered with global supplies.

Crop pickers? - they have special credit toward the points system.

Free movement towards our slum housing - Yes the big wigs will facillitate that too.
Why the sandy ladygarden?
No change actually...move along.. nothing to see here...

ananimous Sat 22-Feb-20 12:22:17

FYI: "seems legit" means Lol!

Urmstongran Sat 22-Feb-20 12:28:53

Tony Blair signed up to the E.U. directive something or other that decreed no dredging of canals and leaving rivers to silt up naturally at the edges to certain levels. Perhaps all this eco meddling has contributed to the mess we now find ourselves in regards flooding. So much for wanting their money to clear it up! Maybe this is why we now get more floods? Bad housekeeping.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 22-Feb-20 13:15:56

Pinkquartz I have been away for a few days,, caring, and this is my first chance I have to apologies to you for using your name in my post instead of Quizqueen. Sorry,

I still stand by what I said but should have said Quizqueen
was a rude person etc. I am very happy to see that her awful post has been deleted.

Firecracker123 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:07:32

Greta our own money back lol no thanks we are out of the EU now.

pinkquartz Sat 22-Feb-20 17:18:28

Barmyoldbat its ok a poster explained what had happened.
no apology needed, but thank you smile

Coolio007 Fri 01-May-20 08:45:07

GillT57
I can explain the difference between now and 45 plus years ago.

Years ago, people came to do specific jobs ie pick fruit and veg then at the end of the season go home or move on to another country where there is work. Indeed, between college and Uni grape picking in Italy, earn a bit of cash was the thing to do. Nowadays, the pickers can bring their families who then demand homes and also because of low wage, tax credits and so it goes on. Here in Portugal we have noted that the country are bringing in pickers from India, S E Asian counties etc. Why? The pickers from here are all over Europe living and picking there because they can earn more. Something, somewhere has gone terribly wrong.

Hetty58 Fri 01-May-20 08:56:04

Other countries have had points systems quite sucessfully, for decades. Therefore we could do the same. We should be paying care staff and agricultural workers decent wages anyway.

Coolio007 Tue 05-May-20 07:49:36

Quite agree Hetty58