Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Where has the word "sitting" gone

(107 Posts)
pammygran Sun 15-Jul-12 12:41:03

I had a text from a friend saying" I am SAT at the airport"..thought it should be "I am SITTING at an airport"?..also when someone says STOOD instead of STANDING...I read somewhere that this is a North/South thing? Any "Thunks"? !!

Yamyam Wed 13-Feb-13 00:33:49

Gracesmum- Love the Dorothy Parker quote!

Anagram Mon 20-Aug-12 15:56:56

Stigmatised? Bags? I don't think so...

Nonu Mon 20-Aug-12 15:26:04

BoomerBabe are you right thread ? pls don"t think I am poking my nose in smile

BoomerBabe Mon 20-Aug-12 15:03:55

OK, here's another one and my pet hate at the moment: going forward.
Whatever happened to: in the future?

deserving Mon 20-Aug-12 11:43:30

Thank you "bags' at last a breath of fresh air.You realise ,you must, it is apparent already, that you are stigmatised.
You have been advised that you "can take me on" That advice is indicative of the real substance , the real significance, of some previous posters. I have according to argot, been offensive, as you rightly surmise, that is a mistaken concept. I have not been "taking on" anyone, but it is demonstrably obvious that erroneously, reciprocation has been taking place. I also have been guilty of assuming English is the first language, and have, rather than posting on the subject, been explaining and/or defending.
As I am to be avoided, I may be able to post on the subject, which I have now forgotten completely, in the future.
Saw a television programme recently which depicted a death in a family, and their attempt to alleviate some of the sorrow was to joke about the deceased.We all have different ways of dealing with things.What struck me most was that near to me ,in the avenue,was a recently widowed neighbour.My thoughts were that this situation was in all probability being repeated many hundred times throughout the country.How would they feel if they saw the programme? I,m afraid the world doesn't stop, only one person knows when a sparrow falls. The rest of us just muddle through. We are privileged to be able to console a few particularly when getting paid to do so, but, as I know, the others have to take their chances.
As G.B.Shaw said,"IF a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth"
sunshine

Nonu Sun 19-Aug-12 15:20:05

LOL < You know I have always liked a little flutter , Vegas springs to mind

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 15:15:35

smile Bet away, buddy! Won't get you anywhere. Nor me either.

Nonu Sun 19-Aug-12 14:28:39

Bet you do grin

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 14:13:28

I expect you're right. Innuendo very often goes over my head. That is, I might notice it but haven't a clue what it's about.

whenim64 Sun 19-Aug-12 14:06:42

I think you might not have noticed deserving's behaviour in the telling of the anecdote bags. I choose to avoid this poster when a form of taunting takes place. A child's unintentional mistake is harmless. The telling of it less so. I don't intend to get into arguments with anyone. As deserving has said, 't's not Frankie Boyle.' I would be wise before the event, as I know what to expect from that source. Now I am alert to deserving's way of engaging some posters, I choose to stay well clear and avoid further disagreements.

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 13:57:50

I saw it as a spelling joke. It is in the Pedants' Corner. HQ have not deleted it.

I understand what you're saying, when, and appreciate that, but I think I understand where deserving was coming from too, and I think it was innocent. I do see that others have a different view, but I don't think it's necessary to 'avoid' someone on GN just because they've made one boo-boo. I expect you've all lost track of the number I've made.

whenim64 Sun 19-Aug-12 13:40:14

That should say 'inflict'. Damn you, iPad!

whenim64 Sun 19-Aug-12 13:34:25

Some people see it differently bags and having consoled many a young woman who has been the butt of 'rape' jokes after being attacked, I think too few people are aware of the hurt they infect by telling such anecdotes.

