Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Dan Snow

(41 Posts)
GrandmaSandra Sun 08-Jun-14 17:12:28

I'm watching a programme on TV about D Day, narrated by Dan Snow, and he's turning me into even more of a grumpy old woman than I already was. I think if he says "sikth" instead of "sixth" once more I may just scream! Why do people in the media have such difficulty pronouncing this word?

Sorry, rant over now.

Ana Sun 08-Jun-14 17:17:05

I agree, GrandmaSandra - they say 'fith' instead of 'fifth' too - drives me mad! angry

papaoscar Sun 08-Jun-14 17:35:45

I just find Dan Snow irritating like his pa. More ego than ability but safe in their comfortable BBC jobs.

Eloethan Sun 08-Jun-14 18:17:15

I thought about this and realised I say "sikth" too - oh dear.

Lilygran Sun 08-Jun-14 18:18:42

I can't watch Dan Snow though I quite like his Daddy. Promoted above his level of competence?

numberplease Sun 08-Jun-14 23:25:46

Oh dear, I quite like Dan Snow, he`s rather dishy, as his dad was...........once!

annodomini Sun 08-Jun-14 23:30:28

I like his enthusiasm. Never could stand his dad's 'swingometer'.

PRINTMISS Mon 09-Jun-14 08:54:35

I find he grates on me, think this is because I feel he got where he is because of his dad, although he is quite knowledgeable with his history of the wars. He has a nice clear speaking voice, and I must admit I had not noticed the 'sixth'. At least he can say better with two 'ts', and fifth with the 'th' at the end.

Ana Mon 09-Jun-14 10:06:44

Does he pronounce the second 'f' in fifth, though?

HollyDaze Mon 09-Jun-14 11:08:41

I've no idea who Dan Snow is (son of John I presume) but whilst we are talking about this subject, can I ask a quick question?

Good smile I have noticed, on the BBC, that news presenters are sometimes saying 'prohven' instead of 'prooven'. I have always said 'prooven' so which is it - have I been wrong all these years confused

Ana Mon 09-Jun-14 11:18:05

It can be either, I think.

rosesarered Mon 09-Jun-14 11:31:05

He may have a speech impediment?It should not be said as prohven.

Ana Mon 09-Jun-14 11:34:58

I beg to differ, rosesarered. Google it.

HollyDaze Mon 09-Jun-14 11:45:39

Well well well, I have just googled and I'm surprised at the number of people questioning that pronunciation.

But here - you can actually hear it spoken in British English and American English!

www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/proven

That's that one cleared up - email going to the BBC now wink

Ana Mon 09-Jun-14 11:50:23

Yet this site thinks 'prohven' is the British way to pronounce it!

www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=proven

suebailey1 Mon 09-Jun-14 11:55:52

The sport journalist on BBC Breakfast today reported than someone ran quicker than the others - shouldn't it be faster than?

HollyDaze Mon 09-Jun-14 12:39:40

Ana - I is sticking with the Oxford dictionary so as I can continue to talk proper grin

Ana Mon 09-Jun-14 12:58:48

grin What about 'schedule' - regularly pronounced the American way by all and sundry? And there are many more examples...

HollyDaze Mon 09-Jun-14 13:01:22

I have been reading an article in The Telegraph about pronunciation and I was surprised to see that a fair few of my pronuciations are, in fact, US versions! A traitor to my Mother tongue blush

numberplease Mon 09-Jun-14 17:02:50

HollyDaze, he`s the son of Peter Snow, nephew of Jon.

granjura Mon 09-Jun-14 18:44:49

He is hugely intelligent and his programmes very interesting. And as I can't pronounce 'sixth' either, he is more than forgiven. I expect braodcaster to be informative and thought provoking- and he is that, that is for sure. I don't give a monkey's about his pronunciation of the odd word, really.

Soutra Mon 09-Jun-14 18:53:17

The Scottish court verdict "Not proven" (i.e. Not guilty but don't do it again) is pronounced "prohven" and not "prooven" by analogy with " prove". It so annoys me on eg. Comercials. I too like Dan Snow but got annoyed with the pronunciation of French names. Caen is in Normandy but to listen to the Beeb you'd have thought we were in the south of France at * Cannes*. The French military Commander Philippe Kieffer's name does not rhyme with "reefer" either. hmm

Ana Mon 09-Jun-14 18:56:40

Thank you, Soutra, I thought the Scots pronunciation was 'prohven'. still think 'prooven' s an Americanism...

Soutra Mon 09-Jun-14 23:16:09

Further to Dan Snow, I don;t think one can say that he owes his success to his father Peter as he is quite an eminent historian in his own right with a History degree from Balliol and is also the nephew of a well known Canadian historian Margaret MacMillan.
(He is also the great great grandson of Lloyd George!) @uselessfactsRus

PRINTMISS Tue 10-Jun-14 08:14:55

I too think that Dan Snow is very good at what his does and no doubt very intelligent, I just think he got where he is in the media because of his connections, but then of course that is true of life, and so we should not begrudge him his success. He still grates on me!