Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

What happened to 'th' ?

(93 Posts)
Mossfarr Tue 16-Jul-19 22:59:48

Why has it become so normal for so many people to speak without using 'th'?
It really irritates me when they say 'wiv' instead of 'with' or use 'viss' instead of 'this'.
When I was at school that was considered to be a speech impediment and children were given speech therapy to correct it.
When you watch TV it seems to have become the norm.
Why is this?

MiniMoon Tue 16-Jul-19 23:45:52

It irritates me too. When my son was little he said viss and vat. I taught him how to make the th sound. It wasn't difficult. It's sloppy parenting in my opinion. Or else the parent thinks it's cute.

Jillyblom59 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:02:56

I am with you all the way on this one. Or they use ‘f’ instead of ‘th’. They say “ firty free” instead of “ thirty three”.
It drives me insane, but it appears to becoming the norm. ?

LJP1 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:03:20

It's immature speech - just a fad.

Witchypoo Wed 17-Jul-19 10:07:53

My children always asked to watch "caroons" i would not respond until the word cartoons was used. They soon learned correct english

annifrance Wed 17-Jul-19 10:08:47

Lazy speak.

Sarahmob Wed 17-Jul-19 10:12:43

I hate it - as a reception teacher I spend ages teaching the difference between th and f and really enforce it in speech. My SIL is from Essex and he substitutes th with f all the time and my DGS is picking it up - I now spend ages working with him on th and f too

Tris68 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:16:20

I hate it when the letter T is missed out. My eldest daughter is called Natalie. She always gets called Nat but if anyone says her full name they say Na-a-lee. It drives me CRAZY! I turn into my mother & say her name is Na-TA-lee, there is a T in the middle! Also the word water, turns into waer which drives me nuts! ?

nipsmum Wed 17-Jul-19 10:20:49

I have a daughter who had a speech impediment when she was young. She couldn't pronounce S. Sh and F sounds. Before she started school, aged 5, I took her to a speech therapist. One session and practice over 1 weekend, problem solved. It's just laziness on the part of some people, pronouncing words badly.

JaneA Wed 17-Jul-19 10:21:12

One that really gets me is 'communi'y'

Annaram1 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:26:26

My assistant at work had a baby boy, and gave him the name Martin. She always referred to him as Ma'in. I got so annoyed I asked her to write his name down. When she did I pointed out that his name had a T in it. Afterwards she pointedly called him MarTin.

Willow10 Wed 17-Jul-19 10:31:55

I hate to hear people talking about their latest ta -oo!

EllanVannin Wed 17-Jul-19 11:04:02

It's sheer laziness not to speak properly and so uncool among the slobs. How would they all sound if they spoke " properly " within their gangs ??

Camelotclub Wed 17-Jul-19 11:04:15

I get wound up when TV presents say 'sickth' instead of 'sixth'.

pinkym Wed 17-Jul-19 11:06:33

When my younger son was small he always used to say "fankyou". Every time I would say "th, th, thankyou", really emphasising the "th". He would say back "th, th, fankyou". It took a very long time but he finally got it! :-)

EllanVannin Wed 17-Jul-19 11:08:23

Especially when spoken in a " Deep South/Jamaican twang when born and bred in this country.
Then again some songs wouldn't sound the same in cut-glass English, particularly the " rap " kind----hahahahaha.

Shalene777 Wed 17-Jul-19 11:23:21

the th and f for me - firty free and a fird. A local one is yeller instead of yellow, drives me bonkers.

Greta Wed 17-Jul-19 11:34:02

Unfortunately the English language lends itself to sloppiness but this is not always the case. The Scots, for instance, seem to find it easier to articulate.

I taught in a secondary school and used to 'indirectly' correct poor speech. ”Miss, I'm going to a pa-y.” ”Lovely”, I would answer, ”whose parTy is it?” It never had an effect!

Also, it is apparently very rude to point out spelling/grammar mistakes. I guess it follows then that it is equally rude to correct sloppy speech.

Caro57 Wed 17-Jul-19 11:35:10

There is so much mis-pronounciation now - BBC especially! I feel blessed to have been taught to talk 'properly' but for years was labelled as the 'posh one' - I hated it but, as years advance, appreciate it.

Margs Wed 17-Jul-19 11:54:05

Here in Lancs you can come across an awful lot of people who pronounce the word Hospital as "'ospikal".

It sets my teeth on edge alright.

Gaunt47 Wed 17-Jul-19 12:05:38

I live in a lovely part of the world called "dewon'n'cawow". I often wonder how lip readers cope.

Revis Wed 17-Jul-19 12:12:17

I cannot for the life of me understand why Radio Nottingham employs presenters who say No'ingham all the time

Aepgirl Wed 17-Jul-19 12:15:42

We have a sports commentator on our local radio and he uses ‘f’ instead of ‘th’. Just imagine South Africa - Sauf Africa. What really makes me cross is that he can pronounce the names of foreign footballers (he says ‘futblers’) perfectly.

Gonegirl Wed 17-Jul-19 12:27:12

I haven't noticed this. confused

00mam00 Wed 17-Jul-19 12:37:39

My MIL used to say foonral (funeral) and I winch when my DH sometimes slips up on it.