Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Clothing names

(81 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 06-Mar-21 08:31:40

I wish people would stop saying arms instead of sleeves! Drives me mad. Another thing that annoys me, my DIL calls every piece of clothing worn on the top half of the body a jumper. To me a jumper is something made of wool. Therefore, a top which is not made of wool doesn't qualify. Rant over smile

Casdon Sat 06-Mar-21 08:42:58

I agree with you on the sleeves/arms issue grannyrebel7, but to me a jumper is a knitted top, it doesn’t have to be wool, it can be cotton, or even acrylic if you can bear it.

Missfoodlove Sat 06-Mar-21 09:17:46

When I moved to Lancashire from Yorkshire I was baffled by pants!
In Lancashire these are trousers or jeans in Yorkshire pants are underwear.

lemongrove Sat 06-Mar-21 09:25:24

As long as you don’t wear your pants over your jeans Missfoodlove tha’ll be alreet!

lemongrove Sat 06-Mar-21 09:29:12

A jumper can be made of anything these days ( yes, in days of yore it was made of wool....a sheep, a woolly jumper.)
I may be guilty of saying arms instead of sleeves now and then ( so shoot me!)?
I also call clothes togs.

Baggs Sat 06-Mar-21 09:40:47

My youngest daughter once asked me irritably why I sometimes call trousers breeks (breeches/britches). Apparently I was the only person she ever heard calling them that.

I told her she should, in that case, be grateful to me for increasing her vocabulary and to look the word up. Note: this was a child who used to fall asleep while reading her Children's Oxford Dictionary.

Alexa Sat 06-Mar-21 09:44:07

Baggs, re breeks, let's try to keep alive the old languages!

Baggs Sat 06-Mar-21 09:48:14

alexa, yes! When I'm writing and there's a choice of words I often check (often one can guess) to see which is from Old English rather than of Latin/French derivation and I use the OE one.

Alexa Sat 06-Mar-21 09:53:23

Baggs, yes but some AS four letter words in the company of other purists only

Trisha57 Sat 06-Mar-21 09:58:52

Anyone here ever worn a frock?!

Missfoodlove Sat 06-Mar-21 10:01:39

Breeks are what shooters wear.
When I called a country clothing shop to ask if they sold them, they had never heard of them!

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 11:03:44

Where does a sweater fit in to all this? And a jersey?

BigBertha1 Sat 06-Mar-21 11:08:42

What I find silly in the clothing world is the people who call things by their singular form e.g. a shoe, a trouser. Trinny started it I'm sure.

BigBertha1 Sat 06-Mar-21 11:09:28

By the way is a sweater a jumper or someone who sweats?

grandMattie Sat 06-Mar-21 11:10:32

I remember suggesting to my DGD that she should wear her best frock for some occasion. She repeated “frock” with horror but had not a clue to the meaning.

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 11:14:17

Oh yes, BigBertha, she also refers to a ‘jean’!

BigBertha1 Sat 06-Mar-21 11:19:08

I say frock too.

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 11:20:38

Does Trinny refer to a pant, do you think?

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 11:21:37

As in, don’t wear your pant over your jean?

Lexisgranny Sat 06-Mar-21 11:24:34

Strange the connotations that arise from hearing various words. Jersey, conjures up a navy blue heavy knit with a crew neck, connected with boats. Frock, a pretty affair worn by a small slim young girl (not me, I was too tall!). Jumper, the garment you were urged to take with you in case ‘the weather turned’. Britches, the word my Grandad always used for riding gear. Pants are things that men wore, hated the word ‘panties’ always wore knickers. My mother always wore french knickers, which for some reason as a teenager I found faintly embarrassing!! Windjammers were a must, but my all time favourite was my other grandfather’s spats, which, even better I was told was short for spatterdashes!

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 11:27:12

You’re right, Lexisgranny, words do that, don’t they. Is a jerkin another name for a windjammer, or an anorak?

winterwhite Sat 06-Mar-21 11:27:32

I thought everything was called a top now to save time.. Maybe pants is going the same way, to avoid the thought going into distinguishing between knickers and trousers. ?

grandmajet Sat 06-Mar-21 11:34:29

Tops and bottoms?

MerylStreep Sat 06-Mar-21 11:40:23

Lexisgranny
The type your referring to is a Guernsey. I have 2. One navy and one Tan.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 06-Mar-21 11:41:08

I've noticed that vests are sometimes just called tops now perhaps to avoid them sounding too old fashioned. Well, I love to tuck a vest inside my pants.