Gransnet forums

Chat

Magazines - entertaining or demoralising?

(161 Posts)
hamster58 Wed 16-Jun-21 15:56:32

I’m sure I didn’t notice this until quite recently but I wonder if others feel this way…. If I read most magazines aimed at women my age, they are filled with articles about superwomen who can seemingly achieve several careers at once, or articles telling me the signs for endless illnesses ( physical or mental), clothes that are either impractical and/or outrageously priced, and recipes which are super complicated but don’t need to be. I end up feeling irritated by such magazines and far less relaxed than before I started!! Am I an old grouch or does anyone else agree?…

JaneJudge Wed 16-Jun-21 21:30:15

I bought the other ones in the co-op and used the self service checkout grin

Aveline Wed 16-Jun-21 21:37:26

Does nobody admit to reading the People's Friend?

62Granny Wed 16-Jun-21 21:38:35

Yes I feel the same about the ones I read, I don't buy any , one is free via our bank account and I feel like you most of the articles try to sell you some type of surreal lifestyle , I might download another on my kindle via kindle unlimited but I am just glad I don't pay the £2/3 cost of them.

SueDonim Wed 16-Jun-21 21:42:17

I have Landscape magazine, too. The photography is beautiful. I currently have a cheap subscription to Sainburys magazine, too. Their recipes are usually pretty quick and easy and the non-food stuff is all reasonable stuff, too, that you might find in their stores.

Now I think about it, I also took out a sub to some puzzle magazines during lockdown last year, to keep my brain cranking over!

NotTooOld Wed 16-Jun-21 22:50:47

Grandmajean

I used to like Good Housekeeping but don't buy it any more. Got really fed up with the "I love getting older" articles from famous women whose photos have so obviously been treated to wrinkle removal. I also got tired of the Christmas editions where everybody was hosting a fantastic family event . Haven;t bough a magazine for ages .

I so agree, especially about the Christmas editions, which can make one feel very depressed, and the 'getting older - how wonderful' articles which frequently feature Helen Mirren or Joanna Lumley. But my pet hate is the fashion section. Are there really people out there who pay £500 for a winter coat? What madness is this? And then there are the interior design sections 'showcasing' posh houses in the Cotswolds. And I must mention the recipes, lavishly illustrated, which have me yawning before I'm half way through reading the extremely long list of ingredients. No, women's mags are not for me. I much prefer The Oldie which contains interesting and informative articles as well as lots of humour (and ads at the back for 'discrete massages with attractive continental lady'. What's that all about? grin)

NotTooOld Wed 16-Jun-21 22:52:04

Aveline - no, definitely not!

CanadianGran Wed 16-Jun-21 23:04:09

I love magazines! They have been my 20 minute morning coffee routine for years before the rest of the house woke up.

The only gripe I have now is how thin they are this past couple of years. I enjoy a good fat magazine, even the ads. The Canadian ones I get aren't too trival, and do not focus on celebrities, and I enjoy UK Women and Home, which I can get at my local newsagent/book shop.

DillytheGardener Wed 16-Jun-21 23:15:46

Country Life occasionally and the Financial Times on the weekend. My elder son and dil bought it when they lived here in pre pandemic times and I enjoyed the crosswords and recipes so kept buying it after they moved. The How To Spend it insert does make me laugh, how the other half live eh? Tbh I enjoy the catalogues from hush, Boden and next rather than the glossies. Those magazines clothing items do not cater for big chested mothers of two adult children grin.

DillytheGardener Thu 17-Jun-21 00:05:23

Aveline I’ll admit to a sneaky when it is at a doctors office or at my MIL’s when she is getting DH to do chores for her. It’s a bit like a cup of tea, cosy and comforting.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Jun-21 07:29:11

I subscribe to Private Eye
I used to love Vogue in the 90s, but no longer
My dad passes on his old copies of The Spectator (we are a politically diverse family!)
I sometimes buy Derbyshire Life, in an aspirational sort of way.
Women's magazines are generally awful, and far too many ads in them.
I must look into getting The Oldie.

polomint Thu 17-Jun-21 07:49:49

I admit to reading the people's friend magazine in the past. I always bought the hello magazine in the airport before flying on holiday. I've also bought the yours magazine.
Now I don't buy any as another poster said, they are full of celebrities I've never heard of. At Xmas I treated myself to a subscription to the readers digest monthly magazine and find the articles are interesting. A few years ago, I had a subscription to national geographic

Blinko Thu 17-Jun-21 08:02:37

For £1 a week (£52 pa) I get Candis magazine, light reading, practical recipes and puzzles as well as giving to a good cause. I also get the U3a mag, and the NT one, both quarterly. I subscribe to the Grauniad online. Must admit, I don't seem to have time to read all these, let alone adding to the list.

J52 Thu 17-Jun-21 08:36:09

DillytheGardener

Country Life occasionally and the Financial Times on the weekend. My elder son and dil bought it when they lived here in pre pandemic times and I enjoyed the crosswords and recipes so kept buying it after they moved. The How To Spend it insert does make me laugh, how the other half live eh? Tbh I enjoy the catalogues from hush, Boden and next rather than the glossies. Those magazines clothing items do not cater for big chested mothers of two adult children grin.

My DH gets the FT and like you I browse the How to Spend it magazine. I can only think that some of the products are aimed at people who have so much money that they wouldn’t even notice the cost, or perhaps know that you can get something similar, but cheaper grin.
I do wonder where women wear the very fancy jewellery that’s often advertised in the first few pages.

