Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Me and my language: I just don't understand it!

(33 Posts)
newgran2019 Mon 03-Feb-20 12:21:07

Sorry if this has been commented on before, but I just opened today's messages and found one that begins 'Me and my husband...': a simple sentence with a subject, verb and object. Many people from all walks of life - even the royals - are now starting sentences with 'Me and X' when it should be 'X and I', and not just in everyday speech. Why do people all of a sudden think this is in any way correct? We would never say, 'Me is just going out' - unless we were about two. I just don't understand it. I know language evolves, but this is plain wrong in every language I have ever learned.

Anniebach Mon 03-Feb-20 12:34:33

How unkind

grumppa Mon 03-Feb-20 12:53:02

You are correct, OP, but "my husband and I" sounds a bit like the Queen making a speech at a Buck House banquet. Think of the "me" to which you object as the demonstrative usage, if it's any consolation.

MamaCaz Mon 03-Feb-20 12:57:25

I agree with you, grumppa.

Chardy Mon 03-Feb-20 13:01:09

The sad part is that pupils as young as ten will have marks deducted in tests for writing like this. Primary grammar is indescribably complicated! I've never heard of fronted adverbials - but ten year olds need to know how to use them.

My moan is so many people using 'myself' instead of 'I' or 'me'. Is this because they don't know when to use each. 'I' is the subject of a sentence, 'me' is object.

annodomini Mon 03-Feb-20 13:06:41

I agree in principle, grumppa, but in practice, I couldn't bring myself to use such an expression - but then I was educated in Scotland in the 40s and 50s.

grumppa Mon 03-Feb-20 13:08:51

I would never use it either, just trying to be conciliatory!

vampirequeen Mon 03-Feb-20 13:21:31

I just don't like to sound like I'm mimicking the Queen grin

Charleygirl5 Mon 03-Feb-20 13:24:49

anno we had the best education in my opinion.

MamaCaz Mon 03-Feb-20 13:28:55

newgran2019
I know language evolves, but this is plain wrong in every language I have ever learned.

The French would say 'Mon mari et moi ...', not 'mon mari et je'. wink

Urmstongran Mon 03-Feb-20 13:47:43

In the past I have gone to post ‘my husband and I ...’ and I changed my mind as it sounded queenly!

MamaCaz Mon 03-Feb-20 13:51:35

Me too, Urmstongran (or should that be 'I too'?) grin

Farmor15 Mon 03-Feb-20 14:05:33

We used to correct our children for this, but more because they were putting themselves first, rather than the other person. It does sound a bit queenly to say "My husband and I..", but not if talking about another 3rd party - "John and I went...". You would be unlikely to say "I and John went.."

Rufus2 Mon 03-Feb-20 14:09:49

We would never say, 'Me is just going out
That conversation in our house would condense to,

Son: "Going out"
Me: "where to?
Son: "Dunno"
hmm

Yennifer Mon 03-Feb-20 14:19:33

Most people use formal and informal speech, using informal doesn't mean we don't know formal. Schools literally teach the difference between the two. I'm sure it's fine x

Kalu Mon 03-Feb-20 14:36:58

Also educated in Scotland. Just imagining the rage brought down on me by our English mistress should I have said ie; ‘me and Jenny are going to a party’. I would have instinctively, said Jenny and I.

However, I would think it bad manners to correct others.

Callistemon Mon 03-Feb-20 14:47:07

As DH would say:
"My wife and I were deeply moved by Andrews' Liver Salts".
(substitute husband as appropriate)

I think that "Me and my husband" is informal and perhaps used in some dialects more than others.
Or, as I have heard: "Me and me husband".

You just remove the other subject of the sentence to find out if it is correct or not. The positioning of the verb is normally the indicator as to which or who is the subject and which or who is the object:

John and I gave a present to Joe
Joe gave a present to John and me

notanan2 Mon 03-Feb-20 14:51:00

Because "my husband and I" just sounds comical and rediculous nowadays. Its okay if youre the queen. If youre not it just sounds funny.

vampirequeen Mon 03-Feb-20 15:29:01

Around here because a man would say, "Me and the wife" or "The wife and me." Not only grammatically incorrect but also turning the wife into property grin

sodapop Mon 03-Feb-20 16:05:26

I really dislike that as well vampirequeen Grrrr

Callistemon Mon 03-Feb-20 17:32:45

The missus
Or her indoors.

I prefer She who must be obeyed, vq
grin

MaizieD Mon 03-Feb-20 17:42:20

Well, one could, in Gransnet speak, write 'OH and I'. That doesn't sound at all queenly grin

Lucca Mon 03-Feb-20 17:42:20

At least it wasn’t “me and my hubby”. Think I’d prefer ungrammatical to twee
?

mcem Mon 03-Feb-20 18:44:41

This subject was discussed very thoroughly on GN a few years ago and I ventured to say that I'd always say "X and I met up" and never "me and X met up". (Admittedly no 'queenly' implication).
I was roundly criticised by one poster who declared I could not be telling the truth because no-one would say that in a casual phone conversation!!
Well I do!

MissAdventure Mon 03-Feb-20 18:47:25

I don't know what the correct way to say it is, and I don't understand the explanations.