Gransnet forums

Pedants' corner

Mothers & Daughters, new book by Erica James

(8 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Mon 20-Feb-23 19:09:24

No, I'm not on the wrong thread. I've got this book and it's a story about a mother and her two daughters. However, she refers to the first daughter as the eldest and the second daughter as the youngest. I'm pretty sure this should be elder and younger and it keeps bugging me as I'm reading an otherwise excellent book.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 20-Feb-23 19:12:50

It would bug me too. Is there a possibility that there was a miscarriage or stillbirth between the two, though?

kittylester Mon 20-Feb-23 19:29:03

I love Erica James - hope it's good despite everything. Please let us know...... about the book.

Witzend Mon 20-Feb-23 19:29:48

Yes, I’d agree, grannyrebel.

Publishers’ editing is certainly not wot it used to be!

I seem to recall ‘eldest’ instead of ‘elder’ in a Jane Austen novel, but I couldn’t say which.

Chardy Mon 20-Feb-23 21:35:34

Yes it annoys me too. And it's becoming increasingly common. R4 talking about someone's (Charles's?) eldest son recently.

welbeck Tue 21-Feb-23 01:05:06

i see what you mean, but as there is no confusion of meaning, it wouldn't bother me.
guess i don't belong in this particular corner...

welbeck Tue 21-Feb-23 01:06:03

(as long as the sinks stay out of the bathroom...)

grandtanteJE65 Tue 21-Feb-23 15:07:03

Grammatically it should be the elder when we are talking of two, and eldest when we talk of three or more.

However, some famous grammarian, and I cannot remember if it was Fowler or not, states that if you have only two children, sisters, brothers etc. you can correctly referred to the older of the two as the eldest.

The reasoning is not given, but perhaps this usage dates from the times when families were larger and children who had died in childhood were still counted when relatives enumerated the family.