Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

‘I WOULD SAY’! It’s just so silly.

(166 Posts)
ayse Tue 19-May-20 18:39:35

This phrase really annoys me! They could just say what they wanted instead of using this ridiculous phrase. To me, it’s like ‘squaring the circle’ (impossible)!

Are there any phrases that other find equally irritating. I’d like to put them in Room 101 but that’s a different thread!

Rutheleanor Wed 20-May-20 09:51:55

When the weather forecasters say ‘as we head into the weekend’.

Lilyflower Wed 20-May-20 09:52:08

Uni, pronounced Yoonee, instead of university.

What do yoonees teach that anyone wants to know?

Witzend Wed 20-May-20 09:57:02

Most of the above!
‘Oh my days!’ is another - who the hell dreamed that up and spread it around like the dreaded coronavirus?
(Prime candidate for my rat-infested dungeon when I’m a dictator ?)

Happysexagenarian Wed 20-May-20 09:57:04

'My bad' - utterly stupid expeession.
'So' when starting a sentence.
'I'm good' when you enquire how someone is.
'Can I get' when someone is ordering food etc

And numerous other expressions that don't make any sense or murder our lovely English language.

pollyperkins Wed 20-May-20 09:57:11

One I’ve noticed increasingly lately is ‘going forward’ or ‘moving forward’. Whats wrong with ‘in the future’?

Janetashbolt Wed 20-May-20 09:58:02

MY BAD, it makes no sense, why not say my mistake, very American and I wince everytime I hear it, yes petty I know

NannaToon Wed 20-May-20 09:58:02

Can I get .....

25Avalon Wed 20-May-20 09:58:52

Makes me think of Mandy Rice Davies when she said “he would say that wouldn’t he.”

Sueki44 Wed 20-May-20 09:59:20

I hate it when people say’good’ in answer to‘How are you?’. I also cringe when people pronounce H as Haitch . No one says N Haitch S though, do they?

t42and24t Wed 20-May-20 10:00:44

"Enjoy" when a waitress give you your meal .That always gets me going I want to say What if I don't ??????

Esmerelda Wed 20-May-20 10:02:31

"To be perfectly honest" ... implies they aren't honest in anything else they say.
A variation is "To be quite frank" ... grr!

polnan Wed 20-May-20 10:07:42

I hate "lessons will be learnt" referred to on page one here

I shout at the tv,,, yes, but will you ACT on it!

nannypiano Wed 20-May-20 10:08:44

The one that irritates me is when the weather men describe a sunny day, as wall to wall sunshine. Urrgggh.

Willow10 Wed 20-May-20 10:09:49

The latest one seems to be "That's a very good question!"

Well, yes - otherwise I wouldn't have asked it! (And a very good answer would be nice!)

Wishes Wed 20-May-20 10:13:56

I also cringe when people pronounce H as Haitch . No one says N Haitch S though, do they?

Just sung the alphabet song to myself and sang Haitch!! You have to do it without thinking about it which is difficult because you are thinking about it grin

Rosieroe Wed 20-May-20 10:17:31

Dragonfly46 - I complained via email to a local garden centre when the tomato plant in a home delivery from them was completely bent over at the base and a pack of 6 geraniums had only 5 plants. Their response: “Oops! My bad.” (They did replace them.)

JudyPat Wed 20-May-20 10:18:57

Mine is .............. working 24/7 365.
Impossible to do!

janeainsworth Wed 20-May-20 10:20:21

Am I the only one who’s wondering what’s wrong with saying ‘I would say’? and in what context it’s annoying?

GrannySomerset Wed 20-May-20 10:22:00

“Coming days” meaning absolutely nothing precise. Very popular with news reporters who don’t know when something will happen/be announced/be done.

Kiwigramz Wed 20-May-20 10:23:19

Simples instead of simple

homefarm Wed 20-May-20 10:26:37

Absolutely agree.
This one is masonic in origin.
Complete rubbish

Toddleo Wed 20-May-20 10:27:58

Starting sentences with "So...." which seems to happen all the time amongst the younger generation, and "can I get..." when they get to the front of the queue.....Aagghh, "no, the person who is behind the counter is employed to get it for you..."

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 20-May-20 10:34:25

Agree with Helgawills - At this moment in time - is there any other time we can have this moment?

Also where has problematic come from? Can they just say It's a problem?

Rant over!!

Sickofweddingcake Wed 20-May-20 10:36:35

Haha...Toddleo:
I was just reading through all of the replies, to make sure I didn't repeat anything that had already been said; and yours was the last post!
SO... starting EVERY sentence with SO... my absolute pet hate!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 20-May-20 10:46:54

"He (or she) turned round and said" - does that mean people are constantly spinning round when they speak?

My bad is another silly phrase, and our local weatherman always says "this is how things (or the weather) is set up" - does someone somewhere actually set up clouds, sunshine etc?!