J52 Thu 17-Jun-21 08:37:06

don’t know

TerriBull Thu 17-Jun-21 08:42:30

I don't buy magazines I regard them as a waste of money. I do read them if they are available at the dentist/doctor hairdressers, un surprisingly they weren't at the latter after lockdown,

Not always so for me, I was a magazine buyer in my youth when I appreciated a diet of all things fatuous, so Petticoat, Melody Maker, NME, Rave, Nova some others, Private Eye if I wanted a laugh. Cosmopolitan even at one time but eventually all that quasi overload of sex and psycho babble was too much even back then. When I flicked through Woman's Own a while back it seemed to have gone considerably down market, sensationalism replacing stalwart articles about sensible matters such as food and the home or whatever else they wrote about, I can't really remember, but it all seemed jolly sensible stuff once.

We get three magazines with the Sunday Times, The Culture one I hang on to for the week because it has tv programmes in plus I like the tv, film and book reviews. Sometimes the main supplement has interesting articles. The Style magazine deserves to be hurled across the room and stamped on for the ridiculously priced clothes, who they are aimed at heaven knows shock certainly not me!

I don't feel demeaned by so called "superwomen" I'm in awe of anyone who is exceptional but just tend to conclude after reading an article along those lines "well that's them and I'm me" and anyway there may be umpteen back stories that the subject isn't going to reveal so we only see what we read.

Similarly so called C'leb magazines and those who frequent them, thereby doing a pact with the devil in what they reveal! All a load of flim flam imo!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Jun-21 09:29:16

I usually read via the library app Good Housekeeping, Women & Home, several interior design mags and gardening ones.

I do sometimes buy these actual magazines as I like to flick through when I am having a coffee in the morning as opposed to doing everything through a screen.

henetha Thu 17-Jun-21 10:45:25

I loathe most modern magazines for women, but 'Yours' is much better than most of them.

inishowen Thu 17-Jun-21 11:05:39

Jane Judge,she wanted magazines with sex in them?

Namsnanny Thu 17-Jun-21 11:09:19

inishowen

Jane Judge,she wanted magazines with sex in them?

I was wondering about that too I inshowen
Where did you find them JaneJudge? Not that I'm interested you understand!!grin

Annanan Thu 17-Jun-21 11:15:23

I wants went to a woman and home focus group dinner. The editor was there, a very lovely lady, but the killer remark to me was that the photographs of the celebrities on the cover and inside had all without exception being touched up to make them look younger and thinner with longer legs et cetera. That absolutely killed magazine buying for me for this

albertina Thu 17-Jun-21 11:17:54

I don't buy them but my daughter occasionally treats me to Platinum or Good Housekeeping. Both have something for everyone. Magazines have changed so much over the years and become more trashy but I find Good Housekeeping still keeps to high standards.

I wrote an article many years ago and had it published in Woman magazine.They paid me £50 which was a fortune to me as a lone parent.I kept a copy and came across it in a recent house move. In 1986 Woman magazine wasn't full of celebrities or "I married my Grandfather" type of stories. It was a really interesting mature publication. Shame it couldn't have stayed that way.

harrysgran Thu 17-Jun-21 11:17:56

Both myself and my DDs were big magazine buyers all the weekly and popular monthly ones however we very rarely buy any now and prefer to read articles on the internet I occasionally buy the odd one but there is so little reading in them and the articles are as already said about super women and how we constantly need to improve ourselves

Granjeanne Thu 17-Jun-21 11:20:35

Don't read them. At my stage of life, (63 and almost retired), I don't do anything which doesn't bring me joy. And that includes some reading experiences. I used to feel compelled, probably because of my upbringing, never to "waste" anything. So I read books to the end, and magazines from cover to cover, even if I wasn't enjoying them. I agree with others, that special interest magazines are the most satisfying to read. Magazines for women, even older women, tend to focus on looks, "fashion", makeup etc. They are all designed to make us spend money on useless things, by trying to persuade us that we are somehow missing out on some "must have" material things. In my experience, joy is rarely derived from material things..... And don't forget that all magazines are subsidised by advertising. If you removed all the ads, both obvious and covert, there would be very little of substance in any magazine. Which is why I don't read them much. And I never buy them! I read them, if I have nothing better to do, in waiting rooms! And I never buy anything because of an advertisement. If I want or need something, I do my own research first.

cangran Thu 17-Jun-21 11:22:26

I've subscribed to Good Housekeeping for many years and have kept it, mainly out of habit I think, as many of you have described exactly what irritates me - celebrities, the overcoming hardships to start a wonderful business and a new wonderful husband type articles (me? jealous?) plus the expensive and often ugly clothes, unobtainable homes and gardens, etc. GH did a survey not long ago to ask what readers liked and didn't like (I like the film, tv and book reviews plus health articles and the easier veggie recipes) but haven't seen any changes to date. I am on the GH reader panel to test products. It's hit and miss but I have had generous amounts of some products like face creams to try, which is nice but also, when I find out the price after the test period, usually makes me realise my cheaper brands are just as good!

TBsNana Thu 17-Jun-21 11:23:27

I gave up on them a long time ago - and way back when I was in my thirties probably, I realised that once had read them for a year you were on a cycle - Christmas stuff - November issue, Easter cakes - March, holiday clothes in summer, etc etc boooooring!! I agree though that less general magazines that play to your interests can be very different