Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

‘I WOULD SAY’! It’s just so silly.

(166 Posts)
ayse Tue 19-May-20 18:39:35

This phrase really annoys me! They could just say what they wanted instead of using this ridiculous phrase. To me, it’s like ‘squaring the circle’ (impossible)!

Are there any phrases that other find equally irritating. I’d like to put them in Room 101 but that’s a different thread!

Lucca Fri 22-May-20 12:56:35

I don’t like “why oh why”. “Don’t get me started on” so beloved of some gransnetters just to even up the balance, it’s not always the young people using irritating expressions ! I used to hate it when my mother said “in my day”

Redhead56 Fri 22-May-20 13:16:51

The expression yesterday evening instead of last night irritates me. Lately no matter what the conversation is on tv everyone starts a sentence with 'So'. I can't stand being served by someone young referring too me as love.

Lucca Fri 22-May-20 14:05:15

Good heavens grumpy or what ?! What is wrong with yesterday evening? Being called love or duck or my darlin....surely that’s regional and quite nice really ?

Daddima Fri 22-May-20 14:14:15

I’ve listened to the argument about language evolving, but I can’t see how, ‘ was like’ is an acceptable substitution for ‘ said‘ , as in, ‘so I was like, ‘ where are you going?’ And how is it an evolution of language to use ‘ like’ in front of every second word? ‘ It’s, like, raining today, so I’ll need to, like, put on my raincoat, and take, like, an umbrella.’

FarNorth Fri 22-May-20 14:37:43

I wonder if a hockey stick would be enough like an umbrella to do, Daddima.

Sussexborn Fri 22-May-20 15:11:42

Hate to admit it but I am not the least bit bothered about how other people say things as long as they are pleasant and polite.

When we first moved here I didn’t realise “You alright?” was a greeting and I was supposed to respond back with “You alright?”. I wonder what neighbours thought when I said “fine thank you”. I hope they weren’t as judgemental as some of the posters on GN.

janeainsworth Fri 22-May-20 15:16:46

Sussexborn Hate to admit it but I am not the least bit bothered about how other people say things as long as they are pleasant and polite. ???

Eloethan Fri 22-May-20 17:27:16

I don't mind at all being called love, darling or even sweetheart but I don't like being addressed as dear. I know it's irrational but it comes across as patronising.

LullyDully Fri 22-May-20 19:05:13

from the get go what does that mean? Just heard it on the weather.grrrr

pollyperkins Sat 23-May-20 09:08:27

Eloethan - i was called ‘Me duck’ yesterday by a local delivery driver (it’s local dialect). Doesn't bother me at all. Or any of those you mention but agree that dear sounds patronising as if speaking to a little old lady. (Which I suppose I am but not very little!)

Diggingdoris Sat 23-May-20 11:00:14

Oh Pollyperkins you've just made me smile. My grandfather always called me 'me duck', and you brought back such happy memories of a dear man. He was from Lincolnshire so I'm guessing you are from a similar area.

Eloethan Sun 24-May-20 00:02:06

My (Londoner) graddad always called me and my Mum "ducks" and my Liverpudlian great aunt called me "chick".

Sussexborn Sun 24-May-20 03:14:53

Chick’s quite common here. One of the health visitors used to call everyone Blossom. She was hopeless with names!

Sussexborn Sun 24-May-20 03:17:10

Not bothered about Dear or Dearie unless it’s only aged at the older generation then it can be patronising.

sodapop Sun 24-May-20 08:48:34

'It is what it is ' what does that actually mean ?