Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Xmas to New year - limbo time?

(42 Posts)
Margs Fri 30-Dec-22 04:10:07

These few days lull between the two celebrations is odd-ish,IMHO.

Not enough time to implement anyhing worthwhile and yet I'm currently lolling around like a spare banana thinking over and over "Well?"

Why on earth are these two holidays so darn close together?

AussieGran59 Fri 30-Dec-22 04:38:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Kim19 Fri 30-Dec-22 05:44:07

I rather enjoy it. A lovely space to mentally relive the joys of my family experience at the weekend whilst building up to the forthcoming excitement of what a new year may bring.

Ailidh Fri 30-Dec-22 06:16:48

I enjoy the limbo week between Christmas and New Year. The stress of the run up to Christmas (fairly mild in my case) is past, and it feels as though there's no point starting anything major until the new year has dawned, so it feels like a legitimized week of dossing around. Bliss.

The only thing I have started is my diet, on the 28th. My stress response to moving across the country, from living alone to living amongst 50 others in a supported but it independent living flat has meant I've put on 50 lbs in a year. It's my aim to Lose 50lbs this year.

Allsorts Fri 30-Dec-22 06:35:10

Ailidth Are you happy you made the move? Well done for starting your healthy eating so soon.
I find the lull between Christmas and New Year is when I start turning out cupboards and getting rid of things. I’ve quite a bit now for the charity shops.

Ohmother Fri 30-Dec-22 06:42:23

Me too Allsorts. (Good name for what you do btw 😁)

I’ve got my shopping receipts to sort and my home file to have a good re-label.

MrsKen33 Fri 30-Dec-22 07:05:34

I love this time. Nowhere to go, nothing important to do. Just rest and look forward to signs of spring .

Shoshana Fri 30-Dec-22 07:34:48

I love this time too! It feels like a bit of an escape before life gets back to normal again.

Margs Fri 30-Dec-22 07:45:45

Maybe I should make more conscious effort to utilise these spare days but somehow an unstoppable Bank Holiday inertia creeps up with a vengeance.

It's an immoveable paralysis for sure.

BlueBelle Fri 30-Dec-22 07:50:23

There are many many people who don’t have these peaks and troughs if you are alone (many many are) or don’t have a massive surge of entertainment on these two dates there is no trough

I m happy just looking forward to Spring and knowing half the winter is behind me Lucky you marge if you have high celebrations to come down from and look forward to 😀

M0nica Fri 30-Dec-22 08:48:42

Nothing 'limbo' about this week for me. I always have one or both children and DS's family wth me for the whole week, so it busy, bustly and full of walks, visits and doing things. Yesterday we visited a donkey sanctuary, where someone adopted a donkey on behalf of DGS as a Christmas present, in the evening we went to a pantomime. Today is a blessed quiet day as they are all off to a local historic city to walk round the university for DGD to consider whether she would like to apply for a place there.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 30-Dec-22 17:08:21

I think this is on the wrong thread!

Although being a pedant I would have preferred you to call the days between Christmas and the New Year a liminal phase, rather then drag limbo into the discussion.

To historians of religion a liminal phase is the time between any major or minor transition, but it could be applied to the days between two ritual dates in the calendar.

Limbo on the other hand was a designation for the place where the unbaptised souls of children of baptised Christains went, if the children died unbaptised.

"Was" used advisedly, as the Catholic church no longer teaches that the souls of children who die unbaptised are kept out of Heaven.

Ailidh Fri 30-Dec-22 17:34:16

Allsorts

Ailidth Are you happy you made the move? Well done for starting your healthy eating so soon.
I find the lull between Christmas and New Year is when I start turning out cupboards and getting rid of things. I’ve quite a bit now for the charity shops.

Very happy! Great, coastal location; a front door that closes and locks but I can open it and meet up with others if I want to, there's a common room; as a singleton with no children and a very small circle of close friends, I really value the fact that there's support around when I need it.
Unfortunately for my health, eating is my response to all change!!

henetha Fri 30-Dec-22 17:56:01

I quite like this Christmas - new year limbo time. The pressure is off and there are plenty of left overs to eat.
I feel relaxed before new year pressures start building up.

cornergran Fri 30-Dec-22 18:20:29

It’s a preparation time for me. A clearing up and clearing out time. We don’t celebrate NYE so this is a gentle time without pressure, just making plans for January onwards.

Hetty58 Fri 30-Dec-22 18:25:34

It is a strange week, still a very useful pause between family gatherings and parties. It's nice to have a few fairly normal days to recharge my batteries.

Wyllow3 Fri 30-Dec-22 20:18:29

Difficult time if you rely on people/agencies/medical who necessarily and deservedly are having holidays.

Good to review last year and decide what you want out of 2023 unless you or family have difficult health times ahead.

I'm enjoying some of the "looking back on 2022" political satire .........what a year.....

A rest before full on decorator starting next Tuesday! I rarely wish time away but wouldn't mind fast forwarding just one week and the result.

Oreo Fri 30-Dec-22 21:02:37

Shoshana

I love this time too! It feels like a bit of an escape before life gets back to normal again.

Just what I think too😆
Slobbing around with no pressures.

Margs Sat 31-Dec-22 06:06:39

My God grandtanteJ56: that WAS without doubt pedantic on an Olympic scale!

Any suitable biblical quotes to go with it?

nanna8 Sat 31-Dec-22 06:21:26

“Go to this people and say,
“You will be a ver hearing but never understanding;
you will be ever seeing nut never perceiving.”
Acts 28 v26

nanna8 Sat 31-Dec-22 06:22:12

a ver= ever
nut= but

eazybee Sat 31-Dec-22 10:06:07

I have heard this period, around the winter solstice, (December 21st ?) referred to as Halcyon Days, a period of calm weather lasting about fourteen days.
Doesn't seem applicable at the moment, weather wise anyway.

Witzend Sat 31-Dec-22 10:12:23

Not quite the same since we retired, but always loved this week - dh always had to take it as leave, so even when I was working PT a lovely chilled time, nice walks, eating up leftovers, no shopping, minimal cooking, lots of Christmas chocolates still to eat - what’s not to like?
And all the cheerful decorations still up - I’ve never been one of those who ‘can’t wait to take them down and have a good clean!’
Maybe that could go on my gravestone - ‘She was never dying to have a good clean!’

biglouis Sat 31-Dec-22 10:17:15

I hate this time of year because if anything goes wrong its so bloody difficult to get trades. And if you have an emergency they charge a fortune.

My heating system sprung a leak just before christmas. Plumber attended and removed part of the (underneath) kitchen ceiling but was unable to get to it from that side. He is going to have to remove the bath and possibly part of the bathroom floor to get at it. Its a bit 2 day/2 person job which he cant do til next wednesday. Ok not an emergency but its pretty depressing to have a steady drip and a bucket on the floor just in the food preparation/cooker/sink area. Gpood job I was not planning to host!

biglouis Sat 31-Dec-22 10:18:04

bit = big