Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Cadaver

(31 Posts)
Caleo Sat 14-Aug-21 15:20:48

I may be unusual in finding the word 'cadaver' grotesque when it is used to refer to the dead body of someone I knew in life.

I wanted to leave my dead body to science, but when they insisted on referring to me as a cadaver I felt offended.

Zoejory Sat 14-Aug-21 15:26:06

Yes, I think you might be unusual. Cadaver is the word commonly used.

A cadaver is a dead body, especially a dead human body. The word cadaver is sometimes used interchangeably with the word corpse, but cadaver is especially used in a scientific context to refer to a body that is the subject of scientific study or medical use, such as one that will be dissected.

No need to feel offended.

Caleo Sat 14-Aug-21 15:36:58

You see, Zoejory, I like to think that the students will give a thought to the member of the public who donated her dead body. When I am flayed I will still be me, sort of, and I like to think the students will be respectful towards my revealed muscles.

Death is slightly taboo. Words for dead bodies tend to be special to the occasion. 'Cadaver'is okay among scientists. However I am not a scientist but someone who wants to be some little use after death.

For instance an undertaker would call me "the deceased". I think if the undertaker called me "the cadaver" it would be thought disrespectful. I do believe the scientists might get more cadavers to work with if their public relations were more diplomatic.

Nell8 Sat 14-Aug-21 15:40:12

It could be worse. A very elderly gentleman friend went to his lady physiotherapist. He could be a bit cheeky in female company. I don't know what transpired between them but apparently she said "Get your carcass up on the couch"!

Zoejory Sat 14-Aug-21 15:47:28

HI Caleo, I can give you some reassuring words with regard to how your body is dealt with . My son and daughter in law have both been through this on their way to becoming doctors. Just after 3 weeks at university they were confronted with their body that they would work with for at least a year.

I did ask questions about how they and their peers were coping and I can assure you the level of respect you'd wish for is there. The bodies, (cadavers to the scientists) are treated very well and gratitude towards the donors is great.

My medical family members went to the local Cathedral for a memorial service for the families of the donors once that part of their learning was done.

Riverwalk Sat 14-Aug-21 15:47:47

I may be unusual in finding the word 'cadaver' grotesque when it is used to refer to the dead body of someone I knew in life.

I can't think of any situation where you know someone in life and refer to them as a cadaver e.g. family, friends, undertaker, etc.

The medical students will, with a bit of luck, not have known you in life - so you will be a cadaver.

Alegrias1 Sat 14-Aug-21 15:59:43

My medical family members went to the local Cathedral for a memorial service for the families of the donors once that part of their learning was done.

I find that very respectful Zoejory

BlueBelle Sat 14-Aug-21 16:07:05

You won’t know though will you what they call you

Caleo Sat 14-Aug-21 16:09:20

Thank you Zoejory your reply is specifically reassuring.

Riverwalk, I myself knew me in life, and I will be there as my lifeless body when I am dissected. I have a lot of respect for the lifeless physical world and that is where I am coming from.

Caleo Sat 14-Aug-21 16:13:45

"You won’t know though will you what they call you"

Absolutely not, BlueBelle. I live my life looking to the future and once I am dead I will be powerless .

SueDonim Sat 14-Aug-21 18:14:44

My dd has just qualified as a medic. She said they are extremely grateful to their body donors. The uni holds a service at the end of the two years (I think) that the bodies are used, to which relatives are also invited, if they wish. Some family do, some don’t. She said it was a very moving ceremony.

GrandmaRosie Fri 10-Sep-21 19:47:25

Zoejory

HI Caleo, I can give you some reassuring words with regard to how your body is dealt with . My son and daughter in law have both been through this on their way to becoming doctors. Just after 3 weeks at university they were confronted with their body that they would work with for at least a year.

I did ask questions about how they and their peers were coping and I can assure you the level of respect you'd wish for is there. The bodies, (cadavers to the scientists) are treated very well and gratitude towards the donors is great.

I can agree, my daughter was a medical student a long time ago and her ‘cadaver’ was one of the most important people in her training. They kept the same one for quite a while and whoever it was became part of that group.

Grammy666 Fri 19-Nov-21 20:47:38

Well we need to call a spade a spade ? I have left my body to science when I die as a thank you for the treatment I have had all my life on the NHS... I will be dead and I won't be concerned what I am called.

MerylStreep Fri 19-Nov-21 20:59:54

I donated my body some years ago. That is not me on that slab. Meryl went when my heart stopped beating.
Obviously I have no hang ups with dead bodies.

Shinamae Fri 19-Nov-21 21:01:23

Call me what you like, I’ll hardly be in a position to object..?

Grandma70s Fri 19-Nov-21 21:07:18

Both my parents did this, but for some reason only my father’s body was accepted.

HowVeryDareYou Fri 19-Nov-21 21:09:52

My husband and I have both signed up to leave our bodies to medical science. When I'm dead, I'll be unaware of what they are calling my remains grin.

Aveline Fri 19-Nov-21 21:49:10

Like many of us I have seen a close family member shortly after death. Somehow they had just gone. It wasn't them any more. It was a husk. Once I have died I'm not bothered about the body that I will have shed.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 20-Nov-21 06:53:58

Aveline

Like many of us I have seen a close family member shortly after death. Somehow they had just gone. It wasn't them any more. It was a husk. Once I have died I'm not bothered about the body that I will have shed.

Yes it is a tremendous thing to experience - a death of a sentient being.

It is true of humans and animals. Their life force is gone.

I was with mum as she died, and very much felt that.

But it has also been true of all the animals that I have been with at death.

I think life force is so strong. Difficult to explain really.

NfkDumpling Sat 20-Nov-21 07:44:38

I wanted to leave my body to science as I have this terrible fear of not being properly dead - but was told they didn't want it. They have so many people wanting to do the same as its cheap. Apparently.

MissAdventure Sat 20-Nov-21 07:47:06

I thought I would do it too, but don't want to end up all dressed up and no place to go, as it were.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 20-Nov-21 07:50:52

I suppose that you could always request that you are not cremated or buried until you start to smell ??

MissAdventure Sat 20-Nov-21 07:52:43

Do they tell you beforehand that they don't need your body, or can they decide once they've had a look at it?

nanna8 Sat 20-Nov-21 07:52:52

Was that necessary? Im just about to have tea...

MissAdventure Sat 20-Nov-21 07:53:35

grin