Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

What happened to 'th' ?

(94 Posts)
Mossfarr Tue 16-Jul-19 22:59:48

Why has it become so normal for so many people to speak without using 'th'?
It really irritates me when they say 'wiv' instead of 'with' or use 'viss' instead of 'this'.
When I was at school that was considered to be a speech impediment and children were given speech therapy to correct it.
When you watch TV it seems to have become the norm.
Why is this?

Namsnanny Wed 09-Oct-19 01:50:08

Any one else hate tv newsreaders pronouncing places and people as in their country of origin ie 'Paree' instead of Paris etc.?

Namsnanny Wed 09-Oct-19 01:42:46

Av u seen my nu seh-ee? I like fowt I'd geh id from a ca-a-log

as heard on a soap a while ago!

Scentia Tue 08-Oct-19 21:49:53

I am a terrible snob when it comes to grammar and speech

My biggest bugbear is when people say the letter ‘aitch’ and actually say ’Haitch’!!
Or sound the ‘H’ on words like Hotel when saying “I went to an Hotel.”

JackyB Tue 08-Oct-19 20:36:48

As with bad spelling, bad pronunciation is not acceptable when it changes the meaning of what is being said or written.

Fights, arguments, and - who knows? - possibly even wars can break out as a result of misunderstandings.

An apostrophe can change the meaning of a sentence.

There's a fine line between making a grammatical or spelling error and turning an innocuous statement into an insult.

Where do we draw that line?

GabriellaG54 Tue 08-Oct-19 19:11:56

Don't get me started. I HATE it.

M0nica Fri 19-Jul-19 12:44:57

Pronunciation of words, like grammar and meaning evolve ove.r time. That is why we no longer speak Anglo-Saxon

The older generation usually complain about it. As will today's youngsters when they get old and hear their children and grandchildren pronouncing things differently.

Lessismore Fri 19-Jul-19 08:58:08

Ah OK, I say joo...eh. l..ri

Hopefully this is acceptable.

People now think me strange as I wander about muttering words over and over again.

BradfordLass72 Fri 19-Jul-19 08:52:50

Not meant to be rude at all Lessismore just descriptive.

I hear 'joollery' so many times and it's wrong.

Nannarose Thu 18-Jul-19 15:47:34

Of course, we can all find certain accents / dialects / ways of speaking more or less attractive.
But I would ask those of you who have been critical of the way some of us speak, please think about how it would be if we all spoke in the same way (your way!)
Proper grammar for letters and documents, and some care in speaking is courteous, but otherwise I think we should celebrate difference. And I have never heard an accent that someone doesn't deride as 'lazy'.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jul-19 15:35:06

I find it quite difficult.
My mouth doesn't naturally make the shapes needed to make those sounds.
That's the best way I can describe it.

KatyK Thu 18-Jul-19 15:29:44

That sixth thing drives me mad. Very few people on TV can say sixth. I was listening to a commentary on something the other day and the person said 'this is the sick time this has happened'. They don't even make an attempt to say it properly. Why is it so difficult?

Atqui Thu 18-Jul-19 11:52:45

I think there’s s difference between dialects/accents and lazy or even affected speech e.g Tony Blair and Jane Garvey with their glottal stops which I find v annoying.

Lessismore Thu 18-Jul-19 11:41:26

Vocal fry stinks.

Greta Thu 18-Jul-19 10:52:54

Granny23, This is Pedants' corner so I think we are allowed to be a bit pedantic. I find dialects interesting and I am pleased that regional accents are now acceptable in most walks of life. However, sloppy speech is not a dialect. Also, if careless speech interferes with meaning this could have serious consequences. The other day somebody on the radio was describing how many job applicants are not offered a job because of their poor speech. They have no idea of register, don't articulate and show poor command of grammar. Surely, we must uphold some standards. Apparently many young applicants do not make eye contact. I wonder if this has anything to do with too much looking at phones/screens.

Lessismore Thu 18-Jul-19 10:20:23

Tee time....I think you mean " goooin Leicester" me duck!!!

Lessismore Thu 18-Jul-19 10:19:17

Lessismore the clue is in the first 5 letters: jewel

Bit rude?

So it's a J sound in my accent, followed by ool/ri sound.

I don't speak in a particularly sloppy way. People have accents. I say the word sure like sh...oo...a.It's accent.

GreenGran78 Thu 18-Jul-19 09:46:34

When I first moved to this little town near Wigan, 53 years ago, talking with the ‘auld fowk’ was almost impossible. They used so many dialect words that it was almost like being in a foreign country. The locals could tell, just from listening to your accent, which nearby town you came from - even just a few miles away.
Far from berating people for not ‘spakin proper-like’ I find it sad that the old ways are dying out. Who wants everyone to sound the same?

Teetime Thu 18-Jul-19 09:11:06

The area where I live people say they are 'going Leicester' rather than going TO Leicester - drives me mad.

Granny23 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:55:55

Thor goodneth thake, Granthnetterth!

What a fuss and so much hatred expressed. Like Classic I had problems with f and th, also pronouncing sh and s as 'th' when I was a child, Unfortunately my full name had 1 Sh 1 th and 3 esses in it - nightmare. It made me a very shy child, who preferred NOT to talk unless necessary. The problem was only resolved when my second teeth came in and I have scarcely stopped talking since.

It is obvious from the comments above that yous (that's You plural) can understand perfectly well what the criticised people are saying, so why all the fuss?

Personally, I love to hear different accents, dialects, etc. and can understand Youff Speak etc. I do find it amusing rather than annoying when cut glass English speaking news readers attempt to pronounce Scottish place names such as Auchtermuchty, Lochwinnoch, Ecclefechan, indeed anything with the 'och' sound therein without benefit of having learned how to make that sound. I am sure there are many examples throughout the UK where, unless you are local, you have no idea as to how to pronounce eg Milngavie, Brechin, Sauchie, Kirkaldy, and names such as Menzies.

Perhaps it is the time and effort that our generation were forced to expend on talking 'properly' that makes people so angry with those who speak in what is considered lazy or slang.

sodapop Thu 18-Jul-19 08:29:52

I dislike the double negative as well Shropshirelass my husband uses it all the time, I think its a Norfolk thing. ( ducks behind sofa to avoid missiles from Norfolk )

BradfordLass72 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:15:22

Lessismore the clue is in the first 5 letters: jewel

BradfordLass72 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:09:36

lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/f/fortyfahsundfevversonafrush.html

Remember this? (or vis, if you prefer) grin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 18-Jul-19 07:43:15

Do you think that we are being mischievous (miss-che-vus) or miss-cheev-ee-us? The second is terrible.
In the Santander ad with Ant & Dec, I believe Dec says, 'that's three less coffees', - it should be three fewer coffees, should it not?
Remember 'the plays what I wrote' with Morecombe and Wise? My nephews have always used variations on this theme and I wince inwardly.
Yorkshire tea - where everything's done proper!

Shropshirelass Thu 18-Jul-19 07:40:48

Yes, I agree. Also when they say should of instead of should have. Double negatives too! Don't get me on the English Grammar and spelling soapbox, I will be there all day! When my daughter was at primary school I had to have a word with her teacher, D had written an essay about visiting her GPs in their holiday bungalow. The teacher had crossed off the 'w' of the word bungalow throughout the essay! D went on to excel in English.

Calendargirl Thu 18-Jul-19 07:15:24

“Certificate” pronounced as “Sustificate”.
My DM used to say this.