Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Estate Agents' Use of English

(97 Posts)
Alexa Sat 14-Apr-18 00:56:14

The tiling is complementary not "complimentary".

And why not simply say that the garage has a side door instead of a "personel" door, or a "personal" door?

grannyticktock Sun 15-Apr-18 14:03:22

We used to peruse the estate agents' adverts just for laughs. One quote I enjoyed was
"View quickly to avoid disappointment".

GabriellaG Sun 15-Apr-18 13:55:13

quizqueen
You get nasty comments if you point out repeat spelling mistakes or poor grammar.

GabriellaG Sun 15-Apr-18 13:46:18

OldMeg
How is 'Absent's' a derogatory term? confused

Apricity Sun 15-Apr-18 13:29:40

One agent near us described a property as "sheik".

quizqueen Sun 15-Apr-18 13:14:58

When I checked the particulars my estate agents had given me, amongst other mistakes like not being able to spell 'separate', they described the local school as a junior school. When I pointed out it was a primary school, they didn't know the difference and said they had been using that term for years. I said surely it was important that prospective buyers knew there was an infants department there as my house was being advertised as a family home.

Also, while it is easy to press submit before proofreading accurately, those who think mabon1 is 'sad' for criticising poor grammar on this site should ask themselves why they are still making basic mistakes which should have been sorted out when they were in their reception class. That is what is truly sad, in my opinion. This is a discussion about estate agents' poor or incorrect use of English so it is no use criticising them with a poorly written comment!

Conni7 Sun 15-Apr-18 13:04:16

Had a good laugh! What would we do without a sense of humour?

Elrel Sun 15-Apr-18 12:56:33

mabon1 - And remember that whatever our standard of education, WE CAN'T EDIT!

Apologies to all for shouting!

Elrel Sun 15-Apr-18 12:54:20

Fennel - 'deceptively large' has long confused me too!

mabon1 - These threads are for communication, not criticism. Never mind, back to school on Monday!

Witzend Sun 15-Apr-18 12:52:00

'Situated in a sort-after road just outside of the town centre.
The landscaped garden boasts many flower boarders and the on suite has a shower cubical.'

All regular finds during my nosing on Rightmove and Zoopla!

holdingontometeeth Sun 15-Apr-18 12:51:09

Close to all amenities - public toilets next door.

Elrel Sun 15-Apr-18 12:47:48

Sarahellen - kerb appeal 'comprises' a few containers of bright flowers, doesn't it?

I think I live opposite a house mentioned previously. When a 'lively' family moved out Council workmen came to restore it to an acceptable standard. After some discussion they asked to look round the house next door as they could not work out the original layout. It seems that not just doors but sections of walls were missing.

In the '60s Roy Brooks advertisements in the Observer were worthy of Private Eye. I especially recall 'view of Blackheath from lavatory window'. Tell it like it is!

grandtanteJE65 Sun 15-Apr-18 12:42:35

"deceptively large" might be meant to mean that it looks small but is actually large.

I suspect, however, that the estate agent couldn't thing what else to say about a house that was probably small, badly planned and impossible to improve.

pollyperkins Sun 15-Apr-18 12:39:31

I think gramar, spelling and punctuation mistakes are excusable in general chat. We all make mistakes/typos etc and I wouldn't 'criticise someone for it. But when you are writing something to be on public display like a poster, concert programme, notice or estate agent details surely you should check and double check (with someone else who knows about these things if necessary) and get it right!

Charleygirl Sun 15-Apr-18 12:34:58

SuDoku unfortunately that is all I can read nowadays. I cannot read the tiny blurb usually written.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 15-Apr-18 12:34:34

In need of re-decorating - read: falling to bits.

small downstairs lavatory: read ye original Shanks toilet with high cistern, no hand basin. Facility installed in Victorian broom cupboard (reverse in if you need to sit)

large secluded garden - buy a goat to get rid of the weeds, overgrown bushes etc

Situated in quiet country road: no bus service, no room to turn a car except in your gateway and the snow-plough does not come down here in winter.

SueDoku Sun 15-Apr-18 12:28:32

There's An Estate Agent In My Area Who Writes Every Blurb Like This, With An Upper Case Letter At The Beginning Of Every Single Word...
I no longer read his adverts shock

floorflock Sun 15-Apr-18 12:08:41

How about the out of focus photographs and typing in CAPITAL LETTERS as if we can't read unless it is in capitals! Quite common now, it seems.

Nanny27 Sun 15-Apr-18 12:04:23

Only a small comment from me but I want to cry whenever I read that old estate agent's phrase, "comprises of".

sarahellenwhitney Sun 15-Apr-18 12:00:03

Many years ago DH still working we decided on a nearby b&b that was on the market and which I would run.So had to sell our three bed, two bathroom , fully fitted kitchen, extended lounge, central heated, triple glazed with conservatory, double garage and second to none uninterrupted Atlantic sea views The agents comment was' it needs kerb appeal.'

Charleygirl Sun 15-Apr-18 11:50:12

Is you sure? what is wrong about your good grammar? I canna see a mistake.

Chewbacca Sun 15-Apr-18 11:47:36

I found this list of estate agent speak: -
Scope for improvement - The place is falling apart
Well established area - Either: In the oldest, most run down, part of town, known in the trade as Shitsville or in a boring, featureless, two year old housing estate in which at least three houses have planted a couple of dying shrubs in their front gardens.
Greatly improved - A Do It Yourself nut has had free reign of the house and totally messed it up
Thriving part of town - The drunks from the pub next door use your front garden as a toilet on the way to the bus stop outside your door after buying chips from the chippie shop across the road.
Popular area - Half the houses in the street are for sale at any one time or are regulary visited by burglars.
An extra room downstairs which could be used as a guest bedroom or study - There is a small funny shaped area which is not big enough to be put to a meaningful use
With electrical sockets and telephone point -There is nothing the estate agent can think of to say about this room or he's obviously a trainee.
Extended by the present owner - There is a poorly built extension which probably does not have planning permission and almost certainly does not comply with building regulations.

Jalima1108 Sun 15-Apr-18 11:47:05

sorry - grammatical error blush
it's them estate agents what I am quoting as gets it wrong.

Jalima1108 Sun 15-Apr-18 11:46:11

Charleygirl there's nowt wrong with me grammar, it's them estate agents what I am quoting what gets it wrong.

Overthehills Sun 15-Apr-18 11:43:06

So that’s you tellt mabon! As one says here in Scotland!

Charleygirl Sun 15-Apr-18 11:42:02

Are you sure Jalima? It appeared to be very personal to me.