Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Christmas 'lunch'

(89 Posts)
Witzend Thu 14-Dec-17 12:52:23

Yes, I know this is uber-pedant, real grumpy old bag territory, but it really grates on me to hear or read the traditional Christmas meal referred to as 'lunch'.
To me, the main meal of the day is dinner, no matter when you have it, and if the tradional turkey blow-out isn't a main meal, I don't know what is.

On a lighter note, I have finally made my Christmas puds and they are boiling away merrily with Classic FM carols in the background. ?

Nanny27 Thu 30-Aug-18 14:39:56

vampirequeen agree entirely except for cream tea. A cream tea is a pot of tea with scones,cream and jam. What you describe sounds more like afternoon tea

humptydumpty Thu 30-Aug-18 15:30:19

How has this come up again now?!!! last post was in 2017...

PECS Thu 30-Aug-18 15:37:05

I am not sure you can actually be pedantic about this! It is a variable without a fixed rule so no right or wrong!

If you eat the meal after 3:00p.m I would call it dinner..as it would be getting dark grin
If it is eaten between noon and 3;00 I would say lunch!

But the terms dinner /lunch are so interchangeable and regional that it is not a pedant issue just a preference!

eazybee Thu 30-Aug-18 17:33:39

Blame the teachers.
The problem is that schools have dinnertime, dinner duty, dinner money, dinner ladies; usually 12.00 pm onwards. Sometimes they have lunch breaks at about 10.30 to 11 am.
My mother-in-law(ex) used to wince when I referred to dinner in the middle of the day. We also had tea at teatime, (5.30).
How she suffered.

sodapop Thu 30-Aug-18 19:15:18

Bit like the off side rule then Vampirequeen
I agree with lemongrove and Maw Christmas dinner and wedding breakfasts are exceptions.

lemongrove Thu 30-Aug-18 20:38:33

I may faint...…...somebody agrees with me.tchgrin

MawBroon Thu 30-Aug-18 21:00:09

Yawn shock

Do we have to go through all this yet again until December 25?

absent Thu 30-Aug-18 21:39:35

I have always preferred to eat Christmas dinner in the evening although I have quite often served it earlier in deference to family wishes. There was one year when a friend was staying and some other friends came round for drinks and nibbles in the morning. The drinks and nibbles continued well into the afternoon and the result was that no one felt like Christmas dinner in the evening. So we had roast goose followed by Christmas pudding on Boxing Day.

phoenix Thu 30-Aug-18 22:20:33

I think I'm getting a sense of deja vu, but of course I may be just imagining it!

Cabbie21 Thu 30-Aug-18 23:15:43

We were once invited to a friend’s house for supper, at around 8.30pm. As we had just moved to Yorkshire we didn’t know what to expect, nor whether to eat beforehand,
It turned out to be a substantial offering including fruit cake and cheese, a delicious Yorkshire combination. But it was definitely not a main evening meal.
In Yorkshire you eat breakfast, dinner and tea, tea being a cooked meal around 5 or 6 or when people get home.
I grew up with breakfast, dinner and tea because we always ate our main meal around 12- 1 pm.
Now we have a light lunch and an evening meal, except on Sundays when we eat a Sunday roast at 1pm.. I rarely use the word dinner, except for Christmas dinner.
It has to be Christmas dinner, whatever time you eat the feast.

MawBroon Thu 30-Aug-18 23:21:40

Oh this could run and run phoenix hmm ?‍♀️ ?‍♂️ ?‍♀️ ?‍♂️

Teetime Fri 31-Aug-18 09:18:54

Just to confuse matters when does breakfast become brunch and when does brunch become lunch? grin

MawBroon Fri 31-Aug-18 09:43:26

Teetime When does breakfast become lunch?
When smoked salmon and Bucks Fizz come into the equation! ?
And Brunch becomes lunch when a preprandial G&T is offered.