Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

'Cupcake' instead of fairy cake or bun

(102 Posts)
JoKyJo Fri 10-Aug-12 11:45:03

I find this one hard to understand - when I was little, they were always 'buns', 'butterfly buns' if the top was cut in two to make wings with a blob of buttercream underneath, or possibly 'fairy cakes' if they were fully iced.
Fairy cake is so much nicer than 'cupcake'! Why has everyone begun calling them cupcakes?

jeni Fri 10-Aug-12 18:15:05

I think there are two types. Yours might be singing ninnies mine are sometimes known as pike lets!

Annobel Fri 10-Aug-12 18:25:15

Do you mean 'hinnies', jenni. I've never heard of singing ninnies - have probably heard some though.

jeni Fri 10-Aug-12 18:48:34

They sing on the griddle or girdle as my Glaswegian friend called it!

JessM Fri 10-Aug-12 19:07:55

There is considerable variation along the muffin/crumpet terminology fault lines. I come from Wales and disagree totally with my DH who uses black country terms.
Welsh cakes are made with rock cake dough and cooked on a griddle. Eaten warm lovely but dull once they have cooled. I think maybe the same might apply to rock cakes.

JO4 Fri 10-Aug-12 20:39:05

They're the ones Anagram. They've definitely gone out of favour now. You can't beat a nice bit of artificial cream! smile

Bags Fri 10-Aug-12 20:44:25

Yes you can, jings! Good grief! Why would anyone eat artificial cream when real cream exists? confused

jeni Fri 10-Aug-12 20:51:35

confused

whitewave Fri 10-Aug-12 20:52:13

Going back to cup cakes for a bit. My Grandsons village had a fete and there was a stall with some delightfully decorated cupcakes on it and the children all flocked around but they were £2.50 each!! I thought that was terribly expensive, just for a gloryfied fairy cake.

trishs Sat 11-Aug-12 00:54:36

Whatever became of the divine rum baba. I'd gladly pay £2.50 for a chance of eating one of them again!

NfkDumpling Sat 11-Aug-12 07:59:31

Oh, just switched on before breakfast and am drooling at the thought of a proper (British) muffin for breakfast! I can't eat those horrible over sized, over flavoured and over here American muffins. Too much raising agent (bi-carb? Baking powder?) I tried one when they first appeared here. An enormous chocolate mound I seem to remember. I blew up into a very uncomfortable nauseous balloon and haven't wanted one since!

JO4 Sat 11-Aug-12 09:04:01

whitewave at a school fete I went to recently there were two cupcake stalls. One was by a couple selling their very upmarket ones for £2 each, the other was several schoolgirls selling their, much less butter-creamed but much nicer ones, at 50p a throw.

The girls were selling out. The couple seemed to have no takers! I wonder why?! grin

JO4 Sat 11-Aug-12 09:05:20

I've never liked muffins at all. Too solid somehow. Crumpets are my thing for Sunday tea. smile

shysal Sat 11-Aug-12 09:34:13

All you cupcake haters will feel sick at the thought of the giant cupcake birthday cake I have put on my profile then! It was a chocolate and vanilla marble cake, baked in one of the silicone baking 'tins' that are available everywhere these days - it was huge! I sliced it into 4 layers sandwiched with alternate chocolate and vanilla buttercream. Yucky but yummy! cupcake

Bags Sat 11-Aug-12 10:21:41

Ha! Ha! grin Sock it to us, shysal! Nothing shy about that cake!

Annobel Sat 11-Aug-12 10:26:54

Looks luscious, shysal. Almost too good to eat! Not! wink

Nelliemoser Sat 11-Aug-12 11:13:14

I think they are now known as cupcakes because people feel they have to reinvent the wheel and create new fads and marketing opportunities. The little cakes in paper cases our grans, and mums taught us to make were little different, apart from cup cakes now having piles more oversweet butter cream icing on top, thus adding to the obsesity problem (I do like a good whinge.)
We had fairy cakes, butterfly cakes, Rock cakes, individual chocolate cakes of all kinds. I particular remember some small shop bought cakes with a lovely pinapple flavoured topping I've not seen them for years! Does any one else remember them?
Perhaps we need to think of a new product to promote, out of what to us was a standard old recipe and make our fortunes.

Nelliemoser Sat 11-Aug-12 11:16:54

Re the references to Muffins/Crumpets do you mean what I grew up with in Leicester knowing them as "pikelets" (The thick doughy white things with holes in?)

JO4 Sat 11-Aug-12 11:18:15

Actually it has occured to me that the original cupcake recipe was a cupful of everything - fat, sugar, flour, plus eggs.

Nobody does that now. Think it was an American thing.

Someone on Radio 4 just mentioned fairy cakes and followed it up with "oh, we mustn't call it that now, must we?" grin hmm

It's total confusion all round.

JO4 Sat 11-Aug-12 11:19:17

Pikelets are the thin crumpets. They are delish too. smile

JO4 Sat 11-Aug-12 11:20:00

The thick ones are the crumpets NellieM.

Nelliemoser Sat 11-Aug-12 11:20:34

Absentgrana I must ask! How many armadillos have you eaten! and can you recommend a recipe! grin

nightowl Sat 11-Aug-12 11:29:07

Nelliemoser that's what we called pikelets in Yorkshire as well. I had never heard of a crumpet and I'm still not sure what one is. It's all very confusing.

nightowl Sat 11-Aug-12 11:30:20

According to wikipedia my pikelet is actually a crumpet.

nightowl Sat 11-Aug-12 11:34:11

I haven't seen any variation in thickness J04. Maybe they only sell one kind around here cos they think we couldn't cope with the confusion confused

kittylester Sat 11-Aug-12 11:38:15

In Derby covered market (when I were a lass) there were lots of little stands selling either pikelets(thin) or crumpets (thick). I thought I had it sussed until I met my husband, who is Leicester bred Nelliemoser, whose family call them all 'pifelets'. confused