Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Clothing names

(82 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:31:40

I wish people would stop saying arms instead of sleeves! Drives me mad. Another thing that annoys me, my DIL calls every piece of clothing worn on the top half of the body a jumper. To me a jumper is something made of wool. Therefore, a top which is not made of wool doesn't qualify. Rant over smile

Baggs Sat 06-Mar-21 11:42:32

Re hanging clothes after the wash, my mum's rule was: tops by their bottoms and bottoms by their tops.

Lexisgranny Sat 06-Mar-21 11:56:28

Grandmajet I remember it as fitted into the waist, on a wide-ish elastic, with a zip, and sleeves that fastened with a wristband and a button.

Meryl Streep you are right! I think I was mixing it up with the clothes the Famous Five used to wear while drinking lashings of ginger pop. At least I got the Channel Isles connection.

Visgir1 Sat 06-Mar-21 12:27:06

Frocks all the way, in my area.
"slacks"? Good grief!!

BTW Windjammer that's something I have never come across before.

Amberone Sat 06-Mar-21 12:45:35

I once told a teenage niece that I liked her very smart trouser suit. She looked a bit bemused then told me "I don't wear trousers. These are from my new pant suit - the jacket is hanging on the chair. Only Grandad wears trousers."

eazybee Sat 06-Mar-21 12:52:45

When I was eleven I had a windcheater, think that is how you spell it, which is probably the same as windjammer, waterproof, elasticated at the waist and zipped up the front, nowadays an anorak.
Jerkin to me is sleeveless, like a body-warmer or gilet. Vests morphed into tank tops.
My father annoyed me when he referred to frocks, as in, why do you need another one or isn't that frock too short?
Anybody not Scottish wear trews?
Never sure what pedal-pushers were.

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 14:07:47

Pedal pushers were shortish trousers that narrowed towards the bottom, maybe they are so called because they are handy for cycling. No need for cycle clips.

Grannynannywanny Sat 06-Mar-21 14:20:14

I don’t understand why the fashion experts on tv refer to an item of clothing as a “piece”

lemongrove Sat 06-Mar-21 14:20:40

Plurals ( pre Norman Conquest) was ‘en’ not ‘es’ so shoes were shoen (a pair) and trousers are so called because they used to come in two pieces, which is why it’s a plural.Sleeves were always loosely attached and taken off, rather than being part of the whole garment.
How about...galoshes, mackintoshes, duffle coats ( with toggles) Guernseys, Jerseys,liberty bodices, anyone have any of these tucked away?

3nanny6 Sat 06-Mar-21 14:33:27

My brother before the lockdown called round for a visit.
I always feel pleased to see him. He is only 70 a bit older than me. He held out a bag to me saying I have bought you two pairs of slacks and two nice blouses. I thanked him and said lovely but did not tell him I spend most of my time wearing leggings and tops.

FarNorth Sat 06-Mar-21 14:41:49

Trousers does sound a bit like a baggy wrinkly garment, to me, but still a preferable word to pants - if you don't mean underwear.

Jaxjacky Sat 06-Mar-21 15:05:21

Trisha57 I say frock referring to myself because for me to wear anything other than jeans, leggings or shorts is a momentous occasion! I buy vest tops; sleeveless t shirts, and in the winter wear a jumper, occasionally a cardi.

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 15:10:53

lemongrove

Plurals ( pre Norman Conquest) was ‘en’ not ‘es’ so shoes were shoen (a pair) and trousers are so called because they used to come in two pieces, which is why it’s a plural.Sleeves were always loosely attached and taken off, rather than being part of the whole garment.
How about...galoshes, mackintoshes, duffle coats ( with toggles) Guernseys, Jerseys,liberty bodices, anyone have any of these tucked away?

? uh oh ....are plimsolls in the offing ?

Lucca Sat 06-Mar-21 15:11:50

I like trouser used as a verb. “ he trousered the fiver quick as a flash”.

Calendargirl Sat 06-Mar-21 15:12:15

What about pullovers?

Does anyone remember those stretchy slacks we wore when I was about 10 years old, they were a sort of man made material with a strap that went under your foot, mine was a stripy pattern. Elasticated waist I think.

Missfoodlove Sat 06-Mar-21 15:12:25

Trews!
I’ve just remembered my mother used to buy me hideous trousers with a piece of elastic at the bottom that looped around your foot.
She referred to them as trews. ????

Grannynannywanny Sat 06-Mar-21 15:22:22

I remember them well. I can still remember how uncomfortable they were after a growth spurt and while they remained looped under your feet the top end started to drag down.

welbeck Sat 06-Mar-21 15:38:53

i never heard of a piece of clothing described as a top when i was growing up.
to me a top is a child's spinning toy.
so that slightly annoys me, but it's no biggie

Baggs Sat 06-Mar-21 15:56:11

How about...galoshes, mackintoshes, duffle coats ( with toggles) Guernseys

I'm wearing a Guernsey (Gansey) right now. I've had it for 23 years.

Hiraeth Sat 06-Mar-21 16:05:10

I was brought up in Wales and we always said „ Bathers“ for swimming costume .And slacks were those with an elastic waist and elastic under my foot and when I started growing fast as a teenager they were too short in the waist !

grannylyn65 Sat 06-Mar-21 16:06:37

I had riding breeks

Lexisgranny Sat 06-Mar-21 16:28:15

The trews that you mention, I knew them as ski-pants, goodness knows why, I had been nowhere near a ski slope at that time, I wore them with my first anorak. ‘Trousered’ reminds me of the late Terry Wogan.

I think an honourable mention might be given to drindl skirts, sack dresses and pumps!

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 17:06:37

I called them ski-pants too, haven’t a clue why. I remember when plimsolls started to be called trainers. I was quite puzzled by that for a while - how do they train you?

Grannynannywanny Sat 06-Mar-21 17:12:14

When I was a child our plimsolls were called runners.

FarNorth Sat 06-Mar-21 17:12:18

Weren't they called ski pants because the elastic under the feet was to keep them in place, as you skied?

FarNorth Sat 06-Mar-21 17:13:28

I wondered if I just hadn't been noticing everyone talking about 'tops' which were clothing.
Seems not.