Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Invites!!!!!

(80 Posts)
phoenix Sat 22-Oct-16 21:35:14

Please, please, please do NOT send me an "invite"

I am happy to receive an invitation to an event, which I may or may not attend, and I am also ok with being invited to something, again attendance is not guaranteed, but being a fairly polite person, if the INVITATION states RSVP, then of course I will.

But if someone says "I will send you an invite" aaaarrrggghhh!

Sorry, may be just me, if so, then as you were.blush

thatbags Sun 23-Oct-16 11:21:08

Shrug.

I used to think I was pedantic about diction. That was until I came on Gransnet.

Language is about communicating in ways others understand. It's obvious what "an invite" is.

Shrug again.

Maggiemaybe Sun 23-Oct-16 11:33:14

No, it's never bothered me either. I've just looked it up though, and apparently invite has been used as a noun in England since the seventeenth century. Presumably it fell out of use and is now back in. I'd say it was just a more informal version of invitation.

Invitations or invites, I'm just happy to get them!

soldiersailor Sun 23-Oct-16 11:48:52

Hating 'invite' as a noun, I also intensely like the overuse, and often incorrectly, of the word 'transportation' in place of transport. Now if only our US friends would cut the 'ation' on one and add it to the other I'd be SO much happier!

Rinouchka Sun 23-Oct-16 11:58:24

Has never bothered me, either. But can understand why the (mis) use of language grates. I ration what annoys me, so as not to be up in arms much of the time!

Legs55 Sun 23-Oct-16 12:00:38

I too hate "babes" I'm not your "babes", I do get cross about the way some words have become part of our language, my pet hate is "do the math" - no it's MATHS - I was taught Maths at school not Math.angry

I must admit invite doesn't bother me - I don't get many sad

Things that may bother others are the way you're addressed - I tend to call people "love" (Yorkshire Lass), down here in Devon it's "maid" which is ok, "my lover" I hate, I'm not!!! but "my lovely" Somerset & Devon is fine by me confused

Smithy Sun 23-Oct-16 12:05:38

I always thought of invite being lazy speech, as Uni, sarnie etc as someone mentioned. Overall though I wouldn't let anything like that bother me EXCEPT the use of lend instead of borrow - as eg ''Can I lend your pen'' - grrr.

NannyKasey Sun 23-Oct-16 12:17:04

'Invite' doesn't worry me - the words that really get my goat are 'authored', 'medalled', the use of 'myself' instead of 'me' or 'I'. also hate 'shout out'.

I know I'm turning into a grumpy old bag grin but frankly I'm beyond caring now

Lewlew Sun 23-Oct-16 12:25:17

aduanas Don't forget piccies! I think that's probably replaced photies now LOL!

gran5up I didn't have a clue what a sarni or buttie was till I moved here. How you get sarni or buttie/butty out of a sandwich escapes me. confused

Lewlew Sun 23-Oct-16 12:30:40

NannyKasey I will add another weird one, disrespect as a verb. It's not the same as saying the opposite of I respect you.

And the wrong spelling of definite... it is NOT definate, but I see it's almost common now. confused

Oh dear, best stop. The OP probably did not intend for all this venting, but it feels good! grin

miep Sun 23-Oct-16 12:42:10

I loathe 'invite' too; unfortunately my brainfog is fast descending this afternoon, otherwise I am sure I could think of many other words that irritate or even flat out annoy me!

Tudorrose Sun 23-Oct-16 12:48:14

I hate the use of "Brits" instead of British. My biggest gripe however is people qualifying unique, Something is unique or it isn't , hearing "quite unique or very unique" drives me mad!

Zorro21 Sun 23-Oct-16 12:48:42

I am not bothered whether I have an invitation or an invite - what I dislike is the word "wiv" instead of with, and when men insist on telling everyone about their "prostrate" trouble...

NotSpaghetti Sun 23-Oct-16 12:59:38

"Bear me a minute" anyone?

sluttygran Sun 23-Oct-16 13:14:45

What about that rather superior young woman on the TV advertisement for some computer or other who says that she has 'summitted' Everest?
Surely one reaches the summit, or attains the summit. I know that I'm an old pedant, but this one really grates on me!
Maybe I'm just jealous, because I find it difficult even to 'summit' the stairs to my flat!

Diddy1 Sun 23-Oct-16 13:51:55

Well ladies, I think "sarnie" originates from my home Town Liverpool, its been used there for years, the same for "lippy".Had to laugh when my Husband, from Sweden, asked for "sarnies" at a place, he thought this was the correct word, the gentleman serving politely said " do you mean sandwiches Sir"
I like an invitation!

Conni7 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:24:07

I think we've all been here before. Isn't there a pedants' corner somewhere? Add me to it. I know I've mentioned "should of", "could of" as particular irritants. Another is "different to" instead of "different from". Surely if a thing is different it is moving away from something, whereas "similar to" is moving towards. How about "like" which seems to mean anything now? I count the "y'knows" when sports people particularly are being interviewed - 15 once! I still didn't know.

BlueBelle Sun 23-Oct-16 14:33:48

I ll tell you what I hate 'fur babies' dogs and cats they might be furry but they re not bloody babies

Babes is bad but 'Hun' is worse I m always being called Hun by strangers ugggg I m not your Hun , Mrs

hildajenniJ Sun 23-Oct-16 14:41:44

I've just read a rather tongue in cheek menu, one item was "a selection of sammiges". It was intended to be humourous. It's better than the dreadful Australian sanger.

shysal Sun 23-Oct-16 14:49:06

I don't like being sent a quote either. Shouldn't it be a quotation or am I wrong?

hildajenniJ Sun 23-Oct-16 14:52:37

Here's the menu if any of you are thinking of hosting a function or funeral tea.

MadMaisie Sun 23-Oct-16 15:21:11

Sat instead of sitting is one of my particular hates, but there are many more I dis
Ike.

br0adwater Sun 23-Oct-16 15:27:11

This is the trouble with a living language; it evolves. My aged MiL used to say should where I say would, and ought where I say should. Then there was may, might and could. My bug bear is swapping Me and I - me and my friend are going out: save some space for her and I.

grannybuy Sun 23-Oct-16 15:46:01

Adaunus, in my part of the world there's shoppie, postie, mannie, wifie, bussie and many more.

suelowe Sun 23-Oct-16 16:48:14

Bad grammar , inaccuracy and tautology are my bugbears . But abbreviations are okay ( OK even ) .... bet you use bus , pram , and many others daily ( NOT " on a daily basis" , note )

Gaggi3 Sun 23-Oct-16 18:12:56

Many uses of language can irritate, but our American cousins are entitled, I think, to their own pronunciation and vocabulary, just as different parts of the UK and most countries have vocabulary differences.
On the question of getting an "invite", I'm more worried about not being asked.