Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

grammar question

(292 Posts)
TriciaF Fri 17-Jul-15 11:55:38

about the verb to swim.
Is it correct to say "we've swum in that lake".
Or is it "we've swam " " " ."
I wrote "swum" first, it looked strange, so I changed it to "we've been swimming etc."

Anya Fri 17-Jul-15 12:01:09

We have swum

annodomini Fri 17-Jul-15 12:11:54

We swam; we've swum.

'Swam' is past tense; 'swum' is past participle used after 'have' or 'had'

Same pattern with 'sing', 'sang', 'sung'.

Greyduster Fri 17-Jul-15 13:10:19

As above. I have a similar bugbear regarding sat and sitting. I hate to hear people say "they were sat" rather than "they were sitting". "They sat" "they were sitting".

TriciaF Fri 17-Jul-15 16:39:41

Thanks, so "swum" is ok, I learn something new every day!

durhamjen Fri 17-Jul-15 16:41:35

However, you are right about it looking strange, Tricia.

westieyaya Sat 18-Jul-15 09:17:02

I have the same problem with dived and dove

Alea Sat 18-Jul-15 09:22:55

The past tense of "dive", dove is American, in English it is dived e.g. "he dived for cover".

Stansgran Sat 18-Jul-15 09:31:23

My bugbear is " they were sat sitting" I'm having trouble with ance and ence endings these days.

Marmight Sat 18-Jul-15 10:03:54

of in lieu of have is my biggest bugbear. 'We should of gone shopping'. It drives me mad angryangry. They were sat is next on my list......

whitewave Sat 18-Jul-15 10:06:17

I am having trouble remembering words - sod the grammer that would simply be a plusgrin

mummsymags Sat 18-Jul-15 10:45:27

My only bugbear is with people saying 'haitch' the name of the letter H is 'aitch'.....even though the sound it makes is 'huh'!
I understand there is a legitimate use of the 'huh' sound before some vowels in the West Indian culture and that is perfectly acceptable - just as Irish people often pronounce 'th' as 't'. But, when people who are not from these cultures say them, it is actually an error.

mummsymags Sat 18-Jul-15 10:52:05

.....also, can anyone give me a simple rule for the use of 'that' and 'which' please? I did go to grammar school (and I wasn't away that day!) but I seem to have a mental block about how the rule works.

mummsymags Sat 18-Jul-15 10:57:40

Me too! I was horrified to read a message from one of my own children using it and when I pointed out his error he told me he knew how to spell it but when texting he uses 'of'....aaaargh!!

Beattie Sat 18-Jul-15 11:21:12

I just loathe 'I'm bored of' something instead of 'with' They even say it on the beeb now - is it just me?'

katynana Sat 18-Jul-15 12:36:59

The whole subject of English grammar frustrates me these days. I can't read anything printed nowadays without having a little shout over one or another point of incorrect grammar. Aaaargh!

Elrel Sat 18-Jul-15 12:53:22

No Beattie - 'bored of' really grates, and it gets everywhere. I wonder where and when it first crept in, I remember teenagers starting to say it within the last 10 years. I have almost become resigned to 'different to' as it's so prevalent but 'bored of' is still an irritant.

Elrel Sat 18-Jul-15 12:55:45

Maybe when texting you can convert your son to 'could've'. Actually I guess not as it needs a change of screen ...

Anya Sat 18-Jul-15 13:52:57

mummsymags you and me both!

Even some TV presenters say 'haitch' drives me bonkers

janerowena Sat 18-Jul-15 13:58:21

Saying 'haitch' is a regional dialect thing though, so where do you draw the line? Who's to say which dialect is the correct version? I do try to look things up before I criticise, after something sounds odd to my ears.

'Should of' drives me mad, too.

durhamjen Sat 18-Jul-15 14:19:51

In Hull they say that 'ull begins with haitch.

Elrel Sat 18-Jul-15 17:30:49

Just heard another, frequent minor irritation on R4. Someone being interviewed for his opinion re calories on menus said 'restauraNteur'.

Jane10 Sat 18-Jul-15 19:11:06

Hoi pedants- word pronunciation is not a grammar issue! Sorry -being pedantic!

Ana Sat 18-Jul-15 19:13:41

I was thinking that myself, Jane. Just stopped myself from complaining about the way 'fifth' is so often pronounced 'fith' these days for that very reason! grin

AshTree Sat 18-Jul-15 19:36:34

One of my big bugbears is hearing nauseous pronounced 'naushus', which I imagine is an American import angry