Nonu Sun 19-Aug-12 13:31:07

It reminds me a bit of the person who when you ask them the time tell you how the watch works , you can take on DES. now Bags , Enjoy !!!!!! I can"t come to yours this week as I am preparing for France , then when I am back will be preparing to go to States . Can I take a rain check till say middle October grin

Bags Sun 19-Aug-12 13:20:13

May I gently suggest that yous all read the meaning of what is being said, rather than just the words or how they are arranged? I know it can make a difference, but I contend that meaning is what's most important. I don't think deserving ever intended to be offensive to anyone. That she was, by mistake, has made her defend herself, and her meaning, as any of us would.

Chill, grans, chill!

Yous can all come over to mine any time for tea and buns and lively chat.

Nonu Sun 19-Aug-12 13:11:49

Can"t understand why you feel the need to dress all your posts in such flowery prose , you use ten words when six would do .

whenim64 Sun 19-Aug-12 13:08:53

Haven't a clue what you're on about now deserving! I think I'll just avoid you from now on - we speak different languages! Have fun!

deserving Sun 19-Aug-12 12:43:20

I reiterate, it was funny. Everyone who was present, some devout pillars of the community,laughed . The girl herself, eventually laughed. She got her badge.
It was hardly "Frankie Boyle" was it? It was not made up, it happened. I, and everyone to whom it has been related, found it amusing, or they didn't have the confidence to say otherwise, (which I doubt), but I appear, to some to have committed an offence against social mores, (how many is that now)? I think.I know, I see a pattern developing, I contend that the anecdote transcends what was accepted as etiquette in my youth, never mind grandmothers day.
We need to get beyond saying, "I'm a pensioner you know" and" when I was your age we.. "Don't misunderstand (why is it I feel you will) I wish we had some of those old fashioned ideas today, it would be a better place, but Im afraid we can;t go back

How do you feel about the expression," lets go to mine"?
smile

whenim64 Sat 18-Aug-12 17:50:57

I think I get the gist of what you are saying deserving. If so, you have my sympathies, but I still do not agree with using such an anecdote as a source of anyone's amusement. And, yes, I did understand the word was meant to be 'wrap.'

As for beng bellicose, having the confidence to object to something offensive does not make me so.

Bags Sat 18-Aug-12 17:43:23

Put it down to sensitivity on the part of those who objected, deserving. I think that's all it was.

I understood you and saw what was amusing. Don't worry any more.

deserving Sat 18-Aug-12 17:40:17

An adjunct, Didn't think it was necessary to explain, in minute detail,the gist of my anecdote.But here goes, thinking as I do of "The Good Life"and Penelope Keith's character, think of the word WRAP, and a small girls failed attempt at spelling it. After the dissection of each word of an amusing anecdote or joke, little remains. Methinks that thou protests too much, and as I agree with grandmother,I fail to see the dichotomy.
Where you get the idea that rape has been trivialised from I cannot imagine, you must intend to be bellicose and contentious .
When I was 64, many years ago, I had experience of the subject that cannot be named , by me anyway, and ....
Well best not to go into it hmm

Elegran Sat 18-Aug-12 14:06:20

And those who assume that because we "speak proper" we must be snobbish over-educated pedants from a long line of bloated plutocrats are just Luddites. I speak as I heard my parents and grandparents speak, and they were hard-up and working-class. My grandmother always said that soap and water were cheap enough for anyone to be clean, and decent speech and behaviour cost nothing.

trendygran Sat 18-Aug-12 12:22:06

Another rant coming up! I can't help shouting at the radio or TV when anyone says "I was sat" or "I was stood" I wonder who physically sat them ,or stood them, wherever. I don't think it has anything to do with the
North/ South divide-just a lack of correct English Grammar being taught in schools . We silver surfers were taught the basic rules of grammar-----maybe boring, but I'm so glad we were!

Nonu Sat 18-Aug-12 09:53:06

So you are at it again Deserving , sad

Elegran Sat 18-Aug-12 09:47:46

i wonder what it is, butter and ariadne that makes people read a post from someone who says they try not to post in anger, and immediately do their utmost to see how far they can go in winding them up? Something like reverting to childhood behaviour, do you think?