Pedants' corner

SO

(70 Posts)
jeni Mon 20-Aug-12 12:59:27

And SO say all of us!

grannyactivist Mon 20-Aug-12 12:40:07

Thanks jingle. Loved it. grin

absentgrana Mon 20-Aug-12 12:38:45

JO4 We all did once in this country but I doubt even those of us who studied Old English could actually speak like that now.

Can SO add positivity in a phrase such as "It's SO not fair"?

JO4 Mon 20-Aug-12 12:30:39

I like 'so'. Adds positivity.

We could all speak like this

Anagram Mon 20-Aug-12 11:09:27

Yes, or 'Where do I start?' if you want to answer a question with a question.

Bags Mon 20-Aug-12 11:02:00

Another repost is "Plenty".

susiecb Mon 20-Aug-12 10:58:50

I am SO fed up OF people saying 'What's not to like?' I have no idea is my repost.

Bags Mon 20-Aug-12 10:16:37

Go it, vamp! Love your attitude grin

AlisonMA Mon 20-Aug-12 10:01:25

We were all young once and had our own special phrases too. I am a 'babyboomer' and I think we invented 'teenagers' which must have been a greater shock for our granparents. Prior to that when you left school you dressed like, and turned into, you parents! grin

vampirequeen Mon 20-Aug-12 09:30:54

I was well excited when I saw this fred cos I fort it was bout the ways I talk. But you so disappointed me cos it's all complaining. Tbh tho I ain't that bovvered.

Btw personally, in my opinion, at the end of the day, it sorta makes sense cos it makes the sentence mean more.

Just adding a few of my groan making words and phrases smile

Bags Mon 20-Aug-12 08:34:04

Thankfully, I don't know people like that, and if anyone was so stupid as to try it on me, it would only reflect badly on them. What sad toerags!

janeainsworth Mon 20-Aug-12 08:22:08

I am always careful not to use their turns of phrase on Facebook, however. I have seen friends of friends publicly humiliated for trying to be to be too 'with it'.
I am sure my vocabulary irritated my parents in the sixties [ smile]. It is just one of the ways the generations differentiate themselves.

Bags Mon 20-Aug-12 08:18:23

Oops. nfk

Bags Mon 20-Aug-12 08:17:55

Chuckle. I'll bear that in mind. Thanks, nkf

NfkDumpling Mon 20-Aug-12 08:11:20

I find it rather good for upsetting the young. A gran using 'so' and 'whatever' with a roll of the eyes really annoys them. smile

Greatnan Mon 20-Aug-12 06:50:37

Well, it clearly is not enough to be in my list of things that make me angry!
I find the rising inflection that the young people picked up from 'Neighbours' mildly annoying in the same way, but that does have the added problem of failing to make it clear if a question is being asked.

Bags Mon 20-Aug-12 06:30:47

I just think it's one of those rather annoying, rather sweet speech twitches that The Young Things have started and which they may or may not grow out of. I suppose it originated in America, which is neither for nor against it.

What fascinates me is why such verbal twitches bother us so much.

It's only a bit of gushing, after all.

Greatnan Mon 20-Aug-12 06:30:27

'Friends' was responsible for a good many examples of irritating American 'youfspeak' - I think I first heard 'Whatever' on the show. How about 'You are lovely - not'.

Annobel Sun 19-Aug-12 23:49:15

I seem to remember that I first heard this usage in 'Friends' which may well have popularised it. I don't like it either.

mrsmopp Sun 19-Aug-12 23:40:31

Where did SO come from - as in "I am SO not going there" -
"I am SO not into you" etc anyone else noticed this?