Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Christmas cards.

(23 Posts)
Georgesgran Sun 20-Nov-22 10:52:58

When DH was alive, I/we continued to send/exchange cards to some of his old work colleagues and business acquaintances, even though he’d been retired 15+years and didn’t really keep in touch with many of them otherwise. Some I’d met briefly, some were just names to me. A number of cards also went to his sporting chums/contacts throughout the Country, again, some I’d met, but many I only knew by name or spoke to when answering the phone.
DH died last year, during lockdown, so I sent Christmas cards to the usual list, including a note about his death and subsequent funeral, where only 15 mourners had been permitted.
This year I’m really considering dropping these cards. It’s not a question of cost which doesn’t really enter into things, but my head tells me it’s silly to keep sending cards all over the Country to people I barely know.

I’d welcome some thoughts.

Georgesgran Sun 20-Nov-22 10:54:26

Don’t know how I’ve put this under pedants. Hope I get some replies.

Calendargirl Sun 20-Nov-22 11:07:12

I think if it were me, I would knock it on the head. If they were DH’s colleagues and you hardly knew them, not much point.

They will probably be relieved as well.

aggie Sun 20-Nov-22 11:08:44

Yes , you sent relevant information last year , no need to send them cards from now on
I culled my list , got one anxious phone call , but never got any other indication that the cards were missed

Witzend Sun 20-Nov-22 11:13:05

If you hardly knew them, I’d certainly give it a miss.

The year after my mother died (she’d had dementia for ages so I’d been writing her cards anyway) I sent a final one to her few remaining far-flung friends who I never saw anyway, telling them she was gone, but that was it.

Georgesgran Sun 20-Nov-22 11:13:21

I think you’re just confirming my own thoughts. As it is, I only display the cards I receive from my DDS and close friends - the rest stay in a pile on my desk.

Cabbie21 Sun 20-Nov-22 11:13:25

I agree that you should not feel obliged to continue with this, unless you know them personally and choose to continue.. It will not be expected of you.

Georgesgran Sun 20-Nov-22 11:14:23

I suppose my ‘fear’ is that I’ll get cards from them this year, so do I reciprocate?

teabagwoman Sun 20-Nov-22 11:15:29

I think I would hedge my bets. Not send any to the people I don’t know but keep some cards in reserve so that if anyone has gone to obvious trouble to send me one I can send one back.

Yammy Sun 20-Nov-22 11:16:19

If it were me I would stop. I would find it upsetting and suspect you might too, remembering all the old friends. Last year we found we had been sending a card and flowers to an old relative who had been dead for two years, but her family hadn't bothered to inform us.
This year I am writing cards with just greetings in them and will post them to people who send us one, and tick in the address book who we have received them from.
Most people are cutting back this year and with the cost of cards and stamps, is it really needed to wish someone you knew 40 years ago good wishes? I think a lot of people feel the same.
Cut back and don't give it another thought or upset yourself.

Calendargirl Sun 20-Nov-22 11:17:43

Georgesgran

I suppose my ‘fear’ is that I’ll get cards from them this year, so do I reciprocate?

No. Cut the cord.

Purplepixie Sun 20-Nov-22 11:17:56

Do what you feel the most comfortable with. Personally I would just stop all of those cards now.

Aldom Sun 20-Nov-22 11:24:15

I agree with others. I stopped sending to my late husband's friends apart from two, who remain friends with me. Also stopped sending to his extended family, scattered around the world. I had not met the majority of them.
I accidentally missed sending to one of my own friends last year. She's in her nineties. About February I received a letter from her. She had met a mutual friend who did receive a Christmas card from me! I was sharply reprimanded for leaving her out! Better make certain that hers is the first card I post this year. grin

Beechnut Sun 20-Nov-22 11:43:25

Georgesgran I agree with aggies first sentence. There is only two of DH colleagues I send to and that’s because they became friends.
I’ve read on another thread of your Christmas plans and hope you have a wonderful time 🎄🏙

MawtheMerrier Sun 20-Nov-22 11:48:04

I agree -being in a similar boat- although I still send cards to 2 work colleagues DH kept in sort of touch with- just out of courtesy really.

Blondiescot Sun 20-Nov-22 11:59:11

I've drastically cut back on the number of cards I send now, especially given the cost of postage. I don't see the point in sending cards to anyone I haven't seen for years and who never get in touch at any other time of the year.

Kim19 Sun 20-Nov-22 12:00:55

I would remove them from my list immediately. I'm beginning to find C cards a chore and will do yet another cull. Pending P.O. strike has helped with this decision.

dragonfly46 Sun 20-Nov-22 12:06:23

I would just take them off my list.
If you return to those who send you a card you will be doing this for ever.
I am sure as they know you are now on your own they will understand.

Ziplok Sun 20-Nov-22 12:14:43

I agree with other posters. Don’t send any this year. As you say, the majority of them you don’t know and have never met, and others you’ve only met briefly in the past.

LOUISA1523 Sun 20-Nov-22 12:22:22

I don't send any cards...except a nice one to my Mum who's 86.. I stopped about 10 years ago.....I never put cards up either apart from the one I get from my Mum 😁.... I certainly wouldn't be sending them to your DHs excolleagues and friends.....time to ring the changes

sodapop Sun 20-Nov-22 12:27:44

I agree with Calendargirl cut the cord now, no need to reciprocate even of they send you a card.
I hope you have a peaceful Christmas George'sgran

grandtanteJE65 Sun 20-Nov-22 12:38:18

I would stop too, especially as you didn't mention that any of them wrote back to send their condolences!

If they didn't, they certainly deserve to be dropped.

May I add, that I was sorry to hear that you have lost your husband?

Alioop Sun 20-Nov-22 13:19:09

You don't hear from them the rest of the year so I wouldn't bother sending them cards. I only do close family and friends nowadays, the price of stamps is ridiculous.