Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Mispronounced! And on Radio 4! By a newsreader!

(40 Posts)
phoenix Mon 25-Nov-19 19:55:31

Evening all, I'm just recovering from a fit of the vapours, if I had pearls, I would be clutching them, and possibly dabbing tea stains from my twinset with my lace trimmed handkerchief shock

Twice (*twice*!) today I have heard Radio 4 newsreaders say "jewlery"!!!!

Standards must be slipping, next thing we know they will be dressed in casual attire, rather than a dinner jacket and bow tie!

I suppose that tweeds and a cravat might be acceptable for the weekend...........But seriously, I'm getting a bit miffed with those who should know better (including an "expert" on the Antiques Road Show) pronouncing it as "jewlery".

Callistemon Mon 25-Nov-19 19:59:04

shock

As bad as it gets!

Have you every put the BBC sub titles on? Some of them are hilarious!

phoenix Mon 25-Nov-19 20:01:11

Not as yet, Callistemon but I have heard some amusing accounts!

blondenana Mon 25-Nov-19 20:12:20

I see a lot of this kind of thing on facebook and it takes me all my time not to correct it
I see wondering instead of wandering and the other way round
Also defiantly instead of definitelygrrr

Callistemon Mon 25-Nov-19 20:12:57

usually spelt joolery!

BlueBelle Mon 25-Nov-19 20:18:47

how do you say it then ?

phoenix Mon 25-Nov-19 20:19:11

Yes, Facebook has a lot of them, but they are printed (iykwim) errors, surely we should expect correct pronunciation from the BBC? (Whether in ties or cravats)

BlueSapphire Mon 25-Nov-19 20:36:20

Jewelry is what I say - never, ever joolery.

lemongrove Mon 25-Nov-19 20:51:40

Remember Inspector Frost? He always ( always) said burgelry
So did police on The Bill.?
Maybe their lines were written that way or did they think it was the correct way to say it?

phoenix Mon 25-Nov-19 20:54:26

BlueBelle if you think about it, and sort of break it down, one gem stone could be called a jewel, therefore it is pronounced "jewElry", not "jewlEry" (it's all to do with where you say the "e")

eazybee Mon 25-Nov-19 21:41:54

The subtitles for Doctors (I know) frequently refer to the Medical 'Practises' and the Practise Manager.

Witzend Mon 25-Nov-19 21:52:58

Since I'm often awake for the late night shipping forecast, it does irk me when the announcers pronounce 'wrath' (Cape Wrath) to rhyme with 'math' instead of 'moth'.

I suppose they didn't grow up with bible readings from the good old King James version , wherein they spake of the wrath of God - and whoever was reading it at school assembly or church knew how to say it proper-like.

kircubbin2000 Mon 25-Nov-19 22:27:23

The one that annoys me is contra bute for contribute.

Gonegirl Mon 25-Nov-19 22:42:22

I don't get the jewellery/jewlry thing. All sounds the same to me.

Scentia Mon 25-Nov-19 22:46:38

Joolery - wrong
Jew erl ree - correct

MawB Mon 25-Nov-19 22:52:48

Jewel-e-ry in my opinion with the stress on the first “e”

GagaJo Mon 25-Nov-19 23:03:52

One of my students questioned my pronouncing clerk as clark last week. I explained, but they thought I was nuts (the arrogance of teenagers).

BlueBelle Tue 26-Nov-19 04:27:04

I think I say jool ry but to be honest going over them both, they both sound familiar and ok
Not really worth getting your knickers in a twist over
I have been picked up on the word tongue which I say tong but round here people say tung perhaps it comes from spending so much of my childhood with Leicestershire grandparents if that’s how they pronounce it in Leicestershire who knows !

BlueSapphire Tue 26-Nov-19 07:33:09

DH (from Lancashire) also used to say 'tong' - and 'lickle' (for little). His father also insisted on pronouncing refuse as refuge, as in the stuff the bin men collect.

Witzend Tue 26-Nov-19 07:58:47

I really hate REEsearch instead of reSEARCH, but alas it's everywhere now. I have even found myself vowing (briefly) to give no more money to Cancer REEsearch, unless they stop saying it in the ads!
Yes, I'm a sad case, no need to tell me.

MamaCaz Tue 26-Nov-19 08:10:16

How about egnore and egnite?

BlueBelle Tue 26-Nov-19 08:26:03

Well I ve never said re search with the emphasis on the search it’s always been ree search
Oh definitely ig not eg
I think a lot depends on where you were brought up Essex ‘yous’ gives me the willies

Granny23 Tue 26-Nov-19 08:44:22

I've just discovered by saying it out loud that I say REsearch for the noun, eg Cancer Research and reSEARCH for the verb eg I will research those figures.

sodapop Tue 26-Nov-19 08:47:43

The burglary one annoys me as well. The other one I'm never sure about pronouncing is
harassment - which syllable is stressed the first or second ?
These things and many others are causing me grave concern. smile

annsixty Tue 26-Nov-19 08:55:18

I would never, ever get concerned, grave or otherwise about the way words are pronounced or mispronounced by me , newsreaders or anyone else.
I might think very fleetingly , oh that isn't/ doesn't sound right and then get back to the really important things in my life.