Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Why do people applaud themselves?

(84 Posts)
Grammaretto Wed 18-Dec-19 17:27:42

I can't get used to watching contestants on game and quiz shows clapping if they get an answer right.
What's this about?
Isn't it rude to congratulate yourself?

Boolya Thu 19-Dec-19 10:31:31

I recall our headmistress sternly telling us that we should not clap ourselves. We Brits do seem to undersell ourselves and be almost apologetic about our successes - a sweeping generalisation, I know. Russians, North Koreans to name but two, are often seen clapping themselves - cultural differences.

Jens Thu 19-Dec-19 10:40:10

I’m put off watching some shows because of the constant clapping! Very distracting. I think it’s encouraged because the show content is short and in some cases they use the clapping time to fill out and use up time. Shame, I love answering the questions!
Got to admit, we had a fully rounded and excellent schooling.

SueDoku Thu 19-Dec-19 10:46:26

Every time I see someone do this, I hear my late DM's voice in my head, saying, 'Only sea-lions clap themselves..!' grin

Grandmama Thu 19-Dec-19 11:03:15

I wish people didn't whoop.

Shalene777 Thu 19-Dec-19 11:04:10

I think to get on TV now you have to be so over the top. I hate the way they explain what all the wrong answers are and then finally the right one - just say the answer instead of showing off, it has stopped me watching lots of shows.
I think you are forced to do it to get on, if you are not overly animated you won't get on.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 19-Dec-19 11:05:08

I'll let a small cat out of the bag - I was on The Chase and we were encouraged to 'high-five' or hug the others excitedly if we got back to the final round.
@MamaCaz Sadly, we stoics aren't considered to be televisually entertaining. This is a shame as I'll bet that many quizzers are quiet people like myself who have to 'big themselves up' to please.
However, if my dream of winning the top prize on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? should ever come true I reserve the right to throw my hands up in the air with a huge grin and I may even burst into tears. I hope no-one would begrudge me that!

Mollygo Thu 19-Dec-19 11:18:45

‘Self praise is no recommendation’ was what we had drummed into us BUT if I get an answer right on Only Connect or University Challenge, of course I shout YES, punch the air or even clap.??

MamaCaz Thu 19-Dec-19 11:22:44

lovebeigecardigans1955
^ ... if my dream of winning the top prize on Who Wants to be a Millionaire? should ever come true I reserve the right to throw my hands up in the air with a huge grin and I may even burst into tears. I hope no-one would begrudge me that!^

In reply to your last sentence, absolutely not - as long as you don't follow that up with footballer-style celebratory antics! grin

Aepgirl Thu 19-Dec-19 11:23:33

This is something else that’s been ‘imported’ from USA. Let’s hope we don’t get the screaming, whooping, and jumping up and down like they do on American game shows.

FearlessSwiftie Thu 19-Dec-19 11:23:38

What is so bad about it? If you are feeling happy and proud why not congratulate yourself?

Margs Thu 19-Dec-19 11:43:35

And contestants on any "reality" programme referring to their experience, however horrendous or embarrassing, being "an awesome journey?"

Where would this 'journey' be going to then?

Grammaretto Thu 19-Dec-19 11:57:19

grin EllieB52
It was true. I was in the audience for that show once as an 11 yr old.

grannygranby Thu 19-Dec-19 11:58:43

Oh no gramaretto and Mali! I thought it was because I was a cool now I realise it was because I went to Presbyterian Sunday school. I am so embarrassed for people when they blow their own trumpets

FarNorth Thu 19-Dec-19 12:03:45

I expect contestants have a 'rabbit in headlights' feeling when they're on these shows, and can't remember what they were told to do when, so if they hear the audience clapping they join in.

Grammaretto Thu 19-Dec-19 12:05:01

Because it makes half the population squirm FearlessSwiftie
The other thing I detest is canned laughter for unfunny, IMO, radio "comedians"
I am a bundle of fun aren't I. wink

Would I begrudge MamaCaz winning Millionaire and turning somersaults? No I can't wait. Have you applied?

Craftycat Thu 19-Dec-19 12:10:51

I thought I was the only pe
rson to get annoyed by this. So nice to know I am not alone!!

