Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Another one to go "grrr" about!

(148 Posts)
phoenix Fri 18-Sep-20 20:57:24

Evening all, usual good wishes.

Many of us have been annoyed by the misuse of "the proof is in the pudding" but twice today on the radio I've heard of someone being on " tender hooks"

It's tenter hooks!

And no, I don't have the faintest idea why!

b1zzle Sun 20-Sep-20 09:47:40

My all-time favourites have to be 'not necesscelery' and 'hydra-dangers'.

Americanpie Sun 20-Sep-20 09:53:44

I hate it when contestants on Count Down ask for a "continent" or a "constant".

lizzypopbottle Sun 20-Sep-20 09:57:55

Shortlegs Hey! I passed O level English Language (OK, over 50 years ago) but I still get caught out by autocorrect because I know I can spell and I know what I've typed! My fault is in forgetting to apply my teacher's rule before sending: Always read what you've written!

I'm currently in mourning for the terminal decline of the apostrphe.

Spangler Sun 20-Sep-20 10:00:46

As a child I often wondered what was meant by an escaped goat. My teacher always encouraged us to look up the meaning of words that we didn't understand, so the first time that I came across scapegoat, I discovered that it's a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency. But it's origins are Biblical, when the sins of the Jews were symbolically laid upon a goat and it was sent off into the wilderness. You live and learn.

Scottiebear Sun 20-Sep-20 10:02:17

I have a bugbear about the use of 'should of' rather than 'should have'.

lizzypopbottle Sun 20-Sep-20 10:10:39

When my sister was a toddler, Adam Faith's hit 'Poor Me' was in the top ten and often on the radio. I just looked up the lyrics because the words were mostly incomprehensible. The line goes, 'Sit and cry, that this was meant to be,' but my little sister heard and repeated, 'Sit and cry, assa sessa pee,' so we always sang that when the song came on. ?

Moggycuddler Sun 20-Sep-20 10:11:00

My mum used to say "San fairy Ann" when I was a kid. It was a long time before I realised why, or where it came from. :-)

Missfoodlove Sun 20-Sep-20 10:15:03

I had a cleaner whose daughter lived “ over a dellincontestant”
I did suggest she just referred to it as a deli

lizzypopbottle Sun 20-Sep-20 10:23:09

Spangler I love finding out about the origins of our idiomatic phrases and sayings. By coincidence, (ain't the internet grand?) I was looking at the Wikipedia entries for various occupations, just the other day and, while reading about fullers, the origin of tenterhooks came up. Auto correct substituted 'generations' there, Shortlegs, but I typed the word I wanted and applied my teacher's rule!

Rumpunch Sun 20-Sep-20 10:34:44

Scottiebear

I have a bugbear about the use of 'should of' rather than 'should have'.

Even worse is when the 'have' is changed to 'of'

Chardy Sun 20-Sep-20 10:40:24

The one that irritates me is when people say 'Spitting feathers' when they mean angry. Spitting feathers refers to being very thirsty. When you're very angry, you spit fire.

Chewbacca Sun 20-Sep-20 10:50:00

I spit tacks when I'm really cross!

yaiyai Sun 20-Sep-20 10:53:31

Oh that really ‘gets my goat’

yaiyai Sun 20-Sep-20 10:55:27

Sorry scottiebear my comment was for your ‘should of’

Georgesgran Sun 20-Sep-20 11:02:50

A friend refers to herself as a ‘Country Pumkin’ - I don’t have the heart to correct her!

fluttERBY123 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:05:12

People do things off their own bat, not back as some seem to think.

Azalea99 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:08:44

I used to shout at the television every time I heard “for free”. Then I realised I couldn’t change anything anyway so kept quiet. I give you this information for ............ nothing!

Aepgirl Sun 20-Sep-20 11:10:28

I regularly see on our local ‘buy and sell’ FaceBook page, Chester draws. Do people now know what a ‘chest of drawers’ is?

Perhaps you’re right Shortlegs.

kitschnkarma Sun 20-Sep-20 11:16:10

It's people saying "should of" or "would of" that get me. It's should've or should HAVE, grr

lizzypopbottle Sun 20-Sep-20 11:17:01

Oops! Typo! Apostrophe! Why is it that autocorrect regularly makes nonsense of my words but didn't correct my typo when I wrote 'apostrphe'?

pollyperkins Sun 20-Sep-20 11:31:10

Yes that happens to me too- I clearly type a word and check it’s correct , only to find it’s been changed before sending. Infuriating!
Of course I sometimes make typos too. It’s also much harder to write and put in apostrophes when writing on an iPhone as you have to keep changing the keyboard.

Chicklette Sun 20-Sep-20 11:31:38

Aepgirl I get that on our buy and sell sites as well. Another favourite is “shabby sheek” What has happened to people that they just don’t know the language they’re supposed to be speaking??

Dave Gorman did a really good programme on misunderstandings once. Really funny, I need to find it and watch it again. I’m such a grammar nazi that I can’t bear some of the things I see on social media.

Nannan2 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:41:40

Lucca,&BadGranma, love these!???

Nannan2 Sun 20-Sep-20 11:44:49

Yes, i agree with the 'should of/would of' complaints!?

MadeInYorkshire Sun 20-Sep-20 11:47:00

My daughter as a toddler once sat down outside M&S and said "I don't want to go in Marks and Spensives." It has been known as that ever since!

Chester drawers often comes up on Facebook, but my best one of course was the 'coughing'