Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

incorrect use of words

(98 Posts)
BradfordLass72 Thu 03-Jan-19 07:28:12

Pedants Corner is just the right place for me because I get so cross when in almost every book I read, some by leading authors, I hear words used incorrectly.

Prodigal does NOT mean 'returning' but profligate, spendthrift, throwing your money about like a man with no arms. (and how does that work btw?) smile

Brackish water is a mixture of salt and fresh, as in an estuary for instance, but is so often used as if it means dirty.

And so many more.
I know language changes and there are many words we use now which have reversed their meaning, 'sophisticated' for instance, but ti still make me wild.
Anyone else got a pet peeve word?

B9exchange Fri 04-Jan-19 09:25:31

Loose for lose, even crops up on pedant threads!
Lays down to sleep instead of lies down.

Are we allowed to mention pronounciation - probably a different threat, but either and neither I was taught should be a long 'i' as in eider duck?

B9exchange Fri 04-Jan-19 09:26:07

Thread, not threat, for goodness sake! smile

arosebyanyothername Fri 04-Jan-19 09:42:08

The use of ant instead of ent
as in independant ?
Also the use of so to answer a question. When did that start?

holdingontometeeth Fri 04-Jan-19 10:53:17

BradfordLass72

Pedants Corner is just the right place for me because I get so cross when in almost every book I read, some by leading authors, I hear words used incorrectly.

When reading I see words being used incorrectly.

I know language changes and there are many words we use now which have reversed their meaning, 'sophisticated' for instance, but ti still make me wild

Pardon me if I cant take your thread too seriously, though obviously I was drawn in enough to post. wink

sodapop Fri 04-Jan-19 15:22:08

holdingontometeeth ' cant' is defined as hypocritical and sanctimonious talk. I wouldn't take that seriously either.

shandi6570 Fri 04-Jan-19 15:34:14

holdingontometeeth, as you take such an interest in all that is written on Gransnet I am surprised that you haven't realised that Bradford Lass72 does indeed HEAR words and not READ them.
I'm sure she will accept your apology.

Nonnie Fri 04-Jan-19 15:43:19

Wish I hadn't read this thread let alone written on it. You are all reminding me of the irritating things I hear and read!

When you ask someone how they are and they reply "I'm good". Surely that is up to someone else to decide? Also when you thank someone and they respond "No problem", I always want to say that it never occurred to me to think it was!

Riverwalk Fri 04-Jan-19 15:45:43

Are we allowed to mention pronounciation?

Oh, dear! grin

gulligranny Fri 04-Jan-19 19:43:46

We were watching an old b&w film the other day when someone mentioned "welching" on a debt. Hoorary, we cried, because we hate it when people are accused of "welshing"!

BBbevan Fri 04-Jan-19 20:03:01

Cupfulls instead of cupsful ( have I written that correctly?)

sodapop Fri 04-Jan-19 20:16:50

Like son in laws instead of sons in law BBbevan

Scribbles Fri 04-Jan-19 21:02:34

And then there's the fine toothcomb....

FarNorth Fri 04-Jan-19 21:22:48

Or an empty bottle of water.

Blinko Sun 13-Jan-19 12:53:25

Pseudonyms...it's pseudonyms.

holdingontometeeth Sun 13-Jan-19 13:15:56

Interesting, or should it be interesting?

Sparklefizz Sun 13-Jan-19 14:36:29

I get annoyed when I heard nouns made into verbs, as in "medalling" (winning a medal) and a few weeks ago I heard "summitting" in a programme about climbing Everest. What's wrong with proper English as in "winning a medal" and "reaching the summit"? Grrr!

Sparklefizz Sun 13-Jan-19 14:39:43

Nonnie The "No problem" thing is even more annoying when I'm on the phone complaining to a company about something, eg. Vodafone, and the customer service person keeps saying "No problem" (it may not be a problem to you but it is to me). The other day I phoned a company and he asked for my name, and I said Mrs Sparkle, and he answered "No worries" . confused

MaggieTulliver Sun 13-Jan-19 15:02:06

Another one who hates the use of "so" at the beginning of a sentence.
The use of "around" instead of with regard to as in "the main issues around Brexit"
Pacific instead of specific
I could go on....

MaggieTulliver Sun 13-Jan-19 15:06:08

Oh yes - the use of "get" instead of "have" as in could I get a skinny frigging latte. Grrrr and thrice grrr

mcem Sun 13-Jan-19 15:24:17

It annoys me when posters are so adamant about the mistakes of others when their own posts are littered with mistakes.
Someone pm'd me pointing out quite abruptly that I 'd made a mistake and had used a word incorrectly.
I was able to furnish proof that my usage was correct. Be careful when taking someone to task.
The biter bit ??

MawBroon Sun 13-Jan-19 15:35:40

It was an apostrophe /possessive wasn’t it mcem ? grin

MawBroon Sun 13-Jan-19 15:36:22

Meant to add
nemo me impune lacessit

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 15:45:22

Itz awl abowt kommunicashun. If u understand and kan kommunicate cleerly how important izit?

FarNorth Sun 13-Jan-19 15:55:21

"could I get a skinny frigging latte."

If I was the counter assistant, I don't think "get" is the word I would take exception to, there.

PECS Sun 13-Jan-19 15:59:25

The answer is of course, 'No, it's OK I will get your skinny frigging latte. You stay just where you are!'