Pedants' corner

I done me best, but...

(104 Posts)
AussieGran59 Tue 29-Mar-22 03:40:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Elizabeth27 Tue 29-Mar-22 16:23:45

Well said BlueBelle.

ixion Tue 29-Mar-22 17:48:57

In a similar vein, we have this one, Witzend?

Callistemon21 Tue 29-Mar-22 17:52:18

Aldom

Oh! and Morning coffee is always referred to as Morning tea. That term harks back to Victorian times.

I've not heard of a roast dinner referred to as baked tea but certainly there are baked dinner recipes.

Morning tea - yes.
Even though everyone might drink coffee.

HowVeryDareYou Tue 29-Mar-22 18:02:14

A friend of mine recently said that her GS had to be "chEperoned" somewhere and then texted me that her mum had got gorlstones. I said nothing

BlueBelle Tue 29-Mar-22 18:07:37

And in Ireland a drizzle is ‘dry rain’ I loooove that and a cupboard is a press suuuure and evening starts around 2 o’clock
We re all different don’t be so intolerant

crazyH Tue 29-Mar-22 18:17:17

Aussie Gran, you have married into a lovely family, even though your DH was in the dummies class. Btw does he know you’ve posted this about him? Bet not…….you’ll be on the next flight to Aussieland ??

sodapop Tue 29-Mar-22 20:44:17

We call it a 'gravy dinner ' as well Coastpath

KaKi Wed 30-Mar-22 11:38:29

Never give up hoping ! Our autistic grandson never said a word until he was helped by a wonderful special needs school. Words started then but he still has a long way to go - does not feed himself and is not toilet trained yet at nearly six years.

KaKi Wed 30-Mar-22 11:41:17

Sorry that was to ShazzaKannasa - first post here and I tried to reply to her direct. I need to learn how to copy and post here!

Alioop Wed 30-Mar-22 11:45:20

I think my Northern Ireland accent would probably drive you potty...smile

TwiceAsNice Wed 30-Mar-22 11:50:12

You should live in Wales. You can buy a book on “Wenglish” which is how the Welsh phrase things. Probably hilarious if you’re not Welsh but perfectly understandable to us.

I’m more interested in what people have to say, than how they say it. I think my grammar is fine ,and I get irritated in my head about similar words being spoken/written in the wrong context but I’d never correct someone, that’s just rude!

jaylucy Wed 30-Mar-22 11:55:36

Once again, nobody is perfect and who are we to criticise how someone speaks just because your family or teacher or someone else in authority has told you that we must speak in a certain way ? Who is to say that even they are correct ?

Keffie12 Wed 30-Mar-22 11:58:47

AussieGran59

I wish I wasn't such a pedant. I have a wonderful dh but his family's grammar and misuse of words sets my teeth on edge.
"I done me washing"
"I haven't done nothing"
A roast dinner is called a baked tea, lasagne is 'lassarge', hydrangeas are hydarange...you get the idea.
My dh has a speech impediment and was apparently thrown into the "dummies" class at school, so I can understand, to a certain extent, his problems with words. He has not changed and I stopped trying to correct him as it did no good at all.
He is an intelligent, loving person so I don't mind.
But why do some families speak in this way? Why can't some people speak their own language correctly? I am certainly not perfect, but at least I seem to remember what I was taught in school. I done me best.

It's a disability. He can't just change it

Quizzer Wed 30-Mar-22 11:59:44

I recently posted about poor grammar and was shot down by some gransnetters. Local dialects are fine, but I agree with Aussiegran that some grammatical errors just grate.
My worst irritation is ‘you was’ or ‘we was’. I even argued with a boss who asked me to proof read a report because he said it was correct, aaargh!

GraceQuirrel Wed 30-Mar-22 11:59:59

Chewbacca

You sound a peach hmm

smilesmilesmile

She still married him!!!

Aldom Wed 30-Mar-22 12:04:46

Alioop

I think my Northern Ireland accent would probably drive you potty...smile

I absolutely love a Northern Ireland accent! smile

Spice101 Wed 30-Mar-22 12:09:53

Aldom

volver

"A baked tea"???

I think someone is having someone else on. hmm

Why do you suggest that we are being 'had on' as you put it?
I have family in Australia so I know that a roast meal is referred to as a baked meal. Nothing deceptive about the term.

I'm Australian and it has always been a roast to everyone I know. Referring to it as a baked dinner would IMO be very rare.

Nannina Wed 30-Mar-22 12:09:55

We’ve got a Home Secretary who can’t seem to pronounce the ‘g’ and talks about ‘stoppin and reportin’.

sandelf Wed 30-Mar-22 12:11:45

Difficult for you as you love the blighter! (smile) I grew up in Liverpool and you know their stereotype in the media. So I generally let people get to know me before disclosing my home city. I can do this because I was helped to speak RP as a child. I CAN speak with an accent but generally don't as it avoids discrimination! People can't help judging by accent and grammar so I think it is good to be able to speak clear RP to avoid that.

christine96777 Wed 30-Mar-22 12:12:04

I am Scottish and we have 4 official languages, which ever one I choice to use annunciation has always been the key. I have lived in England for over 40 years, for the North to the south and now the Midlands, and there are some beautiful dialects, small communities still using old English words and phrases, even families with their own dialect and turn of phrase, and it's all the correct use of language, as there has never been one way to speak English, long my they survive and prosper

Buttonjugs Wed 30-Mar-22 12:20:41

KaKi

Never give up hoping ! Our autistic grandson never said a word until he was helped by a wonderful special needs school. Words started then but he still has a long way to go - does not feed himself and is not toilet trained yet at nearly six years.

How lovely! My son is autistic and now 30, he had language delay but now has a bigger vocabulary than most other people, including me. He wasn’t fully toilet trained until he turned nine though!

polnan Wed 30-Mar-22 12:21:54

what "gets" me is ... "two" instead of my upbringing it was "twice"

and now.. I was always taught to put the other person first

you and me,, is now me and you! even on the BBC! (posh accent instead of my Brummie accent)

ShazzaKanazza Wed 30-Mar-22 12:35:46

Thankyou KaKi and Buttonjugs that’s very reassuring to hear. Every single new word he says makes us so happy. I have dreams where I’m having a full conversation with him.

cc Wed 30-Mar-22 12:37:06

My adopted GD says "go toilet" amongst other phrases. Not her fault and we do hope she will pick up better phrases in time.

It's hard to change the habits of a lifetime though, so maybe the OP is right to ignore it.
The one I hate is "nucular" for "nuclear" it's said as it's written.

Sharina Wed 30-Mar-22 12:38:05

I like “proper” grammar. I think the English language is beautiful. My husband speaks “Mancurian” but I quite like it. It’s not the accent or the cute expressions that bother me, though. I just hate lazy speech. I remember one woman saying to me “I’m common and proud of it”. Right …. My lack of education means I often mispronounce words or get better the meanings wrong. But I strive!