Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Notoriously infamous

(48 Posts)
Elegran Thu 09-Feb-23 18:12:38

I keep seeing "infamous" used as though it means famously admirable, instead of meaning notoriously NOT admirable, and universally considered horrible to the point of criminality. When did the meaning get reversed? It isn't even the same as using "wicked" to mean excellent - that was obviously teenage slang, but this is people who are seriously using it to describe good things.

Elegran Thu 09-Feb-23 18:14:31

For example - www.pupperish.com/parents-went-viral?utm_source=ilovecats2022&utm_medium=friendshipwithanimals&utm_campaign=7233&tid=de6d63b8-0bfa-46e1-82b7-ba0921b4fdce&utm_content=ill-freestar

GrammyGrammy Thu 09-Feb-23 18:18:25

This was prophesied in the bible thousands of years ago. That in the last days people would call good wicked and wicked good. It's exactly what the kids do. Isaiah 5:20-Woe to those who call evil (wicked) good and good evil(wicked), who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

Elegran Thu 09-Feb-23 18:39:45

I don't think the ones I have seen were being wickedly blasphemous, just ignorant.

I've just seen another daft and ignorant thing on FB - "Book a romantic getaway for you and your valentines this year . . " How many valentines can we book into a hotel room for a romantic getaway before it becomes a brothel? Before someone tells me that "Valentines" is an Americanism for St Valentine's day, I must add that this was an post from a BRITISH hotel, and here your valentine is a person..

fancythat Thu 09-Feb-23 19:53:34

The meanings of words forever change.
We think meanings and spellings are set in stone but they are not.

I gave up bothering with such things when I saw maps of the county I live in, circa mid 1700s? So many of the spellings of places had changed. The majority of them.

welbeck Thu 09-Feb-23 20:45:29

i find the word notorious is used with gay abandon, to mean famous or notable, rather of ill-repute.
another thing; where has the wash-basin or wash hand basin gone ?
i still have and use one but so many people now seem to have "sinks"in their bathroom or w.c., rather than confining it to the kitchen or utility room.

welbeck Thu 09-Feb-23 20:47:58

likewise, the ground beneath my feet is disappearing, converted by so many into an indoor floored area.

Mancjules Thu 09-Feb-23 21:24:35

Up north we have always had sinks! wink

welbeck Thu 09-Feb-23 21:28:31

what, in the bathroom ??

Grandma70s Thu 09-Feb-23 21:52:15

Mancjules

Up north we have always had sinks! wink

Not in the bathroom in my north! The bathroom has a wash basin.

Oreo Thu 09-Feb-23 21:56:40

There are sinks in the South too, in fact I always say it🤭
Are you sure you should say gay abandon welbeck😆

Elegran Thu 09-Feb-23 22:02:42

fancythat

I gave up bothering with such things when I saw maps of the county I live in, circa mid 1700s? So many of the spellings of places had changed. The majority of them.

So if I say that a meal is disgusting does that mean that it was really enjoyable and I loved it? If I tell someone she looks like a cheap whore in a certain dress does it mean that I am complimenting her on her elegant and attractive choice? If I call my children S**tA**e and C**tFace can I expect the teacher to use those names in class?

Being too ignorant to realise that you are using a word to convey its complete opposite meaning is not just "the meaning of a word naturally shifting its meaning with time." It is throwing meaning into the wheeliebin and then complaining when those hearing you misunderstand what you are saying and treat you as though you are stupid. No, people hearing the wrong meaning being implied KNOW that the person who thinks that meaning is correct is stupid.

welbeck Thu 09-Feb-23 22:09:03

of course there are sinks in the south, as in the north, and they stay in their own quarters, downstairs, in the kitchen, scullery or utility room.
also cleaner's sinks for filling buckets etc in schools, hosps, offices, large buildings.
it is the reduction in vocabulary that i object to; there are both sinks and basins; both the ground and a floor, and they are different entities.
i've been watching pillows and cushions too, in case they shift around.

Oreo Thu 09-Feb-23 22:22:14

You’re posher than me then welbeck

Oreo Thu 09-Feb-23 22:23:44

Too late!
My DGS already calls his pillow a cushion.😄

HousePlantQueen Thu 09-Feb-23 22:31:29

Oreo

Too late!
My DGS already calls his pillow a cushion.😄

Nooooo! A pillow is on a bed, a cushion is on a sofa, unless you are poorly and bring a bed pillow through to doze on the sofa. A kitchen has a sink, a bathroom a hand basin.

Oreo Thu 09-Feb-23 22:33:51

He’s only 4😃

Abitbarmy Thu 09-Feb-23 22:41:03

My 4yr old DGd calls pillows cushions too Oreo!

Charleygirl5 Thu 09-Feb-23 22:46:13

I agree, my kitchen has a sink but my bathroom has a wash hand basin as does my downstairs loo.

I do not have a lounge, I have a living room.

Something creeping in which really irritates me is somebody is i'll. No, you are ill.

Oreo Thu 09-Feb-23 22:47:23

😁Abitbarmy I bet loads of young kids do the same, after all it’s a similar object.Nobody need worry, doubt they’ll be still doing it at 16.

Oreo Thu 09-Feb-23 22:48:52

I dislike anything creeping in Charleygirl5 🤪

welbeck Thu 09-Feb-23 22:55:38

well, no wonder young children are confused, if their elders and betters don't keep the sinks and basins apart.
do not let any children fall on the floor if they are in the park or street.
only let them fall on the ground.
so that they will grow up properly.
i'm glad these bad habits have not reached your corner of outer London/ Middx, Charleygirl5.

choughdancer Thu 09-Feb-23 23:03:32

Welbeck I agree with you. My basins are in the bathrooms and my sink is in the kitchen.

HousePlantQueen Thu 09-Feb-23 23:15:03

Oreo

He’s only 4😃

Plenty of time to set him right then ! smilegrin

fancythat Fri 10-Feb-23 07:13:04

Elegran

fancythat

So if I say that a meal is disgusting does that mean that it was really enjoyable and I loved it? If I tell someone she looks like a cheap whore in a certain dress does it mean that I am complimenting her on her elegant and attractive choice? If I call my children S**tA**e and C**tFace can I expect the teacher to use those names in class?

Being too ignorant to realise that you are using a word to convey its complete opposite meaning is not just "the meaning of a word naturally shifting its meaning with time." It is throwing meaning into the wheeliebin and then complaining when those hearing you misunderstand what you are saying and treat you as though you are stupid. No, people hearing the wrong meaning being implied KNOW that the person who thinks that meaning is correct is stupid.

You are saying people are ignorant and stupid.

I say that young people in particular, choose to use a word in a different way.

Like saying something is "sick".
And numerous other examples.

It may be slang in the first instance.
It may be culturally using English words differently.
It may be used in pop music or whatever it is called, to be shocking or a talking point, or they think it sounds good etc.

But to call all those who do it, ignorant and stupid, is rather harsh, if not incorrect in some instances I would have thought.