Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

know its petty but

(31 Posts)
fillygumbo Fri 15-Jul-11 11:21:40

it seems that no one says "thank you very much" anymore thgey say thank you so much emphasising sooo it grates on my nerves

GoldenGran Sun 18-Sep-11 15:45:59

Agree LOLA we have good and bad drivers in London from downright surly, to the lovely man on the NO. 11 who still says "Hold very tight please", and does a running commentary on places of interest. " Alight here for Peter Jones, the Saachi Gallery" etc. He's a one off!

nanachrissy Sun 18-Sep-11 18:09:09

Oddly, at my local Waitrose where the carpark is accessed by lift, most people say thank you when they get out with their trolley, including me. Are we wierd or what?

nanapug Mon 19-Sep-11 15:59:53

Hate it when shop assistants say "all right?" when I am waiting to be served. I am very tempted to say "No I'm not all right as I need you to serve me". Why can't they say "Can I help you?". And while I am ranting, it annoys me when the checkout people start asking how my day is, or what am I doing today. Again I want to say " It's none of your *** business, or even better start crying and tell them a sad story. They really don't want to know how I am so why can't they just be pleasant, and helpful?!!

Gilly70 Fri 25-Nov-11 18:23:56

When using local bus, or getting off coach, after day out, we always thank them. It is just good manners really and drivers I'm sure appreciate it, and we live in the south by the way!smile

Gally Fri 25-Nov-11 18:54:15

Everyone around here thanks the driver - it's just normal; my girls used the train/bus to school and spent their day giving thanks! They also held doors open for people - still do, but on occasion I would have to remind them that they weren't door-people and to let go as people just kept on coming - most without any acknowledgement. I had to reverse down the road yesterday to let my obnoxious neighbour pass (the one I don't speak to - see brotherinlaw thread!) and he glided past with his nose in the air so I'm afraid I did a very unladylike thing which involved waving a few fingers up in the air......blush It had no effect but it made me feel better.