Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Amn't I

(37 Posts)
FarNorth Fri 19-Jul-19 22:37:30

Can anyone explain why 'amn't I' is wrong and we have to say 'aren't I'?

grannyticktock Mon 22-Jul-19 22:13:08

Assuming there's more than one ant inhabiting the nest, it's "ants' nest". You write down who or what owns the nest (= ants) and then put the apostrophe after it.

sodapop Mon 22-Jul-19 12:43:51

Now you have opened up a new hornet's hornets' hornets nest BradfordLassgrin

BradfordLass72 Mon 22-Jul-19 11:56:33

I have just posted on another thread, 'ant's nest...'

Now I'm wondering if it should be 'ants' nest'
Or ants nest

And recently heard in a long list of reason why a man should not marry her, the girl said,
'....And then there's I'

confused ???

Alexa Mon 22-Jul-19 11:54:48

mcem, yes but the bit in inverted commas is what somebody else wrote.

I was born in Scotland and lived most of my life there so I agree with you. It's too bad any school teacher would object to any regional dialect, except perhaps its use in a business letter.

mcem Sun 21-Jul-19 21:04:59

alexa that doesn't happen in Scotland. 'Aren't I' just is not used!

Alexa Sun 21-Jul-19 17:01:47

" I've heard plenty of people saying 'amn't I' but if anyone said it in school they were corrected to 'aren't I'."

I am shocked. I wonder where your teacher was trained.

Fennel Sun 21-Jul-19 09:50:36

To me, amn't is correct anyway - "I am not" turned into a question.
It's incorrect to say "I are not".
OHO "aren't you...." etc is correct.

grannyticktock Sat 20-Jul-19 22:18:43

I agree that in Scotland and NI, "amn't I?" is normal. If you say "Am I or amn't I?", you can see the logic of it - we don't say "I are" or "I aren't", so "aren't I" is the form that's an aberration.

mcem Sat 20-Jul-19 20:31:40

Hear, hear Mr G!

Grammaretto Sat 20-Jul-19 20:25:54

DH says: "A long life and a Scottish education has raised no difficulty with amn't I. As with aren't I a small e is introduced to make pronunciation easier.
I regard amn't I as the correct original (though increasingly archaic) version of the Queen's English".

gulligranny Sat 20-Jul-19 17:33:46

Just been reading Kirsty Wark's new novel "The House By The Loch" set in Galloway and "amn't" is used quite a lot. I don't use it myself but I rather like it.

Blinko Sat 20-Jul-19 15:09:35

In the Black Country, it's 'Ay I?' smile but DS1 used to say 'Amnt I?' when he was small.

FarNorth Sat 20-Jul-19 15:05:49

I've heard plenty of people saying 'amn't I' but if anyone said it in school they were corrected to 'aren't I'.

Nannarose Sat 20-Jul-19 14:37:20

I find this interesting after the posts in Pedants' Corner, by those who are irritated by the way some of us speak.

Language both evolves, and retains parts of old dialects / languages. Where I live, we have quite a distinctive way of referring to 'my' or 'our' something. There are also a few verbs where we use a noun instead of the usual verb, and it then follows its own particular declension. We are not 'wrong', just not 'standard'. I use these in everyday speech, not in any formal setting.

Grannycool52 Sat 20-Jul-19 14:15:13

Sorry, 'those of us'. I mean people in both parts of this island.

Grannycool52 Sat 20-Jul-19 13:57:09

I say 'amn't I'. In my experience it is normal for those of who are Scots Irish and Hiberno English speakers to say 'amn't. I am interested to read that Scottish people do likewise.

mcem Sat 20-Jul-19 13:39:38

Ps. "I'm not" is equally common but not "aren't i".

mcem Sat 20-Jul-19 13:38:11

You're right there baggs. Still used widely in Dundee.
What bugs me far more is the intrusive (southern) r eg Annar Adams for which there is no logical grammatical reason!

annodomini Sat 20-Jul-19 13:24:00

It's part of my idiolect, having been brought up in Scotland, but I can understand that the consonant cluster 'mnt' doesn't sit well in southern speech. As I have lived longer south of the Border than north, I do find myself sometimes using 'aren't I?' which isn't even grammatical! My Norther Irish DiL is with me on this.

Baggs Sat 20-Jul-19 12:59:38

It's not wrong in Dundee, farnorth, not among the Dundee folk I knew, anyway.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 20-Jul-19 12:42:44

I assume, but don't know, that the logical form "Amn't I?" is more difficult to say due to m, said by closing the lips, being followed by n, which is formed by placing the tip of the tongue against the front of the hard palate.

Logically, we should say inpossible, but n before p gives the same sort of problem, so the word became impossible.

Anyone with a good knowlege of phonetics to back my assumption up?

Coolgran65 Sat 20-Jul-19 12:21:44

We use it here in Northern Ireland. We might also pronounce it ... amn’ta.

Callistemon Sat 20-Jul-19 12:18:23

I've never heard it before - not even from my Scottish friends!

Alexa Sat 20-Jul-19 12:13:18

I speak lowland Scots and say amn't I or am I not. People who speak foreign dialects say aren't I.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Jul-19 12:11:00

I heard it a lot in Scotland.

Never heard it here as we say "Ain't I?" wink