Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Fine-tooth comb

(44 Posts)
Juliet27 Sun 18-Apr-21 08:54:17

Grr It’s not a fine tooth-comb. Do people really comb their teeth?!!

Grannynannywanny Sun 18-Apr-21 10:55:07

Polarbear2

For my six pennorth ? I’m increasingly seeing people use bare instead of bear. As in bear the weight of something. They put bare instead? Seen it several times recently

Twice in recent discussions about US gun laws I’ve seen reference to their right to bare arms

Cardigans are optional ?

RubyGran Sun 18-Apr-21 11:25:56

My current favourite irritant is the now common use of "the proof is in the pudding", as it makes no sense whatsoever. It would take only three more words to use the proper phrase!

NotSpaghetti Sun 18-Apr-21 12:00:37

Cardigans are optional
?
...this made me laugh!

Baggs Sun 18-Apr-21 12:37:27

I've been trying to say "fine-toothed comb" and I think I've found the answer to why people tend to say fine-tooth comb instead: the end of toothed and the beginning of comb do not sit well together and slip of the tongue. You have to take longer to say them than you do to say fine-tooth comb. I think that's why it tends to get shortened.

That's my theory any road and I'm sticking my comb to it.

Baggs Sun 18-Apr-21 12:38:17

Actually, I hardly ever use a comb, just a good brush. The comb's useful for cleaning the brush of loose hairs.

grandtanteJE65 Sun 18-Apr-21 13:34:01

I second fine-toothed comb, and I do have one. It is very useful for catching the fleas that survive in the cat's fur, by moving down to his bottom, as far away as possible from the flea deterrant!

NotSpaghetti Sun 18-Apr-21 14:17:26

I have a fine toothed comb too. It isn't a "nit comb" (which is finer still), but mine is definitely fine .

Juliet27 Sun 18-Apr-21 14:58:49

Baggs

Actually, I hardly ever use a comb, just a good brush. The comb's useful for cleaning the brush of loose hairs.

I was looking for a comb for that very reason but there doesn’t seem to be one anywhere in the house.

Elegran Sun 18-Apr-21 17:18:19

Use a skewer, Juliet

Nandalot Sun 18-Apr-21 17:26:03

I would use this phrase quite happily when talking about going into something in very fine detail.
dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/fine-tooth-comb
For the other use I’d probably say nit comb!

Buffybee Sun 18-Apr-21 17:50:22

It puts my teeth on edge when people say "can I get a coffee?", when ordering drinks.
My Granddaughters say it every time.

dustyangel Sun 18-Apr-21 18:11:31

How do you comb through your hair after washing it, if you don’t have a fine toothed comb?

Baggs Sun 18-Apr-21 18:19:11

dustyangel

How do you comb through your hair after washing it, if you don’t have a fine toothed comb?

We just did it on dry hair. Worked fine with the combs in the photo. They take the lice out, not the nits, which is why you have to do it twice a day for a couple of weeks.

Baggs Sun 18-Apr-21 18:21:09

Also, I use a brush on my hair after washing it, not a comb. You need one with stiff bristles.

Baggs Sun 18-Apr-21 18:24:10

I've always gone with a MasonPearson. My gran recommended them for long hair.

dustyangel Sun 18-Apr-21 18:30:03

Thanks Baggs, I think what I’m actually thinking of is an ordinary comb simply for stopping tangles but now I’m wondering if the dog we don’t own would let us get rid the tick on his chest with one of those.

dustyangel Sun 18-Apr-21 18:32:41

Doesn’t the brush damage wet hair and are we in danger of hi-jacking the thread? ?

Puzzled Tue 18-May-21 16:45:13

Important to be precise.
Witness the man, who asked to be castrated when he really wanted to be circumcised.
Maybe the request to "bare with me" came from an enthusiastic naturist?