Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

So ?

(74 Posts)
MawBroonsback Fri 28-Jun-19 08:38:29

Oh how this irritates me!
Radio interview answers invariably start with a pause, then “...So.....”
“So” is then repeated ad nauseam
Even when “so” might have been acceptable, it has become like fingernails on a blackboard!

missdeke Sat 29-Jun-19 10:48:59

'Actually', I heard it used 5 times in one (rather overlong) sentence on the radio a couple of days ago!!!

inishowen Sat 29-Jun-19 10:53:40

I knew someone who said "you know" in the middle of sentences. It drove me crazy. I haven't seen her for years and wonder if she still does it.

Willow10 Sat 29-Jun-19 11:09:57

'"Yes, no, absolutely!" confused

HootyMcOwlface Sat 29-Jun-19 11:10:04

I think once you notice this sort of thing it’s really hard not to ‘hear’ it and it drives you potty! If I comment on it (eg someone who kept saying ‘like’ every other word!) people then say, oh I never noticed them doing that!

winterwhite Sat 29-Jun-19 11:12:49

I notice 'Well' much more than 'So'. But 'I went' for 'I said' annoys me more than either.
And even more irritating than 'can I get' is the reply 'No problem' - why would it be a problem to serve what is there to be sold?
Also 'sign there for me' - where did 'for me' come from?

knspol Sat 29-Jun-19 11:14:48

At least "so" seems to have stopped a lot of the upward inflection at the end of sentences. Now what might possibly stop "so"???

dogsmother Sat 29-Jun-19 11:19:47

Can I get, is one of mine but top of my list has to be........
Nom...I hate this! Whatever happened to yum yum and when was nom nom brought in?

moggie57 Sat 29-Jun-19 11:24:55

so ... lol . sew buttons on a shirt..

Gin Sat 29-Jun-19 11:27:46

I too dislike the overuse of ‘so’ and also I am noticing more and more people, well spoke most of the time, but replacing ‘th’ with ‘f’. Examples ‘everyfing’ and ‘nofing’. Also ‘with’ becomes ‘wiv’. I do not get it!

Annaram1 Sat 29-Jun-19 11:35:55

Sorry, but English is an evolving language, SO just, like, f.. .git used to it, and as you can't beat 'em, join 'em,,,,

Bijou Sat 29-Jun-19 11:39:17

I cannot stand the use of the f word so frequently nowadays even by educated people. When I was five we had some workmen in and I got a good hiding for repeating their use of the word. Also “like “ every other word.
What annoys me is the use of the word “only” on every price ticket in shops now.
The English language has changed tremendously during my life time.

BBbevan Sat 29-Jun-19 11:58:39

In London a lot of the young people finish a sentence with "init" . The Welsh, especially the N Welsh have always finished with "isn't it" The first I find annoying. The second endearing. ?

grandtanteJE65 Sat 29-Jun-19 12:06:14

I remember being reproved as a child for saying something was "that nice". The expression was common in Scotland but drove my parents up the wall.

GreenGran78 Sat 29-Jun-19 12:11:07

My GD, who is doing a law degree, gabbles at a great rate of knots, interspersed with ‘like’ at irregular intervals. I have told her that she will make a rotten solicitor if she doesn’t get a grip!
My pet peeve is the use of ‘sh**’, as in ‘get my sh** together’ etc. I find it repulsive.

annodomini Sat 29-Jun-19 12:12:00

Not long ago, I'm sure we were protesting the overuse of 'well...' to introduce a statement. Well, that has disappeared to be succeeded by 'so...' which will also run its course. What next?

Nanabanana1 Sat 29-Jun-19 12:27:44

I was taught never begin a sentence with and, so, but or because. SO I don’t ?

dragonfly46 Sat 29-Jun-19 12:30:49

I am afraid I have caught myself starting sentences with So recently blush

artnan13 Sat 29-Jun-19 12:35:09

And 'gifting'. We used to 'give' - now we 'gift'.

Tillybelle Sat 29-Jun-19 13:21:22

Ellianne. You have explained why I say it. I used to spend time in France, often correspond with French friends but sadly they are dying off! I often think in French, hence, I write that word!

Cambia Sat 29-Jun-19 13:24:48

For me it’s being addressed as guys. Can’t they see the boobs?

Tillybelle Sat 29-Jun-19 13:34:38

artnan13. Me too - Hate 'gift' being made a verb! It was "gifted" to me!! Yuk! But I've had to accept 'medal' being used thus. And I start sentences in conversational chats such as here with 'but and 'and'. I enjoy breaking the rules from schooldays!
However much I dislike some of the weird ideas, I have to suppress my own foibles and agree with Annaram1 "English is an evolving language," We don't want to have a department that authorises what we are allowed to say. Even if I don't like some of the new ideas that come along! I have to accept that growing old does mean becoming like the "old" people of my youth - an old fuddy duddy!

So, (tee hee) I've also been deliberately flouting some of the restrictive rules we had at school! I started this after a craze of reading Irish literature. Not because I saw it there, but because one needs freedom!! The language in Irish lit. is beautiful. I recommend "The Temporary Gentleman" by Sebastian Barry to start you off...

Tillybelle Sat 29-Jun-19 13:35:44

Whoops! I also enjoy breaking the rules...

Tillybelle Sat 29-Jun-19 13:40:54

moggie57
gringringrin

Tillybelle Sat 29-Jun-19 13:43:50

eazybee. Or "right then!" "Pay attention!". and "I'm waiting...."

Tillybelle Sat 29-Jun-19 13:50:57

GreenGran78
I think she probably has a "professional voice" and an "informal voice". I lectured in an FE College years ago and we used to run "Communication" courses deliberately aimed at helping students develop a "professional" way of speaking, particularly in respect of job interviews. Also the ones I taught were doing Social Care BTechs and really needed to develop clearer speech and enunciation because they gabbled too!