Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

What happened to the adjectives?

(16 Posts)
JackyB Tue 07-Sep-21 11:06:09

For a good while now, it has annoyed me that (among other things) the BBC never use the proper adjectives for countries. (The proper name for them escapes me for the moment).

At any given time on the front page of their News section, they use the name of the country instead.

Today's example:

"Long jail terms for key Belarus opposition pair"

"Appeal for women convicted of Cyprus gang rape lie"

Sorry rather morbid topics.

Actually, I was proved wrong in a way by looking now, as I found the words French, Irish, Danish and Finnish on today's front page.

But anywhere more exotic and they revert to the method a six-year-old would use. I invariably see "Belgium" instead of Belgian, "India" instead of Indian, Greece instead of Greek.

I seem to be alone in this, unless someone else has pointed it out and they have actually used the grown up terms Danish, French etc today as a first step.

Can anyone remember what the correct term is for these adjectives ("proper adjectives"? Like proper nouns) and does it bother anyone else?

Blossoming Tue 07-Sep-21 11:21:41

It doesn’t bother me, the meaning is clear.

As for the correct term, Danish is both an adjective, e.g. the Danish people, and a verb, e.g. the language.

Riverwalk Tue 07-Sep-21 11:35:36

To name the country is correct, certainly in the rape case - the alleged rapists were Israeli not Cypriot.

Chardy Tue 07-Sep-21 11:44:08

I think the days have gone, JackyB when we could look to BBC to encourage the use of good English. And much of this is read from an autocue, or in the case of radio, a computer, so someone is paid to write poorly!

dragonfly46 Tue 07-Sep-21 11:48:58

I am more upset that adverbs aren't used any more.
But as Blossoming said if you can understand it then it doesn't really matter.

Pammie1 Tue 07-Sep-21 11:59:57

The BBC’s use of English is appalling. The old red button news service was particularly bad - spelling mistakes everywhere and horrible grammar. But then it’s one of my pet hates - a few of my friends’ kids use text abbreviations when writing notes, and even in speech. I also hate what the Americans have done to the language - for example the word ‘normalcy’ instead of ‘normality’. Drives me mad. Er, sorry, a bit of a mini rant there !!

Baggs Tue 07-Sep-21 12:00:45

It doesn't bother me if the meaning is clear.

My mum always remarked when "the Spanish", which she thought lazy as well as incorrect, was used instead of Spaniards. I wonder what Spaniards think about it?

grandtanteJE65 Wed 08-Sep-21 13:46:51

Danish, Finish etc can either be adjectives if used to describe things, or nouns if used as the name of the language, but never verbs, but I have no doubt that was a slip of the pen, so to speak.

What is the adjectival form of Belarus? It doesn't surprise me no-one uses it, as I doubt we know whether it should be Belarusan, Belarusian,Belarusish, or what?

I hope there is a pedant reading this who knows the correct form and can enlighten my ignorance.

Blinko Wed 08-Sep-21 13:51:48

The modern usage of 'impact' and 'impacting'. This was always 'whatever it was...had an impact upon...something or other'. Nowadays it seems to be '...something or other was impacted by...whatever'. So impact has become a verb. I find it odd.

Petera Wed 08-Sep-21 13:55:53

grandtanteJE65

Danish, Finish etc can either be adjectives if used to describe things, or nouns if used as the name of the language, but never verbs, but I have no doubt that was a slip of the pen, so to speak.

What is the adjectival form of Belarus? It doesn't surprise me no-one uses it, as I doubt we know whether it should be Belarusan, Belarusian,Belarusish, or what?

I hope there is a pedant reading this who knows the correct form and can enlighten my ignorance.

Belarussian. It's related to 'White Russian'

welbeck Wed 08-Sep-21 13:57:54

i think there is some confusion of ideas here.
this very point was raised by a work colleague some 20 years ago.
he objected to a reporter speaking from Belfast, being described as, our Ireland correspondant.
he said it should be Irish.
i tried to explain that if it said Irish, it would mean he was Irish.
whereas the descriptor, Ireland, is because he reports on matters to do with Ireland.
it is a nice distinction, and i can see how it is confusing.
but think of the descriptor as pertaining to that which is being discussed, eg the entity, or island, or Ireland.
sorry, i know what i mean, but i can't explain it properly.
so i think those examples are not necessarily incorrect usage, but a move to a more precise usage.

MerylStreep Wed 08-Sep-21 13:58:27

I don’t usually get het up over such trivia but I wish someone would tell the news people that an Afghani is a currency not an Afghan person. They are Afghans.

Blossoming Wed 08-Sep-21 13:59:57

Sorry, just realised I typed ‘verb’ instead of ‘noun’. Mea maxima culpa grin

Puzzled Fri 10-Dec-21 21:48:40

Language is constantly evolving. I was born before the noun "sputnik" was prevalent, similarly "astronaut"
English, in particular has been evolving for centuries; if not millenia.
It is a polyglot language, containing at least, Latin, Scandinavian, French, and German roots,
And to REALLY cause upset, English seems to have become the Linga Franca of the world So is that Latin and French, or just French.
And how about English dialects?
Depending on where you are, an alley will be called a twitten.
A ewe a yow, and so on.
Adjectives are intended to describe nouns, adverbs do the same for verbs.
My bete noir? "Weaponise"

welbeck Fri 10-Dec-21 22:01:42

what about monetise.
is that a profitable range of merchandise, or merch, in the style of a french impressionist.

Sparklefizz Sat 11-Dec-21 08:30:32

And what about "medalling" instead of "won a medal", and "sumitting" instead of "reached the summit"? I hate them.