Gransnet forums

Chat

What to do with old OS maps

(23 Posts)
Forlornhope Sun 12-Jun-22 14:06:30

I’m having a turn out and I’m about to throw a number of old OS maps. It seems a shame but I’m not sure what else to do with them. Any ideas?

Fleur20 Sun 12-Jun-22 14:15:00

Possibly some art groups in your area or a nursery might like them for projects or collage type work??

CaravanSerai Sun 12-Jun-22 14:20:15

If they are not too out-of-date or worn, Oxfam bookshops will take them to sell on to walkers.

If not of interest to walkers, they are very much sought after my paper crafters especially people who enjoy junk journalling and collage.

Take a look at the maps and arts and crafts section of Oxfam online. Even torn and tatty maps will be sold as craft material.

CaravanSerai Sun 12-Jun-22 14:22:45

Fleur20 - crossed posts. I know someone who used to acquire old school desks, collage them with old OS maps, coat of clear varnish and sell them as shabby chic. Kind of thing that you'd see on Money for Nothing.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jun-22 14:31:43

I ve sold some on Amazon books some of the old ones have value

Shandy57 Sun 12-Jun-22 14:34:59

I paid £20 for an OS map of my area on ebay, worth a try!

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 12-Jun-22 14:39:27

Or use them yourself, as shelf liners, wrapping paper, gift labels ?....

oodles Sun 12-Jun-22 14:42:22

if in reasonable nick off to Oxfam, they have an online shop as well, people who are interested in history and genealogy like old maps,

Forlornhope Sun 12-Jun-22 15:39:11

Thanks everybody. I’ll try Oxfam. I’ve also a largish collection of guidebooks to all sorts of historic houses going back 40 years. Why does one feel one has to horde these things?!

M0nica Sun 12-Jun-22 15:42:15

Sell them on ebay. I am a landscape historian and I am always on the look out for old OS maps, For me, preferably pre-1960s.

I have just looked on ebay and they sell for about £2 a copy, but I have paid up to £6.00 for them at antique sales and in secondhand book shops.

Forlornhope Sun 12-Jun-22 15:55:28

You would be very welcome to the maps MOnica but I’ve nothing pre 1980.

M0nica Sun 12-Jun-22 16:09:38

Thank you, but my need is very much maps showing roads as they were before all the major and minor roads were rerouted and remade from the late 1960s onward.

I think the best thing to do is give them to a charity shop.

Forlornhope Sun 12-Jun-22 16:27:44

‘… maps showing roads as they were before all the major and minor roads were rerouted and remade from the late 1960s onward.’ Illustrating a very different world. I can remember some local roads where I was brought up receiving their first covering of tarmac in the late fifties.

mrsgreenfingers56 Sun 12-Jun-22 17:44:54

Family history groups welcome them to check on old buildings and areas for family history research.

Chestnut Sun 12-Jun-22 17:52:15

Agreed, they can be valuable to people looking at an area in the past. I would love to have early 1960s maps of my family area because they would have shown the railway lines which are all now gone. You could try the local Family History Society in the area, ask if they want them. Give dates of maps. Google '(county) Family History Society'.

HettyBetty Sun 12-Jun-22 19:17:50

I have seen the study of a keen walker. The walls are papered with a collage of old maps, then sealed and varnished. It looks stunning.

DDs Geography teacher had cut up OS maps and made bunting for the classroom.

Davida1968 Sun 12-Jun-22 19:19:59

Definitely donate to a charity shop. I think they sell quite well because some people like buying "retro" maps of the UK.

CaravanSerai Sun 12-Jun-22 19:51:32

Chestnut Have you tried the National Library of Scotland's mapping online? Not just Scotland. Maps from all eras and a side by side function so you can compare then and now. You can download as PDFs.

HettyBetty As a keen hiker, I have a huge collection of maps, have often said I'd like to paper a wall but never had the courage. I am glad to read that someone has.

MawtheMerrier Sun 12-Jun-22 20:04:35

I always fancied wallpapering the study or one wall of the smaller spare room (which the GSs usually have !)

Teacheranne Mon 13-Jun-22 00:29:17

I used old road maps to wrap up my Christmas presents this year. I think the adults spent more time looking at the maps than admiring their presents!

Katek Mon 13-Jun-22 10:16:15

Ds/dil have papered one wall of the kitchen with maps of Scottish mountain routes they have walked or climbed. Very different and provides a great talking point!

Chestnut Mon 13-Jun-22 11:53:05

CaravanSerai

Chestnut Have you tried the National Library of Scotland's mapping online? Not just Scotland. Maps from all eras and a side by side function so you can compare then and now. You can download as PDFs.

HettyBetty As a keen hiker, I have a huge collection of maps, have often said I'd like to paper a wall but never had the courage. I am glad to read that someone has.

Yes I have used their online mapping and found it excellent. It's not the same as having a coloured paper map though. I love that you can choose your period right back into the 1800s.
If anyone is interested then browse the maps as 'individual sheets' then zoom into your exact area.
maps.nls.uk/os/6inch-england-and-wales/index.html

JackyB Mon 13-Jun-22 15:08:14

I can't imagine a whole wall, but I think if you cut out a choice rectangle they would make a nice lining for a tray, or anything on a smaller scale like that.

But I would go with eBay for any undamaged ones first.