Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Four times I’ve read this today.....

(35 Posts)
Katek Wed 05-Sep-18 09:44:39

......and it’s only 9.40! Where has the expression “so fun” come from? What happened to the “much”? That’s me off to a good start to my day -grrr!

Willow500 Fri 05-Oct-18 07:08:00

Yes a lot of these are really annoying although I do find myself saying so.... sometimes. Our kitchen fitter finished every sentence with 'you know what I mean' - yes we did!

Years ago my in-laws had a shop selling veg - his sign said colliflowers - he knew it was wrong but he said he sold more that way grin

LullyDully Fri 05-Oct-18 08:02:14

I just loathe it when educated people on the radio begin every answer with ".So........ "

I did however, enjoy a big sign at Christmas on a stall selling " wall nuts from California". SO much for education !

Luckygirl Fri 05-Oct-18 08:59:22

Ah RosieLeah - but who decides which changes are for the better!? grin

Witzend Fri 05-Oct-18 13:41:11

I'm bemused at the over use (to me) of 'amazing'. So many things/people seem to be amazing now. I wonder what word we can use for things that really are amazing.

GrandmaCornwall Fri 12-Oct-18 11:02:52

“So” also drives me mad I lose track of the subject and start counting the times so is spoken. 26 in one interview! I can’t remember what it was about ?.

Willow10 Fri 12-Oct-18 14:26:41

It drives me mad when in answer to a question, someone says 'Yes, no, absolutely!' confused

LullyDully Fri 12-Oct-18 16:10:32

Wow.

Greenfinch Fri 12-Oct-18 16:57:31

I agree with Witzend. Most things seem to be incredible or unbelievable. The misuse of hyperbole is rife. I dislike it when people say everyone thinks or everyone is waiting for. I want to shout out "I'm not".

Auntieflo Fri 12-Oct-18 20:53:25

When answering questions recently, a nurse filling in a form, said perfect to everything I said.

After a little while it began to grate, and I was mouthing ‘perfect’ with her. (Not that I am you understand smile