Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Meghan & Harry's long, long, long goodbye......

(49 Posts)
Margs Thu 12-Mar-20 10:33:35

If the celebrity Royal couple were really so determined to leave the front line of duty behind and go off to do their own thing.......then why is it taking so very long? And why are their photos plastered everywhere in the media day in and day out?

Reminds me of the late Peter Cook & Dudley Moore singing the song "Goodbye".

(PS: Harry looking increasingly bewildered too - maybe the full impact of trying to have your cake and eating it is finally coming home to roost?)

ExD Sat 04-Apr-20 16:20:49

I like seeing the queen's speeches as well as seeing posts of H&M.
I like seeing Anniebach's sensible comments on the royal family too.
But, like her, I'm surprised by how many people who are uninterested in H&M even bother to open the posts and why they bother to comment is beyond understanding.
Anyone know exactly how long the couple lasted in Canada?

merlotgran Sat 04-Apr-20 09:25:48

On a lighter note grin

newnanny Sat 04-Apr-20 01:53:43

Yes, I just read Princess Eugenies FiL is in critical care. Hope he recovers soon. Princess Eugenie, Jack and Sarah Ferguson have been out delivering care packages for those stuck at home. The Queen is to address the nation on Sunday evening at 8pm.

merlotgran Fri 03-Apr-20 23:21:53

Spare a thought for Eugenie whose father in law who is in intensive care and her MiL who has also had it but is now recovering

Are you sure family doesn't matter, Harry?

Namsnanny Fri 03-Apr-20 22:16:35

Thanks for letting me know Gemini17892 smile

Gemini17892 Fri 03-Apr-20 20:09:41

That shopping photo was an April Fool joke

SpringyChicken Fri 03-Apr-20 20:04:13

Harry will need security protection, probably for the rest of his life, whether he continues royal duties or not, wherever he lives, in or out of the limelight. Regardless of the life he intends to lead, he is vulnerable because he is the brother of a future king. He'll always be a target for kidnap or murder.

I don't envy him one little bit. Should he be penalised because of his birth and have to pay for his own security? Who amongst us would like our lives to be ruled to the same extent?

He has fame, connections and money but none of that brings happiness. He's desperately trying to find that for himself and whatever he does, someone criticises.

sodapop Fri 03-Apr-20 19:30:39

Thanks lemongrove smile

Namsnanny Fri 03-Apr-20 19:28:11

Just had a thought, could that photo be a Harry 'lookalikey' fake news thingy? Does that happen in the press, or just on tinternet?

Namsnanny Fri 03-Apr-20 19:24:55

The only photo I've seen recently is of Harry leaving Costco(?) in USA, with a trolley full of what looked like toilet rolls and nappies!!!
Grossly over filled and set against the hoarding and excessive panic buying stories in our press, it looked vaguely greedy to me.
Not the tabloid headline they were going for I don't think!

'Hoarding Harry'

Shows how totally out of step with real life H&M and their advisers are, IMV.

So he's now Mr Ordinary, out doing the family shop, dressed in his base ball cap and trainers?

Totally staged PR photo.

How gullible do they think the public are?

They don't get it, the world has moved on in a blink of an eye. The virus is centre stage now.

They still think its all about them!

I'm beginning to feel sorry for him, all the advice he is following is making him look completely idiotic.

merlotgran Fri 03-Apr-20 19:08:24

Harry's 'cross' face always reminds me of when DS was small and couldn't get his own way.

Sometimes it's so put on you just want to laugh.

Harry wore the same expression at Westminster Abbey as he did when he was forced to be in the same room as Donald Trump.

'Look everybody, I'm CROSS!' grin

Bridgeit Fri 03-Apr-20 17:54:50

?thank you

Baggs Fri 03-Apr-20 17:51:26

Good point, bridgeit.

anniebach also. It's funny how much people have to say about what other people should stop talking about ?

Bridgeit Fri 03-Apr-20 17:36:18

Photographs are chosen & edited for maxim affect & maxim sales.

Anniebach Fri 03-Apr-20 17:33:44

Those who are not interested post a lot on the H & M threads

Baggs Fri 03-Apr-20 17:29:08

UNDRAMATIC statement: In recent photos I've seen of Harry and Meghan, Meghan is always smiling and Harry is not.

Make of that what you will. I told you what I made of it.

Bridgeit Fri 03-Apr-20 17:28:49

Their photos are plastered everywhere because people make money from them Being plastered everywhere.
Photographers , journalists, magazines , clothes designers etc etc.
Whilst their is a desire for the general public to want this it will continue.
Although those of us who are not interested would be hard pressed to find any or all of the above without them in it.

Baggs Fri 03-Apr-20 17:27:27

To say nothing of the DRAMA some people can put into other people's ordinary diction. When did words like beautiful, worried and bewildered become DRAMATIC?

Impressionistic, if you please. Anyone can take an impression from a photograph. Isn't that the hwole idea?

GagaJo Fri 03-Apr-20 17:18:59

Blimey. The DRAMA people can wring out of photographs of people they don't know and have never met!

Baggs Fri 03-Apr-20 16:53:10

Bewildered is a good word for Harry's looks in the photos I've come across recently, margs. In all of them (and no, I don't look them out; I come across them while reading online news) Meghan is smiling beautifully and Harry just looks slightly worried, or bewildered.

Ah well, good luck to them.

lemongrove Fri 03-Apr-20 16:35:59

They have gone now, but not to Canada ( they didn’t love it there after all) but to Los Angeles to live.

Soda a thumbs up for the correct spelling of free rein??
Have seen all sorts on here in the past including reign and rain.?

sodapop Fri 03-Apr-20 16:34:53

Sorry I don't understand your post.

Anniebach Fri 03-Apr-20 16:31:52

So some choose to do the moderating ?

sodapop Fri 03-Apr-20 16:25:47

The moderators are not consistent though Annie. Some posts are deleted for minor infringements whilst other posters are allowed free rein it seems.

Anniebach Fri 03-Apr-20 14:32:44

It is up to moderators to judge if posts are not acceptable