Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Wellness

(51 Posts)
LullyDully Mon 20-Jan-20 08:44:32

I am quite happy to learn and use a new word but find the use of wellnessvery irritating. Why not health?
Do we now have National Wellness service?

Am I the only one who finds it grating? ( wellnicity or wellnicityness could be other form of this new usage maybe)

rosenoir Fri 24-Jan-20 17:15:24

I cannot stand people saying "my bad" when they have done something wrong.

sodapop Fri 24-Jan-20 17:13:20

TrazzerMc The other one which really annoys me is "I got some texes" is that even a word ?
Glad to have Wellness clarified craftyone I could do with some at present.

craftyone Fri 24-Jan-20 16:39:51

wellness is not just health, it is a state of being which includes a zest for life. It encompasses health but wellness means that yin and yang are in balance. Wellness is a pretty good word

KarenDerna Fri 24-Jan-20 16:34:47

The ones that really annoy me are -everybody seems to feel blessed, also a lot of people find things humbling and are humbled.
Still it gives us something to moan about.
I love talking to the TV and radio, especially the adverts, one of the many advantages to getting older

Elegran Wed 22-Jan-20 12:21:34

pat9 A pedantic answer is that "so" is a modifier for an adjective - as in "so green" or "so tall" or "so awful" and sounds Ok with "so much".

Parts of speech are increasingly being used lately to do things that we are not accustomed to - such as "so" modifying words like "fun". This used to be only a noun, you "have fun", but with the arrival of "fun choc bars" it is having to do double duty as an adjective. This makes people feel that they can use "so fun", instead of saying "such fun".

It always sounds clunky to me.

pat9 Wed 22-Jan-20 11:14:40

Yes, getting me and I mixed up annoys me too. Also not putting the other person's name first and don't get me going on apostrophes.

pat9 Wed 22-Jan-20 11:11:07

Why should "That's so fun" get to me while "That's so much fun " doesn't?

Joplin Tue 21-Jan-20 02:36:16

Grapel - a kindred spirit! I've called out "No!!!" at least 3 or 4 times in the last 24 hours ( 2 different radio stations ). Nice to know you might be doing it with me.

welbeck Tue 21-Jan-20 00:13:32

wow, this is a risky forum to step into !
I cannot see why using guys for everyone is anti-feminist.
I cannot see any problem with it. quite like it.
as for me and x went to... have you noticed the converse which annoys me slightly, people who say,
thank you for the gifts you gave to my wife and I.
I stopped going to a church when I heard the new curate say this. silly, I know, but..
one that I noticed recently and it does annoy me, eg, I cant stand that plant, I shall have to get rid. full stop.
instead of get rid of it.
I thought it was a conscious affectation to reference ?Yiddish forms of speech.
but I've noticed more and more people doing it, and one whom I asked about it, said she'd always said it.
ive heard her speaking for 7 yrs but only heard it recently. where/ why / what ? anyone.

GreenGran78 Mon 20-Jan-20 23:31:31

grandetanteJE65 you have used one my my pet hates by saying ‘loosing’ instead of ‘losing’.

3nanny6 Mon 20-Jan-20 23:01:54

One I find irritating is when the young say "Oh that's sick"
when they text it they spell it sic but still pronounced as sick.
It means that is good that is all fine strange use of the English language to me.

Decembergirl Mon 20-Jan-20 21:48:46

I know we are discussing wellness - but ........
I can’t bear ‘Me and Paul went to .......
Who remembers that we were not more important than the other person so don’t put yourself first! And secondly - break it down - Paul went to - I went to!!!! I remember hearing Prince William saying ‘me and my brother’. It’s not being down with the kids - it’s just plain wrong!! ???

Missfoodlove Mon 20-Jan-20 20:59:51

For those that were not sure, here is the official definition of woke

“ What does woke mean in today's culture?
In its modern-day, politicised context, 'woke' is defined by the OED as 'originally: well-informed, up-to-date. Now chiefly: alert to racial or social discrimination and injustice'.

kelleensc Mon 20-Jan-20 18:49:54

Thank you for finding this information. It makes perfect sense to me. Health is our current state of physical, emotional, or mental wel-being, and wellness is more of a lifestyle that informs our behavior and choices in that impact our physical, mental, emotional health.

Hilarybee Mon 20-Jan-20 17:33:06

My son and dil had just come back from a holiday and I said to dil “you look well”. I could see that by saying this I had upset her but I couldn’t work out why. I eventually discovered that saying she looked well actually meant that she looked fat! So I never tell anyone that they look well anymore

ladymuck Mon 20-Jan-20 17:07:17

I think this is another example of change for the sake of change. To me it suggests that being healthy is somehow unusual.
My doctor keeps asking me to call in for health checks. I get the impression you would like (for a change) for me to go and see her because I'm actually ill.

luluaugust Mon 20-Jan-20 16:57:42

Train station instead of Railway station grates on me. Yes "guys" is infuriating soooo unfeminist. I know language has to evolve.

absthame Mon 20-Jan-20 16:30:31

Wellness, guys (unless offering to a male group) and similar terms drive me to distraction, unfortunately my reactions also drives my wife to distraction confused. Maybe I will become more discrete with age grin

Lizbethann55 Mon 20-Jan-20 16:14:22

I find "gonna" instead of "going to" is really annoying.

Ellianne Mon 20-Jan-20 15:52:03

Prince Harry, "a charity me and Meghan ...."
Grrr.

MarieEliza Mon 20-Jan-20 15:18:22

Heads up, is rather irritating. When the young people used it I had to look it up. I must be getting old

sparkii Mon 20-Jan-20 14:49:51

We need wellness because we have created unwellness, caused by greed and rampant consumerism.

Nannan2 Mon 20-Jan-20 14:49:34

And ditto mumskigrin

Nannan2 Mon 20-Jan-20 14:48:56

Im with you LullyDullygrin

mumski Mon 20-Jan-20 14:47:51

Also... when did everything become a 'solution' rather than an 'answer'. ? So annoying once you start to notice it.