Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Ect., ect., ect.

(178 Posts)
Esspee Fri 31-Dec-21 12:56:16

If I see even one more ect. on Gransnet I am going to have to comment. I know that “as long as the meaning is clear” is the usual standard but ect. is like chalk screeching on a blackboard to me.
Does it drive you crazy or is it just me?

Galaxy Fri 31-Dec-21 12:57:13

Ooh I have just used it grin

MissAdventure Fri 31-Dec-21 12:58:17

I thought it was etc? Etcetera.

Alegrias1 Fri 31-Dec-21 13:02:00

Oh I'm with you on that Esspee! But I'm a well known pedant. smile

When I see it I just want to shout Ect? Ect? What does that mean?!?!?

Urmstongran Fri 31-Dec-21 13:02:06

Drives me nuts but I try not to be bothered. I know we are not allowed to pass comment so I don’t. One poster keeps spelling ‘shielding’ wrong and she uses the word a lot. Others say ‘here here’ when agreeing with another poster on a thread. In the big sea I don’t suppose it matters but I do notice them!

Septimia Fri 31-Dec-21 13:02:43

Agreed MissA - et cetera, Latin for 'and the rest', abbreviated to etc., not ect.

Esspee Fri 31-Dec-21 13:03:24

Yes MissAdventure it most certainly is. That’s why it is soooo infuriating.

MissAdventure Fri 31-Dec-21 13:04:06

Oh, I'm a few steps behind everyone in my thinking today and every other day

Witzend Fri 31-Dec-21 13:04:48

If you mean the wrong spelling - ect instead of etc. then I agree with knobs on.

Esspee Fri 31-Dec-21 13:05:41

I am also in a rage when I see comments about the boarders between e.g. England and Wales.
Anyone else?

Mamardoit Fri 31-Dec-21 13:05:49

I always notice it. I did latin at school but lots didn't and it is probably an easy mistake to make. My spelling isn't great and I hope others don't judge me because of that.

aquagran Fri 31-Dec-21 13:06:33

I agree. But, having read through these posts, I cannot help but think “People in glass houses should not throw stones!”

Calistemon Fri 31-Dec-21 13:08:09

Alegrias1

Oh I'm with you on that Esspee! But I'm a well known pedant. smile

When I see it I just want to shout ^Ect? Ect? What does that mean?!?!?^

Oh come now - you all know perfectly well what it means!

Ec Tetera
Latin for “spell check”

Witzend Fri 31-Dec-21 13:08:33

Well, while we’re at it, Kier Starmer instead of Keir, drives me bonkers.

And far too many others to go into here.

GagaJo Fri 31-Dec-21 13:08:49

Does my head in. My students use it when they know they should give more examples but can't think of them. Grrrr. Just use a full-stop.

Alegrias1 Fri 31-Dec-21 13:10:40

I do agree that we shouldn't correct others spelling when we don't know anything abut them. But "boarders" for instance, is a real word that means something so it won't be picked up by a spell checker. So it could slip through.

But ect? Its a spelling mistake too far smile Its even being highlighted for me in this post as being misspelt! But then I never know where to put the apostrophe in "its"....

Mapleleaf Fri 31-Dec-21 13:15:14

It irritates me, too. My niece uses it all the time in her texts. The former teacher in me is longing to correct her, but I hold back - I don’t think a 40+ year old would appreciate the correction. ?

MissAdventure Fri 31-Dec-21 13:16:40

I do notice bits and bobs, but I don't care too much.
I also make some awful mistakes, and someone here asked if I was being ironic?
I had to explain that I really didn't know the correct word. Brought/bought. (I do now)

EllanVannin Fri 31-Dec-21 13:20:36

It's annoying, isn't it ? grin as are all spelling mistakes to me, but I let it pass now. Life's too short.

I see singular and plural mistakes on a regular basis, even in the press !

MissAdventure Fri 31-Dec-21 13:22:29

I hark back to a text recieved from g son's school.

"If your child has brung home the wrong coat...."

Oldnproud Fri 31-Dec-21 13:22:50

Alegrias1

I do agree that we shouldn't correct others spelling when we don't know anything abut them. But "boarders" for instance, is a real word that means something so it won't be picked up by a spell checker. So it could slip through.

But ect? Its a spelling mistake too far smile Its even being highlighted for me in this post as being misspelt! But then I never know where to put the apostrophe in "its"....

Where to put the apostrophe in its is easy, Alegrias: Put it where the missing letters would have gone if you had written the full version of it is or it has. In other words, between the 't' and the 's': It's

If you are not writing an abbreviation of one of those (as in the possessive its, nothing is missing so do not add an apostrophe!

Mamardoit Fri 31-Dec-21 13:23:41

We're a wonderful mix of posters on GN. It's great to hear different views. I'm more interested in the views than spelling and sentence formation.

I'm less tolerant of those ever so clever types on Sky and the Beeb who say 'amount' of people etc.. No it's number of people. Amount is when we talk about bull s**t, ie. the size of the pile.

Witzend Fri 31-Dec-21 13:24:14

Esspee

I am also in a rage when I see comments about the boarders between e.g. England and Wales.
Anyone else?

That’s an estate agent favourite - they often love ‘flower boarders’, along with shower cubicals, etc.

MaizieD Fri 31-Dec-21 13:24:42

But then I never know where to put the apostrophe in "its

I could tell you, if you like, Alegrias? grin

In fact, I will, but you're welcome to ignore it.

'Its', no apostrophe is a possessive pronoun, like his, hers and theirs. 'It's', with apostrophe, is a contraction of 'it is'. Apostrophe indicates the missing 'i'

It's a nightmare to teach and bl88dy autocorrect doesn't help...

MissAdventure Fri 31-Dec-21 13:26:28

I know a fair bit about apostrophe use, but sometimes I leave them out.
Just because I can.