Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Who done it?

(56 Posts)
Juney64 Tue 24-Jan-17 15:52:41

The following conversation took place when I was around six years old...

My 8 year old brother to my father: I done it, dad!

Father: you mean you did it! (slight volume raise)
Brother: yes, I've did it
Father: no, you've done it!! (volume up a notch)
Brother: yes, I done it
Father: (full volume)... you mean YOU DO'D it!!! angry

blush from both my parents. I won't repeat what my father said next. shock

Do you have any 'grammar lesson' memories?

pollyperkins Mon 06-Feb-17 16:29:30

For oractice and practise I always compare to advice /advise which is easier as it is pronounced differently.
So advise somone and I practise the piano. I ask for advice and I do my Practice! To license and a licence follow the same rule.

pollyperkins Mon 06-Feb-17 16:30:25

The one I never understand is when to use due to and owing to? Perhaps someone can help.

pollyperkins Mon 06-Feb-17 16:31:46

Christine yes I agree with you! Crossed post!

Jalima Mon 06-Feb-17 16:33:06

I think I said on another thread that my mother used to say to us:
You munna say wunna, it inna polite

wunna being Midlands dialect for wouldn't or would not
You can work the rest out! grin

and she used to get very annoyed if anyone said 'I borrowed him my pen' or 'I lent his pen from him'
(not that we said that as it was instilled in us from an early age)

Direne3 Mon 06-Feb-17 16:36:19

Me too, Emelle19. I rang H&M the other day and was most amused at their recorded greeting message. I often smile at the memory of my then 9 year old DD who (prior to an optician's appointment) I (gently)coached how to pronounce 'aitch'. Upon reaching the character she paused took a deep breath and said haitch and promptly blushed - I should add that people now often compliment her on how nicely spoken she is. Gosh I'm now worrying about any faux pas I might have made in this posting. grin

kathyd Mon 06-Feb-17 17:32:40

'i before e except after c' and when the sound is 'ee', doesn't always apply. Weird for example.

Jaycee5 Mon 06-Feb-17 18:12:09

I was taught

I before e except before c
or when pronounced a as in neighbour or weigh

I think there is a bit more to the verse too.

My father used to say 'there's no aitch on h'.
It is the only letter with a spelling so there is no excuse really for getting it wrong.

Grandmama Mon 06-Feb-17 19:00:35

Not exactly a spelling help - but stalactites have a C so they grow down from the Ceiling. Stalagtites have a G so they grow up from the Ground.

Jalima Mon 06-Feb-17 19:12:16

smile
I was taught that stalactites hold on tight
and stalagmites grow up with all their might

but I still have to think!

hallgreenmiss Mon 06-Feb-17 19:50:11

Yorkshiregel, that's exactly what EmilyHarburn was demonstrating;lay is a transitive verb and requires an object.

Alidoll Mon 06-Feb-17 20:16:27

Tights come down and mites climb up! (another way to remember which made me laugh as a child)

Alidoll Mon 06-Feb-17 20:18:30

Then there's

Please send Charlie Mackay a zebra if the lean horse can't munch short grass ...any ideas for that one?

I'll give you a clue...

Reactive stuff!

Linsco56 Mon 06-Feb-17 21:08:06

Oh yes! Potassium, sodium, lithium, calcium, magnesium etc. I remember that well.

Deedaa Mon 06-Feb-17 21:58:21

DD rang me today to ask if she shoud write "while" or "whilst" in a sentence. My Grammar for Grownups book wasn't any help but we decided that as she was writing a grant proposal for the EU "whilst" would look more impressive grin

Auntieflo Mon 06-Feb-17 22:22:41

How about,
Stalactites grow from the ceiling and
stalagmites grow from the ground

Auntieflo Mon 06-Feb-17 22:24:22

Oops.
Stalactites Grow down from the ceiling
Stalagmites Grow up from the ground

Nelliemoser Mon 06-Feb-17 22:47:19

Stalactites have to hold tight to the roof of a cave, and stalagmites might grow up from the floor to join them up.
So said my lovely geography teacher C1962. It's an aid memoir.
for which is which.

Jalima Mon 06-Feb-17 23:33:25

Alidoll tights weren't invented when I was a child grin
socks in primry then lisle stockings and suspenders for high school.

Jalima Mon 06-Feb-17 23:33:36

primary

MaizieD Mon 06-Feb-17 23:40:37

pollyperkins

The one I never understand is when to use due to and owing to?

This is one of my pet hates! Modern dictionaries will tell you that both are an acceptable substitute for 'because' as they have become so by usage. I think when they're used that way it sounds like the writing of a primary school child who's been told off by their teacher for using 'because' too often!

Here's a page of google results which tell you what 'due to' really means:

www.google.co.uk/search?q=due+%2B+meaning&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=aweZWPnBBsnU8gfjiKugAQ

'Owing' is a bit more straightforward because it's really just about paying back something you've borrowed from someone (or something), or, paying for something.

Jalima Mon 06-Feb-17 23:53:48

you mean when someone borrowed you some money?

Christinefrance Tue 07-Feb-17 08:31:37

Yes Jalima and you have to learn them not to do it again smile

Yorkshiregel Tue 07-Feb-17 08:37:19

Grandmama that is a good way to remember the difference between stalagtites/mites.

I remember practice and practise by saying 'c' for a company or doctor, 's' for a sport.

Love Frank Gardner Emelle19! Have you seen the 2-part documentary of him and a friend in Papau New Guinea? Worth a watch.

Yorkshiregel Tue 07-Feb-17 08:38:26

Going 'off of' the subject at the end of that post. :-)

Yorkshiregel Tue 07-Feb-17 08:52:49

Witzend I remember the 'turn it around' rule from my English teacher at school. It is obvious then isn't it.

English is easy for us people who are born here. Not so easy for a person from another country to learn.