Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Cola advert

(48 Posts)
MamaCaz Sat 28-Dec-13 11:50:02

Did I spot an incorrect capital 'M' in the middle of a Coca Cola advert on TV last night? I'm fairly sure that there was a caption that said something along the lines of "for Mums all over the world"! shock

Soutra Sat 28-Dec-13 12:08:55

Mamacaz I am shocked, incandescent, but not surprised. tchgrin However.....(whispers) maybe you need to get out more! tchwink

MamaCaz Sat 28-Dec-13 13:00:10

Soutra, you could be right there!

The trouble is that when I go out I spot glaring errors all around me on shop signs, menus, posters, lorries etc. blush

Soutra Sat 28-Dec-13 13:09:40

It's so hard isn't it? tchgrin
(You meant shop sign's, menues, poster's and lorry's of course didn't you?)

Have you seen the (old) one about how to comfort an English teacher?
"Their, they're, there"

Agus Sat 28-Dec-13 13:10:20

I spot many errors, especially my own when posting in a hurry! Well, that's my excuse and I can live with it smile

KatyK Sat 28-Dec-13 13:21:54

Our local florist sells flowers for funeral's, wedding's, birthday's. I've posted this before I think on the it gets up my goat thread. Drives me mad!

Agus Sat 28-Dec-13 13:25:58

Haven't seen that one Soutra grin. Ooooh, I am so tempted!

MamaCaz Sat 28-Dec-13 13:39:44

Soutra: I have never seen that before grin

Agus: That's my excuse too!

Actually, I will admit to rewording many a post on this particular part of the forum in order to avoid a bit of grammar that I am unsure about, though I am sure that I inadvertently make many more errors through ignorance, as a victim of the 1970s secondary education (or should that be 1970s', with an apostrophe in that particular sentence ???)

For some reason, my own shortcomings don't make me any more tolerant of the mistakes of others, at least not when those errors are made by people whose job it is to speak or write!

Yes, I really do need to get a life! blush grin

jinglbellrocks Sat 28-Dec-13 13:53:23

But.... the word "Mum" is used as a name, isn't it? And they would want the advert to seem personal to each and every "Mum".

Am I overthinking again? tchhmm

rockgran Sat 28-Dec-13 13:57:49

I love the coca-cola adverts ....except for the fact that I hate coca-cola.tchconfused

Agus Sat 28-Dec-13 14:02:35

jingle I can make myself dizzy with the overthinking thing. I am practising so hard to stop this madness. grin

Agus Sat 28-Dec-13 14:06:35

I know what you mean mama. I find myself so indignant re someone else's shocking mistakes. Completely oblivious to the screw ups I myself make......until I make one!

Galen Sat 28-Dec-13 14:17:53

Haven't seen them!

Nonu Sat 28-Dec-13 14:31:27

perhaps it is aimed at Mums like me !

I do not see anything wrong at all !

tchsmile

MamaCaz Sat 28-Dec-13 15:31:39

Nonu: I am a mum (small 'M'). The capital should only be used when the word is being used as a proper noun (a name). In other words, a capital is correct in a sentence like "I will ask Mum", but not in "I will ask my mum".

jinglbellrocks: I could see your earlier point and had given that possibility some thought before starting this thread. However, I personally don't think that is what the advert's producers were thinking, as it seems just a bit too contrived. My feeling is that they simply don't know the rule!
I could be wrong, of course. It has been known, though don't let DH hear me admit that! grin

MamaCaz Sat 28-Dec-13 15:35:29

Nonu: I have just re-read that post and it sounds like I am trying to lecture you. I promise I didn't mean it to sound like that. Sorry blush

merlotgran Sat 28-Dec-13 15:36:38

What if you come from Yorkshire, MamaCaz? You could say, 'I'll ask our Mum' as in, 'I'll ask our Roger' tchgrin

MamaCaz Sat 28-Dec-13 16:05:32

I do come from Yorkshire (but have never said that in my life)!!! grin

No, I don't deny that the capital is possible in sentences like that, but I would only expect to see/hear them used in very casual, colloquial English.

nuttynana Sat 28-Dec-13 20:09:49

It's terrible but these mistakes just seem so glaringly obvious that you CANNOT ignore them !

I work part time in a school. Our new Head is 33 and took over after the "retirement" of our previous Headteacher who was 61. She will lead us forward in an exciting and dynamic way! Most of the "old" staff have left and been replaced with others under the age 33 plus a couple in their 40's .
However the teaching assistants and office staff etc remain the same . Each day communications from the Head are written on a large whiteboard in the staff room. All the teachers get to see them before the rest of us who arrive later. Let me give you an example of our last day before the Christmas break. We non teaching staff were stood in front of the board alongside the most senior teacher still there.
We all simultaneously noticed the following :
a) You should all have recieved a questionair etc etc
b) Perspective parents and child visiting school at 10 a.m
The teacher alongside us was defensive saying she hadn't noticed it and neither had any of the other staff. (That's o.k then) Not everyone can be good at spelling but a Headmistress and teaching staff with such basic words? If you know that your spelling is bad wouldn't you check it in such cases ? Sadly these are not isolated cases , it happens all the time in class and my tongue gets very sore!

Nonu Sun 29-Dec-13 12:24:09

HEY , MAMA , No Prob.
tchsmile

Granny23 Sun 29-Dec-13 12:44:27

Nutty I would blame the white board. I cannot spell nor do simple arithmetic on a blackboard or whiteboard. I am not sure if it is a throwback to being forced to write on the blackboard, in front of the whole class at Primary School or because nothing looks right when 'writ large'. I remember being unable to form a lower case letter 'r' while making a presentation and had to resort to writing the whole word in capitals - for emphasis, you understand grin

Anne58 Sun 29-Dec-13 13:50:47

The one that gets me EVERY time is "of" when it should be "have"

annodomini Sun 29-Dec-13 14:38:06

I do despair about the use of the superfluous 'of' as in
'I got OFF OF the bus' rather than 'I got off the bus'.
'Inside OF' rather than simply 'inside'
Similarly with 'outside OF'.

Dragonfly1 Sun 29-Dec-13 21:18:10

My pet hate is 'your' instead of 'you're' as a contraction of 'you are'. And yes, the 'of' instead of 'have'. I could scream.

Aka Sun 29-Dec-13 22:22:05

Nothing looks right 'writ large' ...that reminds me of the ROMANUS EUNT DOMUS scene from life of Brian.