Chestnut Thu 19-Dec-19 12:15:12

It's not a bad thing when you've actually done something clever or achieved something as part of the show, feeling a sense of pride and wanting to express that. It's the celebrity guests who applaud themselves when their name is mentioned that annoy me (i.e. Graham Norton Show). They are just applauding their own fame!

Rufus2 Thu 19-Dec-19 12:19:31

dad telling me, when I was about six, that we shouldn't clap ourselves
MamaCaz What an odd thing to say to a 6 year old! hmm How would that come up in conversation? I've heard of prim and proper school teachers of which we seem to have a fair number here, but never prim and proper Dads.
Blowing your own trumpet is also very useful, especially when nobody is taking notice!
Otherwise go to church! grin
OoRoo

Kalu Thu 19-Dec-19 12:32:38

Nothing odd at all with a father teaching his children good manners..

I will leave you to continue blowing your trumpet Rufus

Buttonjugs Thu 19-Dec-19 12:55:43

My mother constantly belittled me as a child, for example I told her I wanted to be a pop singer when I grew up. She told me that I didn’t have the voice for it. Years later she confessed that she was trying to stop me being precocious because it wasn’t an attractive trait in girls, but she regretted it. A bit late because it destroyed my self esteem. I think people should be allowed to be proud.

Tangerine Thu 19-Dec-19 13:12:57

Perhaps the people who are making the game shows ask the contestants to behave in an over the top way. They are making a programme and perhaps feel it wouldn't be too interesting for the audience if people were passive and quiet.

Quizzer Thu 19-Dec-19 13:29:54

I have been on several TV quiz shows over the years. You are encouraged to applaud everything! Sometimes it feels wrong but you go along with the directors instructions.

Rufus2 Thu 19-Dec-19 13:35:20

Kalu You're too kind! At least it grabbed your attention. tchsmile But you're missing the point.!
Now tell me! What would your hypothetical Dad say if his daughter playing football, scored a goal and ran along the touchline doing double somersaults like our Sam Kerr did recently, before disappearing beneath a pile of team mates doing high 5s, or would you expect her to cast her eyes to the turf and smile sheepishly?
It's now 12.30am here and we have a forecast 43C day ahead, so I'd best gird my loins and get some restful sleep.!
G'night and OoRoo

MamaCaz Thu 19-Dec-19 13:48:17

Me: I remember my dad telling me, when I was about six, that we shouldn't clap ourselves

Rufus2 MamaCaz What an odd thing to say to a 6 year old! hmm How would that come up in conversation? I've heard of prim and proper school teachers of which we seem to have a fair number here, but never prim and proper Dads.

My dad was certainly not prim and proper - if he were still with us, he would find that idea hilarious grin

Nevertheless, he saw part of a parent's role as that of passing on to us children the 'social rules' that he had been taught himself, and that were certainly still the norm in my area when I was a child in the early sixties, things like how to hold a knife and fork, not to put elbows on the table at mealtimes (a rule that I knowingly flout these days as it always seemed stupid to me), not to put feet on bus seats, not to make do much noise that it might impact on the people around me ... .
I could go on, but should point out that these pearls of wisdom were imparted over a long period of time, and mostly in the form of spontaneous observations, never as a lecture.

Perhaps not surprisingly, I don't actually remember how/why the comment (I am pretty sure it wasn't actually a 'conversation' as such) arose, but I think that all the other children at school must have been told the same thing, because I don't remember any of them ever clapping themselves!

Each to their own - people are free to do as they please regarding clapping, but people are free to think what they like about it too. smile

Cabbie21 Thu 19-Dec-19 13:55:13

I must say I don’t like the way Bargain Hunt contestants seem to be more exuberant, and silliness and OTT behaviour seems to be encouraged. I suppose it is thought to make better Television. What is wrong with taking something seriously?

And talking of church, as some were, there are many occasions in church where there is applause and celebration.
At my grandson’s carol service, there was a specific request not to applaud the musical items. Quite right too. But at the end the Vicar invited applause before he gave the final blessing. It was well deserved.