Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

"Back in 'the eye of the storm' "

(34 Posts)
BradfordLass73 Tue 29-Dec-20 05:46:32

One would have thought a well educated man like Sir Simon Stevens, head of the NHS (he went to Balliol) would have known this expression means a quiet hiatus, a peaceful centre in the midst of a storm, not the raging chaos he went on to describe.

When a prominent person gets it so wrong and publicly, others copy them, as they have with "prodigal" which is now erroneously use to mean returning.

Don't these people have dictionaries?

grandMattie Tue 29-Dec-20 12:52:25

I've lived through a HUGE cyclone - the eye was deathly quiet and you could light a candle outside without a flicker of wind! It lasted over an hour, which is unusual. So, yes, the metaphoe is totally wrong...
A lot of people misuse metaphores and analogies - my most un-favourite is "The proof is in the pudding"!

grandMattie Tue 29-Dec-20 12:52:59

And why shouldn't we be pedantic?

Kamiso Tue 29-Dec-20 13:02:56

As long as your pedantry isn’t used to humiliate and correct others, you can be as pedantic as you like. Such an unpleasant trait but seemingly pedants lack self control when it comes to airing their ingrained sense of superiority.

grandMattie Tue 29-Dec-20 13:35:08

That may be your experience. I try very hard not to be “superior” knowing my good fortune at having an education. However, if I hear a child, I try to explain the proper use of whatever so they are not embarrassed and laughed at in later years!

Nannarose Tue 29-Dec-20 13:46:26

I agree with Calistemon - I thought he used it very deliberately, as a tribute to NHS staff (who are usually very calm)

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 14:18:53

It wasn't actually me who said it first but, yes, it is aot.

Callistemon Tue 29-Dec-20 14:19:04

Apt!

vampirequeen Tue 29-Dec-20 19:32:02

Could this be a Schrodinger's eye of the storm when you're both in and out of the storm at the same time grin